Hi, I'm thinking of installing a red/red lace sensor humbucker into the bridge position of my telecaster (MIM).

However, I'm going to need to make the bridge cavity larger, as it can barely fit my single coil, what would be the best way of doing this? The best tools? -is it a viable option to do it myself? etc.

Also, there's a few other considerations I need to take into account, ie, a new bridge, getting hold of the pup and the wiring, would that be particularly difficult btw? Are there any other things I need to be concerned about?

Thanks
a chisel and some copper sheilding for the pup cavity. im a big fan of tele's with humbuckers but never herd of a red lace sensor?
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by travs2448
a chisel and some copper sheilding for the pup cavity. im a big fan of tele's with humbuckers but never herd of a red lace sensor?

Really? A chisel will suffice? I was worried I might need a dremel or a proper router, that's great then.

And yeah these are the lace sensors, http://www.lacemusic.com/electric_pickups/dually_series/dually_specs.php,

they're pretty cool, Jonny Greenwood favours the dual red set, I'm inclined to agree
I think I'd be using a router - there's really not a lot of margin for error - tele bridges only just cover up the pickup route anyway.
I second the router.
How would you use a dremel? Unless, they came out with some new spangled Dremel add-on mechanism...
Can you believe that to get a stand that acts like a drill press for a Dremel is 60 bucks? Imagine what a routing add-on would be like!
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
I second the router.
How would you use a dremel? Unless, they came out with some new spangled Dremel add-on mechanism...
Can you believe that to get a stand that acts like a drill press for a Dremel is 60 bucks? Imagine what a routing add-on would be like!
$30 ~ $35.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
$30 ~ $35.

Really?
I don't know where you are from... But I'm from Canada.
So, Canadian is more expensive.
Prices never change with the exchange rate. Which is retarted IMO.
the john 5 tele has a 50's style bridge designed for a humbucker. im actually thinking of buying one for my tele. and i just suggest that you be careful using the router because its really easy to take off too much, take it from a person with experience. although i dont really see any better way of making the cavity bigger
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
Quote by SoLgEr
the john 5 tele has a 50's style bridge designed for a humbucker. im actually thinking of buying one for my tele. and i just suggest that you be careful using the router because its really easy to take off too much, take it from a person with experience. although i dont really see any better way of making the cavity bigger

It isn't that hard to avoid taking off too much. In fact, it's pretty hard to take off to much if you have a decent router. Most plunge routers have a plunge depth setter, and if you want to do it in 2 passes, divide the amount you want to route by 2. Simple as that.
Hey guys, thanks for the responses, they've been a massive help.

Got a few more questions though .

Would this be suitable for routing my guitar http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Einhell-EOF1200-Router-BRAND-NEW-SALE-PRICE-rrp-69_W0QQitemZ390053639611QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM?hash=item5ad10235bb#ht_4080wt_732 ?

Also for a bridge (my current bridge has 4 screw all in a straight line) however the closest I have found is this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Guitar-Saddle-Hard-Tail-Bridge-Chrome-w-Allen-Key_W0QQitemZ270475439341QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item3ef997aced#ht_3325wt_912, which has 3 screws, would any of the screw holes match the current one (ie the two outside screws)?

And, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-METAL-HUMBUCKER-PICKUP-RING-SURROUND-GUITAR-CHROME_W0QQitemZ390109546704QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item5ad45748d0, would a humbucker ring cover the cavity?

Oh, and it isn't a big problem that I would need drill more holes for screws, is it? And is there much difference between a cheap bridge and an expensive bridge?

Thanks
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
im gonna get the red and blue single coil laces for my tele =]

gear
Yamaha Pacifica 612v
Squier Tele
Roland Cube 30x
Freshman Acoustic
I'm doing something similar to this for my bridge pickup. I am fairly sure it's as simple as routing the space you need.

<3 Loveless, btw.
One other question guys, would I be OK to route a cavity for a humbucker, but leave the single coil in there for the time being, as it's kinda tricky to get hold of lace sensor, particularly dual lace sensors, in the UK.
yeah, you can leave as much space as you want in the route under there.

I believe this applies with the tele bridge as well...
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!