Ok, so I'm starting a band with some people I go to school with. Me and my bass player are pretty much the "leaders" of the band. My bass player goes to a different school than me, my drummer, and my singer. I've already introduced my drummer and bass player. We've arranged a meeting with everyone twice now, and my singer keeps canceling at the last minute to go see his girl friend. My bass player says that we should give him one more chance. My drummer says kick him out. What would be the best decision?
kick him out and judge his reaction to see if he cares or not
i LOVE taylor swift...oyes in a creepy way
Bros before hoes! But everyone forgets that after they get a girlfriend. I think you should give him another chance and if he doesn't show up the next time kick him out. If he begs you to let him back in say no because he already had 3 chances.
Let me get this straight. You have drums, bass, and guitar. Screw the meetings, and the singer(if he doesn't come around), and just start playing. You don't need him to get started, or to find out if the three of you play well together. If you do, and he doesn't want to show up, find another singer, or try to sing yourselves. Rarely is any one member of a band so wonderful and unique, that they can't be replaced.
I wouldn't give him any more chances. If he cancels at the start, he'll continue to cancel forever. Let him have his girlfriend and you can have a band.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
There's a difference between a band and a group of "musicians" talking about music. You can't really kick him out of a band that doesn't exist. Also neither this band or his relationship with his girlfriend will last past high school.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
wow, twice in one week that i get to recommend someone steal someone else's girlfriend!

seriously, then he has no excuses.

or, if you think that'll somehow backfire on the band, maybe you could literally steal her? you know, just kidnap her and tie her up in an abandoned warehouse or grain silo or something.

out of sight, out of mind...
eventually your singer will forget about her and everyone's happy

or you could just find a singer who gives a shit... way less interresting, but whatev.
my singer two years ago did the same thing all the time. we kicked his ass out, even though hes one of our best friends. ultimately, it comes down to their final reaction. if he seems like he doesnt really give a shit, he shouldnt have been in it in the first place, because he'd have quit eventually anyway.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Quote by GrisKy

or, if you think that'll somehow backfire on the band, maybe you could literally steal her? you know, just kidnap her and tie her up in an abandoned warehouse or grain silo or something.

Think of the inspiration that follows for some great lyrics.

Plus I would totally hint at it like "hey man I have an idea for a song that you could write about whats her name... maybe like pretend that everyone else in the band got together and kidnapped her and she's slowly dying in an abandoned warehouse on the outskirts of town... just throwing it out there"

But seriously, I haven't really been able to get far with my project yet but things are looking up. I've gone through 2 guitarists already because the first guy who i never met bailed on us at the last minute... and the 2nd was a friend who didn't learn one of the songs we wanted to practice with and followed it up by saying "im not really worried about it". Having people around like that is only going to hurt you. You need to find people who are reliable and in it for the right reasons or your going to have problems immediately or soon down the road. Plus, he's just a singer...
"ya know, rebecca, ever since you've been in a coma, well, you've really been like the best girlfriend ever!"

-Nathan Explosion

What's amazing is that this isn't the last bandmate you'll have troubles with due to them spending time with their girlfriend.

What these people don't realise is that they are making themselves "whipped" in the relationship, by spending more time on their partner and less time on what they want for themselves. The result is that their relationship becomes less enjoyable, and generally ends quicker. And then they have nothing.

So word of warning to all - having a girl doesn't mean you have to change your life. It just means that you don't have to cook breakfast anymore.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
What's amazing is that this isn't the last bandmate you'll have troubles with due to them spending time with their girlfriend.

What these people don't realise is that they are making themselves "whipped" in the relationship, by spending more time on their partner and less time on what they want for themselves. The result is that their relationship becomes less enjoyable, and generally ends quicker. And then they have nothing.

So word of warning to all - having a girl doesn't mean you have to change your life. It just means that you don't have to cook breakfast anymore.

goddamn Al, you take the words right out'a my mouth!
way to make 'em reach down and grab their balls like theygot a pair!

Chuck Norris wouldn't put up with this shit, that's for damn sure.
Quote by GrisKy
goddamn Al, you take the words right out'a my mouth!

That's not all I took out of your mouth
Soundcloud
good one.

payback is a bitch, remember that.

Last edited by GrisKy at Oct 23, 2009,
Singers seem to be notorious for not showing up to practices from reading all these qualms. Who cares. When my old singer pulled that shit we still just ran the songs. Give him one more chance, and then tough love.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by chokmool
Let me get this straight. You have drums, bass, and guitar. Screw the meetings, and the singer(if he doesn't come around), and just start playing. You don't need him to get started, or to find out if the three of you play well together. If you do, and he doesn't want to show up, find another singer, or try to sing yourselves. Rarely is any one member of a band so wonderful and unique, that they can't be replaced.

This.^

The thing is, you haven't even started jamming yet, so essentially, there is no band to kick him out of yet, so arrange rehearsals, making sure that they are arranged at a time and place that everyone can make if they really wanted to. If he never turns up, obviously it's because he doesn't really want to, so he obviously doesn't really want to be in the band, in which case you are perfectly moraly in the right to look for a different singer.

If he turns up to the first rehearsal but misses the next two without a really good excuse (genuine illness/injury, family emergency, that kinda thing is acceptable. Seeing his girlfriend instead is not acceptable) then sack him.