So I've been listening to some Steve Vai lately, and I know he uses Carvin. But what does UG think? How are the Carvins? The X100B? The Legacy? Can they get a good classic rock sound? Gimme some feedback

EDIT: I mean Carvin amps

EDIT2: I'm saving up to buy a Orange Tiny Terror. Do you think I should go for a Carvin instead? Which model also?
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Last edited by guitarlord28 at Oct 22, 2009,
Pretty sure Steve Vai uses Ibanez signatures exclusively.

Unless he recently switched...
Quote by david9d5
You, my friend, win in epic proportions

Quote by sharpshootr55

Man... now I gotta clean my laptop screen.

Quote by ozzyismetal
^That has too much win for me to handle....
I think I need a glass of water and a nap.

Quote by Zangetsu 101

he meant carvin amps not guitars
Quote by LaGrange
Shouldnt have said the unspoken words of MG in the pit. Now look at what ya dun.

Quote by Mecler
A guitar made of wood?
That's such a ****ing brilliant idea!
Quote by Zangetsu 101

This is the GG&A forum. He uses Carvin amps, not guitars.

I own two Carvin amps (the SX100, and the discontinued Quad-X pre-amp) and I have absolutely nothing bad to say. The bang for buck cannot be beat, the customer service is fantastic, and the quality is outstanding.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Carvin's are relatively inexpensive, very well built, and sound great - they are very hard to beat (this goes for their guitars and their amps!).
The phrase 'pretty fucking tasty' is appropriate here.

The clean channel on the Legacy is amazing. I'm not sure about how the tone from this one compares to the second model, but the II does have a master volume, plus more power switching options, so it's definately more bedroom friendly.
x100b has one of the greatest clean tones ever, and a pretty bitchin' lead channel.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I had a Legacy a long time ago. Its a pretty sweet amp. AMAZING clean channel. Smooth and dark dirt channel that can get pretty aggressive in the right hands.

I'd say just get a Legacy instead of a Tiny Terror. The only complaint I had about the Legacy is how ungodly loud it was, and the lack of a taper on the master volume. Seriously...its a hair trigger.
Bogner Ecstasy 101b
Sampson Era Bad Cat Black Cat 30R
1993 Mesa Dual Rectifier
Gibson Les Paul Custom (ebony)
Gibson SG Faded (brown)
Rickenbacker 650D
Eventide Timefactor
Diamond Memory Lane 2
Keeley Compressor (2 knob)
Korg Pitchblack
I got a legacy 2 months ago and its great ( should post pics in a new thread later.). amazing clean and distortion. Buy the legacy and you wont regret it.
Gear:

Guitars:
Ibanez Gio
Ibanez S470DXQM
Alvarez RD20SSB

Amps:
Carvin Legacy
Cube 15

Pedals:
Boss CH1
Milkshake Chorus
Crybaby 535Q
The Legacy isn't really meant to be a super high gain amp...
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by maggot2011
Sorry to thread jack but how would Carvin amps like the Legacy or the MTS handle modern metal like August Burns Red or Protest the Hero?

The Legacy wouldn't be all that great for it IMO. It's not chunky enough. I've never played an MTS though so I have no idea on that one.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
The MTS's probably have the best ability to nail the more metal tones, not to say that the Legacy, X100B, or V3 couldn't. I actually enjoyed the X100B series more than the V3, which I owned for about 6 months.
It might be because the speakers in my cab have an assload of low end to them, but I've never had any problems with playing a bit of metal.

Jason Becker was heavy as tits with a stock X100b, and the Legacy is pretty much Vai's version of that amp. Remember he uses a seven-string quite often, so I'm sure he had something done about retaining clarity with the lower notes.
carvin amps are very underrated, my carvin mts rocks, cleans of a fender and dirty that rivals a mesa
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
sorry to be another thread jacker, but what is the comparison of the legacy to something like the mesa mk v or dual recto in terms of versatility??
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
^ The mesa's get a bit more crunch to them, and have a different voicing.

The good thing about Carvins is they have crap resale value generally. So they can be found used at a cheap price.

The bad thing about Carvins is they have crap resale value generally. So selling them used you don't get much.

But the amps themselves are great for most genres, imo.
So a Carvin would be better for me that a TT? I play Classic Rock, Blues, etc. And which one? Legacy? Legacy II? X100B? V3? And would it really matter for the sound if I bought a head or a combo?
Quote by guitarlord28
So a Carvin would be better for me that a TT? I play Classic Rock, Blues, etc. And which one? Legacy? Legacy II? X100B? V3? And would it really matter for the sound if I bought a head or a combo?

Pretty much any Carvin slaughters the TT.
I'd probably get the Legacy II if I were you. Just had a bit of a jam on mine and refreshed myself to how ungodly loud it is. If you want to practice with nice sounding overdrive you'll need the power options of the II.
The Bel Airs and Nomads are also good then?
Quote by maggot2011
Sorry to thread jack but how would Carvin amps like the Legacy or the MTS handle modern metal like August Burns Red or Protest the Hero?

the legacy is not a metal amp but u can always use pedals, also please dont call those bands metal theyre metalcore, in which case there are pedals for that sound