NKT275, Germanium of PNP configuration. Ive searched most of the websites listed in the central thread, and none have them. Am I not typing this in right? Can anyone point me in the right direction?
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
United States.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Didn't look thru that central thread, but you try Mouser or DigiKey? I recall that some stuff didn't come up on their sites, but are in the master catalogs, so you may have to call them.
Good luck my friend, you will absolutely need it.

NKT275 are, for all intents and purposes, long gone.

Even boutique builders are using reproductions, and even THOSE are scarce.

You will NOT find them at Mouser and the like.

Last time I heard of someone getting their hands on any more than 1 or 2, it was some builder out west, and somehow got access to an old WWII B52 graveyard to scavenge from.
Rutch, you sound like you're in the know - newb question - whats so special about these/ what are they typically used for? Any good substitutes?
Quote by Rutch
Good luck my friend, you will absolutely need it.

NKT275 are, for all intents and purposes, long gone.

Even boutique builders are using reproductions, and even THOSE are scarce.

You will NOT find them at Mouser and the like.

Last time I heard of someone getting their hands on any more than 1 or 2, it was some builder out west, and somehow got access to an old WWII B52 graveyard to scavenge from.

Soooooo, is there a alternative? I need these to build a pedal.

http://smallbox.zeonhost.com/projects/fface/

It was in the central hub thing.

Also, I tried Mouser. My brother told me his college professors use it. And I didnt find them.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Last edited by fender4482 at Oct 22, 2009,
Quote by fender4482
Soooooo, is there a alternative? I need these to build a pedal.
For Q1 and Q2, NKT275 or other good germanium transistor of
the PnP Configuration. JD Sleep (www.generalguitargadgets.com)
recommends these other substitutions:

NKT275
AC128
2N508A
2N527
NTE158
NTE126
http://smallbox.zeonhost.com/projects/fface/fface.txt

You might also want to read this:
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/fuzzface/fffram.htm
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Well, I thought you meant a large quantity, finding individual ones is not too tough, but they are going to be repros.

A good start would be scouring old time electronics shops, or picking over old junk organs.

Ham radio guys might have some, or at least some pointers.

NTE158 is a popular alternative, I think AC125 will work very well, but I've never tried one.

Personally, I think it's a bit of hype...
The FF is finicky, though, so do yourself and install a socket for trying a few.

Not all Ge trannies are created equal, and blowing fifty bucks on a jen-yoo-wine NKT275 is a risky proposition. That's why so many DIY guys are looking for large lots, as a lot of them get tossed.

Lord Google tells me these are some equivalent Ges: 2sa49, 2sa53, 2sa52, 2sb56, 2sb415, ac127, ac128, ac176, ac187, 2sd72k.

Don't know nuthin' about these, though...

Are you set on Ge? There are lots of great Si options out there, and they're definitely a bit more "stable".

EDIT: Damn, SYK, you fast!
Quote by Rutch
lol.

The quote is from a link I went to, from the page TS linked to.
And RG Keen is pretty much a given, for reading about pedal architecture.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Hmm - well if you're building a FuzzFace clone, I'd think so long as its a germanium PNP it'll at least get you up and running - them maybe later you can try to source a better sounding transistor if you feel you need to.

For instance, this schem has alternatives: Schematic

Point being, there's tons of FuzzFace schematics out there, see what others have done to get around the phantom NKT275..
Quote by Rutch
Well, I thought you meant a large quantity, finding individual ones is not too tough, but they are going to be repros.

A good start would be scouring old time electronics shops, or picking over old junk organs.

Ham radio guys might have some, or at least some pointers.

NTE158 is a popular alternative, I think AC125 will work very well, but I've never tried one.

Personally, I think it's a bit of hype...
The FF is finicky, though, so do yourself and install a socket for trying a few.

Not all Ge trannies are created equal, and blowing fifty bucks on a jen-yoo-wine NKT275 is a risky proposition. That's why so many DIY guys are looking for large lots, as a lot of them get tossed.

Lord Google tells me these are some equivalent Ges: 2sa49, 2sa53, 2sa52, 2sb56, 2sb415, ac127, ac128, ac176, ac187, 2sd72k.

Don't know nuthin' about these, though...

Are you set on Ge? There are lots of great Si options out there, and they're definitely a bit more "stable".

No, this is my first build, so anything to get me through it is fine with me.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by fender4482
No, this is my first build, so anything to get me through it is fine with me.

In that case, use this as an opportunity to really sample a large swath of Ge flavor.

If you stick socket in there, you can practically A/B tons of different trannies. Get a feel for what sounds good to YOUR ears, and avoid the hype entirely.

FWIW, the NKT275 isn't so much sought after because of the sound, but the fact that it makes such great sound withOUT some of the hisssss that higher-leakage trannies cause.
That is definitely NOT hype, but there's still options.
Quote by Rutch
In that case, use this as an opportunity to really sample a large swath of Ge flavor.

If you stick socket in there, you can practically A/B tons of different trannies. Get a feel for what sounds good to YOUR ears, and avoid the hype entirely.

FWIW, the NKT275 isn't so much sought after because of the sound, but the fact that it makes such great sound withOUT some of the hisssss that higher-leakage trannies cause.
That is definitely NOT hype, but there's still options.

What? So, any transistor will work is what your saying, it just won't sound the same??
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Yes - socketing FTW - when I was modding my DS1 I decided to socket the clipping diodes since I was seeing so many different suggestions for them, and I'm so glad I did, in the end none of them sounded the best to me so I did my own mix n match. There is a lot of hype out there, and your particular amp will have it's own taste too.
Quote by fender4482
What? So, any transistor will work is what your saying, it just won't sound the same??

So long as it's a PNP, generally yes, any transistor will 'work' - some just may sound like butt. And some you won't even be able to tell a difference. I'd think that the biggest difference would be germanium vs silicon, generally it's thought that germanium components sound better in audio circuits, but there's hype there too. And if you socket it, you can live with the pedal for a few days then go back and change it easily - sometimes you won't hear all the nuances until you've spent some time with it and your amp.
Last edited by Poster_Nutbag at Oct 22, 2009,