I apologize to Cianyx for taking away a bit of radio time, but I'll be out tomorrow and I probably won't be able to go on UG at all. So I have to post it now.

I decided to be lame and went with a theme. I present to you all 8 tracks of pure, old school doom. 8 bands that epitomize what true doom is.

http://8tracks.com/ugpowerslave/ugpowerslave-s-october-2009-mix

1. Black Sabbath - Children of the Grave:

What better way to kick off a list of doom than with something off of Sabbath's Master of Reality? MoR was the first true doom (and metal) album. With sludgey, slow, down-tuned riffs this was the heaviest album of its time and it paved the way for all of metal music to come in the 38+ years following its release.

2. Pentagram - Relentless:
Since the 70's Pentagram has been a driving force in the underground metal scene releasing album upon album of crushing metal. Pentagram's debut remains a pillar in the genre.

3. Solomon Kane - The Dread:
Solomon Kane are one of the strangest acts I've ever heard. The band is one of the longest running doom and metal acts, period. Despite this fact, they've only managed to release one song, that was recorded live. What's found in "The Dread" is nothing but heart stopping and heavy doom metal with that classic Sabbath vibe. The band's (extremely overdue) full length is nearing completion, and should be watched out for in the future.

4. Blood Farmers - Orgy of the Rats:
What we have here is the epitome of a hidden gem. The band released only one album in '95. And that was really it. But that one album is among the greatest albums I've ever heard. Within the album one discovers a world dominated by Black Sabbath and Saint Vitus. The vocalist is very unique, and powerful, but fits in with the music perfectly. Easily one of the most badass vocalists I've heard.

5. Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead:
This isn't pure doom. It's very close, but not quite there. I felt it was necessary to include Cirith Ungol, though. Since King of the Dead, Cirith Ungol have been an influence to every true doom band. Cirith's unique blend of traditional metal, doom, and 70's prog rock is definitely worth a mention.

6. Paul Chain - Three Water:
Moving slightly away from the very old school vibe we have Paul Chain, the Italian Master of Metal. The man is strange, but he cannot be described as anything other than a true artist. Among Mr. Chain's dozens of offerings Alkahest stands as his best Doom effort. The solos in the album, and on this particular song, are to die for.

7. Millarca - Into the Forest:
Millarca are also an oddity. They belong to the small, but great, genre of Epic Doom. They're the only band of that genre to ever come out of Japan, and Asia, really. Sadly, they only managed two albums before disbanding. The band's first and self-titled demo presents good, but slightly standard and generic doom metal. The band's second demo titled Drunstall, presents a band that's clearly grown and matured. Millarca showed true potential, but unfortunately ended too soon.

8. Solstice - Only the Strong:
There was no way I could make a list of Doom and not include Solstice. This song in particular really helped me come to an epiphany. It showed me how great doom could be, and it remains to be one of my favorite songs to date.

OCT 30 bootyguard
NOV 06 The Virtuoso
NOV 13 AnnihiSlateR
NOV 20 Scout1011
NOV 27 vanshaya
DEC 04 MoogleRancha
DEC 11 eazy-c
DEC 18 woodenbandman
Christmas Day Special Cianyx
New Years Day Special Psychopathology
JAN 8 piratemetalhead
JAN 15 \Powerslave/
JAN 22 Scourge441
Last edited by \Powerslave/ at Oct 25, 2009,
cool, i'll have to listen to this
Quote by severed-metal
These don't sound like very good ambitions when driving...Judas Priest makes people want to go 200 mph, and Realm of Chaos is now an album for ramming shit. You are dangerous, dangerous people.

last.fm
Old school's not my favorite type of doom, but looks good anyway. Listening now.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Quote by CG Man16
Old school's not my favorite type of doom, but looks good anyway. Listening now.

That's the forum's problem I'm trying to fix.
Blood Farmers... killer. I wasn't aware they had fans.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by \Powerslave/
That's the forum's problem I'm trying to fix.

I like epic doom better
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Quote by \Powerslave/
Paul Chain, Millarca, and Solstice

Great bands, just doesn't tickle my fancy as much as bands like scald
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
Quote by CG Man16

Your logic is broken. That's like me saying I don't like all metal because Tyrant is too good.
Quote by \Powerslave/
Your logic is broken. That's like me saying I don't like all metal because Tyrant is too good.

Quote by CG Man16

That, i still love old school, but not as much.
Quote by severed-metal

Quote by Morphogenesis26
**** yeah, nothing beats traditional doom. I'll listen tomorrow night, though, not enough time right now, but I recognize most of those bands.
Nice list of course, and there's a few bands on there that I actually havent heard of that I will be checking out.

