First, let me describe what I am tryin to accomplish. I love metallica's and justice for all feel. I believe if I am not mistaken they employed a lot of pedal tones, to my understanding that is pretty much hammering away on the open of the low e string then flavor the riffs through power cords or runs on the a and d string. I guess motely crue used this technique a lot as well. Also I love heavy crunchy breakdowns like some bands from death core. Gojira's sound is very appealing to me and I hear a lot of Metallica and Meshuggah in them.

My question is, will a 7 string guitar like Ibanez's cheapest model or the ESP SC be capable of playing pedal tones like metallica did without being muddied down. My brother has a 7 string schecter and it seemed to get pretty muddied when hammering away on the b string quickly. I dont want to spend more money on another guitar that isnt capable of both. If anyone can give me some advice on their experiences with the different 7 strings I would appreciate it a lot. If not Ill prolly trade my guitars in on a Jackson 6 string.

As far as my current setup goes: I have a Fender Custom Deluxe 2 x 12 amp, a Tony Iommi SG and a Goth SG. My pedals are a big muff and an electro harmonix flanger.
Last edited by wmd13 at Oct 22, 2009,
A lot of the mud that you're talking about it going to be from EQ, and the fact that you're using a big muff, and a Fender amp. That's not exactly Metallica equipment, but I'm sure with some knob fiddling you could accomplish it. Try getting a distortion pedal, or using your Fender's drive channel with an overdrive in front of it, that usually tightens up the tone pretty well. If buying more pedals is out of your budget, then I'd suggest using a bit more mids, and rolling up the tone knob on your fuzz.

tl;dr- play with knobs.
the amp will give you that distinctive sound, metallica were using Mesa's and Tubescreamers to thicken up their sound, try to get any high gain distortion in front of the clean channel or other amp
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Quote by Adrian89
the amp will give you that distinctive sound, metallica were using Mesa's and Tubescreamers to thicken up their sound, try to get any high gain distortion in front of the clean channel or other amp

From what I heard, back then they used JCMs.
You can always turn down the bass and turn up the drums and guitars when no one is around!

I would just keep on fiddling around with your knobs until you get the sound you want. I know it doesnt sound helpful, but I discover new sounds all the time by randomly tinkering with my settings.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL