Poll: ???
Poll Options
View poll results: ???
Yes
17 40%
No
25 60%
Voters: 42.
you can sing a huge range ... but if youre tone is shit, you will sound shit no matter what amazing range you have
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Depends on what they're singing and the tonal qualities of their voice. I wouldn't say that a wider range automatically makes them a better singer, but it does tend to be good singers who make the effort to extend their range.

Case by case, methinks
It can make you more interesting to listen to, if you sing a song that makes use of that large range. However, if a song has an average range of notes, then it probably would make little difference. Its obviously useful to have a large range though.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
A wide range is a really good thing in case your tone is good and you can sing in the right key.
An "it depends" option would be nice. Jim Morrison and Johnny Cash had pretty limited ranges, but they sounded great. Likewise, Axl Rose has a very wide range, but his tone is disgusting (which could be good or bad.)
I think Captain Beefheart has a range of 4 octaves or something. Do you think he sounds pleasant?
I think naturally we prefer higher pitches, that's why violins and other high instruments get the tune in orchestras a lot of the time and why sopranos usually get the tune in choirs. It's also why double bass or cello concertos will have lots of really high notes.
I don't think that's necessarily because we like higher pitches, I think it's because higher pitches stand out over lower pitches.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

Quote by GangsterLi
you can sing a huge range ... but if youre tone is shit, you will sound shit no matter what amazing range you have

**** yes.
a good singer has a nice tone to their voice, a great singer has a good tone and shows off their range.
Who has better tone... Axl Rose or Frank Sinatra?

'nuff said?

On the other hand, who has better tone..... Bruce Dickenson or Tom Waits?

See..... tone has nothing to do with range or register.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by imaginary.frnd
A wide range is a really good thing in case your tone is good and you can sing in the right key.

you forgot to mention that naked hot chicks are good, but paying taxes is not fun. also, everyone alive today was born at some point.
Quote by GrisKy
you forgot to mention that naked hot chicks are good, but paying taxes is not fun. also, everyone alive today was born at some point.

So sigworthy!

As everyone else has said, it depends on the singers tone quality.

Oh and just to let you guys know, Axl uses falsetto.
Quote by GrisKy

if i have room thats a sig.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm