Yes yes put aside out dirty minds for a bit lol

Apart from guitars with locking nuts, why is it the G string always seems to go out of tune so easily? Its happened on numerous guitars ive had.

Ive broken my strings in, stretched them, played them, got good make strings etc.... yet the G string always seems to slip out the most. Ive spoke to a few mates and they pretty much say the same thing.
What about you guys? You ever get trouble with your 'G' Any advice?
LULZ teh G str1nz is teh funnyz!!!!!!!!

Really grow up its not that funny, anyway G is the string where most people tend to bend on.
My theory is that the G string has the loosest tension to note ratio, if that makes any sense... Like... the G string is the loosest string that is still in tune, so you can bend it further then other strings.

Each string has it's own tension, that has to do with the size of the string, that when that string is this tight, it's in tune. You remove tension, it looses pitch. This is why Longer scale guitars can have lower tunings with thinner strings. The length of the string comes in to play on how much tension needs to be on the string, for that certain string to be in tune.

It's crazy really, when you fret a note, you're sort of changing the length and the tension of the string, therefore changing the pitch of the note.

On a floating bridge, it (G string) is the string will change pitch the most, even though all the strings are going the same distance.

You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Oct 22, 2009,
I was thinking its maybe because i use the G string alot, either for chords or lead work. But it just seems to go out so much more. What about tightening the machine heads?
i would go with the bending theory and the biggest gauge difference is between the d and an unwound G
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Quote by Jwdax
I was thinking its maybe because i use the G string alot, either for chords or lead work. But it just seems to go out so much more. What about tightening the machine heads?

The cut of the nut matters more than the tuning heads.
The fact that it tends to be a commonly bent string could play a role.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Well in my band im rhythm guitarist but i also play some lead. And say now i play 4 songs just playing rhe rhythm the g will still go out more than the others. Its frustrating!
Happens to me too
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
Which companies make string sets with wound G-strings?
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by no.mop
Which companies make string sets with wound G-strings?

Alot of Dean Markleys sets come with both a wound and plain G.

Quote by Blast For Satan

Edit: Since switching to a wound G, all my tuning issues have gone.

This could be that when you switched to the wound G, it actually filed out your nut, which was the reason your G was going out of tune in the first place.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Oct 22, 2009,
Quote by Blast For Satan
Edit: Since switching to a wound G, all my tuning issues have gone.

The problem with this is, most people like to bend on the G. And after switching to a wound G, it takes more finger strength to bend. That means you prolly have to build up enough finger strength to do it without bending flat. Most people are too lazy to do that.
Quote by biga29
This could be that when you switched to the wound G, it actually filed out your nut, which was the reason your G was going out of tune in the first place.

Yes, this is true.
G strings are my favorite undies.

EDIT: tl;dr
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Last edited by westdyolf at Oct 22, 2009,
Even with round wounds its kinda iffy. The G-string is too low for just a straight out wire string and too high for a round wound.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Guitargod120
The G-string usually goes out of tune when you hit its G-spot.....

just my opinion

Hahahaha what a witty little snippit
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
i knew someone would lower the tone lmao! Yeah cheap guitars, i used to think it was that, but ive had a few expensive ones which is happens on too so you can rule that out.
I don't get why all my G strings have either sounded dead or really twangy.

Is that because of the tension? I just put a new set of Elixirs on my guitar about a week ago and from the first day the G string sounded dead. Very bothersome.
Maybe...
Do you use a Les Paul / SG / anything with a squarer headstock rather than long?
My LP G string goes all the time simply cos it gets bashed around. Even if you treat it with care, its the tuner that gets put down on, when you think.
If not, i dunno...
My guitar has a V styled headstock, and each tuner is pretty far from the nut, I'd guess probably 2 inches for both E strings, 3.5 inches for the B and A strings and probably 4.5 for the D and G strings.

But I just read that one article in the link... and I'm curious, does anyone know of a string company that makes Elixir-like coated singles? I absolutely hate D'addario's and Ernie Ball's. I'd love to have my own custom set... Coated, that is.
putting it down and leaning it against someting is gonna put it out of tune i dont mean that sarcasticly lol i mean some guitars will detune more than others. But i mean when ur playing it detunes....

Ive got a fernandes monterey elite, before that i had a fernandes ravelle elite and a fender strat and they both had the same trouble. My bandmate let me use his Ibanez Rg550 for about 6months while i was searching for the guitar i wanted and to be fair that thing was superb for staying in tune, but of course it had locking nuts.
Yeah on that side note, I own over 10 electric guitars and the one that stays in tune the best is the RG550. About a year ago I stopped playing it for a while and picked up my Gibson a little more, about six months later I opened the case and played it and it was in perfect tuning, down the cent, just the way I left it. Now on the other hand, my Gibsons and Fenders don't want to stay in tune for five minutes... :/
thats mental, locking nuts held it in tune for that long! Sweet!

I used to snap a load of D strings on my strat. My bandmate thinks i should change the string sizes. I think there are 9's on it at the mo so im gonna restring using 10 or 11............may do the trick :_)