I have to write an essay on a painting for english about a painting. The book describes it as "interrogate the painting, to get it to speal, to engage with the past in some form of dialogue" (wtf?). Thing is though, I don't know shit about paintings. So if someone could point me in the direction of some cool paintings that I could write a few pages on I'd be quite appreciative.
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
Salvador Dali stuff.

You'll thank me later.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
i went to a art gallery in liverpool that had a pretty funky modern hamster cage i was like whoa!

Edit: i am not a furry lover ignore this^
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
Quote by Momentosis
Salvador Dali stuff.

You'll thank me later.

That shit's bananas.
Quote by ChemicalFire

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
Didn't now there was a surreal art thread. Thanks.
Quote by ChemicalFire

Quote by GodofCheesecake

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Also, I'm terrible at analyzing things, how can I tell what a painting means? I tend to just take these kind of things at face value and not really think about them.
Quote by ChemicalFire

Quote by GodofCheesecake

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
My step-mom is an artist and has this one really cool painting. I'll see if she has any pictures of it because I doubt I can drive 45 minutes to Kansas University, where she works and home to her main studio, get a picture of it and come back.
I should do the original pear picture. Does anyone know what it's called.
Quote by ChemicalFire

Quote by GodofCheesecake

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Quote by Monolith295
Also, I'm terrible at analyzing things, how can I tell what a painting means? I tend to just take these kind of things at face value and not really think about them.

Think of the techniques used and stuff.

Juxtaposition?

Image within an image?

Illusions?

Duplicity?

etc.

Quote by CrossBack7
Quote by Monolith295
I should do the original pear picture. Does anyone know what it's called.

Biting Pear of Salamanca.

Quote by CrossBack7
Quote by Monolith295

I had a project like this once but it was a pain in the ass because we had to define it using all 5 of the human senses. I struggled with it but eventually just wrote my own story around it and it was easy as hell. Finished the paper in a few hours.
If you're not wasted your day is.