For example, the Marshall 1960AX has 4 greenbacks, and the 1960A has 4 GT12-75 speakers, is the only difference in sound the speakers or is there something else to it? Like, if I put vintage 30s in both of them would they sound exactly the same or is there some differnce in the electronics?
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
Last edited by hardrockerdave9 at Oct 22, 2009,
idk but im assuming there would be different acoustics if the cabinet has a closed back or something like that
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
Yeah, Speakers, Watts, Sound acoustics all that good stuff change your tone Hell, even the size of the magnet on the back of your speaker will change what your guitar sounds like.
I don't read, I look at words and absorb their meanings.
If the pit was a group of people hangin out we would be possibly the most awsome group of people to be known to mankind.........I think it would be on the news
A closed-back cabinet will have a tighter, more compressed tone, as the bass is only allowed to penetrate forward.
While an open-back cabinet is the opposite, it allows for more mellow, spacey bass, ideal for jazz.

The wood doesn't have a huge amount of impact on the tone, tbh. A little bit, I guess, but don't worry about it, most cabinets are made very similarly.

The speakers are obviously going to affect the tone. But if you put V30's in both cabinets, I sincerely doubt you'll be able to tell a difference between the two. Not enough to warrant worrying about it, IMO.

Why do you ask?
Quote by AngryGoldfish
The speakers are obviously going to affect the tone. But if you put V30's in both cabinets, I sincerely doubt you'll be able to tell a difference between the two. Not enough to warrant worrying about it, IMO.

But put V30s in the 1960, an Orange, and a Mesa Rec. cabinet, and you will probably hear subtle differences.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Materials used, cab size, cab construction, etc all have an affect on your tone.

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
But put V30s in the 1960, an Orange, and a Mesa Rec. cabinet, and you will probably hear subtle differences.

+1

Two cabinets made by the same company (and in this case the cabinets you mentioned are pretty much the same exact model, only with different speakers) usually aren't going to differ much in construction, build material, quality, etc. unless you're taking a high end cab and comparing it to a cheap cab.

However, different companies use different materials, have different build methods, have slightly different layouts, etc so you will notice subtle difference between cabs from different companies with the same speakers (i.e. a Marshall 1960 with V30s and a Mesa Recto with V30s).