That reminds me I really need to get the Blood Farmers full-length. I own the Permanent Brain Damage demo which is excellent, especially the song Behind the Brown Door.

And I would KILL to be able to find somewhere that sells Paul Chain's older more doom oriented albums. I only physically own Park of Reason. I guess this is one band that I will actually have to download.
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
Amazing playlist, i just 'got' Cirith Ungol thanks to this, last time i heard them i was put off a bit for whatever reason but now i need to get their debut.
Time for a verdict!

Black Sabbath - Holy jesus, my favourite song by them. I have no other words to say other than purely awesome

Pentagram - Really good doom to say the least, already heard...Gonna be hard to pick a favourite on this list.

Solomon Kane - Didn't like as much as everything else. Powerful, cool..but just didn't hit me right. It's the vocals easily, the echo's the follow threw me off.

Blood Farmers - Have not heard before this day, listened to them for the first time...simply amazing. Really great vibe, they pulled it off really well with the whole doom, but with better production. The vocals were my favourite part, by far.

Cirith Ungol - Great stuff as usual, I enjoy the vocalisation, but it can be a little much at time. Still really diverse from most bands, just really good. The guitar work is brilliant.

Paul Chain - Not sure what to think..in a good way though. Was good..I zoned out very quickly to this song, just really..mesmorizing.

Millarca - Great stuff, vocals are strong. Riffs well placed, good moments, nothing I could think of that ruined that song.

Solstice - Last but not least, one of the better songs. Reminded me of Millarca a little, vocal wise. Solstice is really good and they definitely should be more well known.

Great list
Dont know Solomon Kane and Blood Farmers, will check out......great choice of the best Solstice songs!
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by severed-metal
Time for a verdict!

Black Sabbath - Holy jesus, my favourite song by them. I have no other words to say other than purely awesome

Pentagram - Really good doom to say the least, already heard...Gonna be hard to pick a favourite on this list.

Solomon Kane - Didn't like as much as everything else. Powerful, cool..but just didn't hit me right. It's the vocals easily, the echo's the follow threw me off.

Blood Farmers - Have not heard before this day, listened to them for the first time...simply amazing. Really great vibe, they pulled it off really well with the whole doom, but with better production. The vocals were my favourite part, by far.

Cirith Ungol - Great stuff as usual, I enjoy the vocalisation, but it can be a little much at time. Still really diverse from most bands, just really good. The guitar work is brilliant.

Paul Chain - Not sure what to think..in a good way though. Was good..I zoned out very quickly to this song, just really..mesmorizing.

Millarca - Great stuff, vocals are strong. Riffs well placed, good moments, nothing I could think of that ruined that song.

Solstice - Last but not least, one of the better songs. Reminded me of Millarca a little, vocal wise. Solstice is really good and they definitely should be more well known.

Great list

Solomon Kane and Millarca, just by the nature of their recordings, are the weakest on the list. They both have incredible potential, Millarca especially. The vocals just have so much character and charisma, man I really wish the vocalist had another project.

Really glad you guys liked it, always great to turn people on to bands like Blood Farmers.
Add me to the list at the end, please?
Last edited by Scourge441 at Oct 25, 2009,
Blood Farmers. Where have you been all my life?
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Powerslave I envy your musical choices. This is some great stuff, definitely gonna look more into this. Kind of sucks that Solomon Kane only had one demo out. Oh and nice choice of Sabbath and Solstice in there, classic bands.
I drink your milkshake.
Quote by SeveredSurvival
Powerslave I envy your musical choices. This is some great stuff, definitely gonna look more into this. Kind of sucks that Solomon Kane only had one demo out. Oh and nice choice of Sabbath and Solstice in there, classic bands.

They've been working on a new album for...decades. Everything, as of a while ago, except the vocals are done. Should be out on Shadow Kingdom fairly soon (relatively speaking...).
nice list but i do have one problem with your doom metal list
WHERE IS CANDLEMASS!!!
i wouldve chucked on a song from theyre first album epicus doomicus metalicus (yeah, chessy name, good album but)
Old school, not meaning time period, but style.

Like Pentagram, Saint Vitus, Black Sabbath, etc.

Candlemass utilizes epic doom metal stylings.
Philosophy > Life
Good bands as usual, I've come to expect nothing less from you Powerslave.

Also, since bootyguard is like three days late on his mix, and I'm eager to share my mix, perhaps if he doesn't post by say tomorrow I'll put mine up late that night or early Tuesday, unless anyone has any objections, if so I can wait. Opinions then?
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
hmm, instead of making yours last longer, perhaps i could squeeze in one of mine until it's your turn on friday? i've already got some made up and i know which one i want to use, actually

if that's cool with you 8)
Sounds cool man, I can wait till Friday.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.