so i have been playing for about a year and a few months now and im still using my first guitar (a crappy squier lefty stratocaster) and im starting to notice that its becoming a hassle to play with. I knw i shouldnt expect much from it but i now find myself wanting to play certain things and stuff like the action will slow me down.

is it possible that my guitar is slowing down my progress or am i just blaming my poor skill level on my guitar?

sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but i figured it had to do with my technique and progress, i can move it
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
at the least a better guitar would encourage you to play/practice more, usually my main reason why i buy new gear :S
Yes a new guitar will take you to infinity and beyond. I could be lying but at least you'll have a new guitar.
I'm in the same place, I really think a new guitar would really help me out too. When I've played better guitars everything feel much more fluid and natural. But don't expect your playing level to sky rocket the moment you get a new one!!
Quote by pyjamallama
I'm in the same place, I really think a new guitar would really help me out too. When I've played better guitars everything feel much more fluid and natural. But don't expect your playing level to sky rocket the moment you get a new one!!

oh i know i wont get btter right away, the only problem is that i need a new amp (i have a line 6 spider lll) so i wont be getting a new electric guitar for probly another year
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
It's said that a good guitarist can play on anything but with better equipment it will definitely sound better. So you need to figure out if there are actual things about the guitar that bother you or if you are just frustrated because you aren't playing as well as you want.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
Quote by scream_it
It's said that a good guitarist can play on anything but with better equipment it will definitely sound better. So you need to figure out if there are actual things about the guitar that bother you or if you are just frustrated because you aren't playing as well as you want.

its a little of both, i know im not a very good player yet and im willing to work at it, but my guitar has fret buzz, action problems etc. its a basic entry level guitar, only worse because it's left handed
Quote by bellamy_morello
oh i know i wont get btter right away, the only problem is that i need a new amp (i have a line 6 spider lll) so i wont be getting a new electric guitar for probly another year

Oh dear! I bet thats going to be a frustrating wait! Just don't get too impatient and settle for a lower spec guitar. But a new amp will help you out also. I remember when I upgraded from my first crappy practice amp, everything sounded better, and made me feel more confident, which I think helped improve my playing.
Well then if the guitar has problems then I would say that you should invest in something new. Find something that's better than what you have but you also don't need to go to the extreme and get something extravagant. Like you said, a new amp will help quite a bit. So my advice to you is go out and play as many guitars on as many amps as you can and find something you will enjoy and progress with.

Good Luck!!
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
thanks alot for the advice everyone
I think crappy gear can hinder you - it's not exactly full of inspiration. If you have decent gear you're more inclined to pick it up. What i found too, with better pickups you don't get near as much noise when playing distorted. I wasted like a year playing with crappy pick ups trying to perfect my muting technique, when there was actually nothing wrong with it. Also with crappy guitars you usually have to tune them a lot and they just feel awful and have pretty poor sound. UPGRADE!
It could possibly be, hard to say really. I have the same problem, I'm trying to play metal on a cheap, crappy classical lol. I do as much as I can with it, but it is really uncomfortable to play, and TBH, sounds like crap. Though, I've tried out a couple of electrics, and my playing is all right on some, but on others, I know I'm probably gonna have to learn a lot of stuff over again....
Yeah, it's possible.
My playing improves drastically when I play on a guitar that's not entry-level.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
a crappy guitar is the most important guitar to practise on
it makes you stronger
even practising on an old acoustic with stell string will really strengthen your fingers

when you get a new guitar is will feel easy but only because of your old guitar
If your guitar is really bad and, for example, have extremely high action, it's possible that you are stuck because of it. Try a better guitar at your local music shop and see if you are more comfortable. If not, it's your technique.
While it is true that a skilled guitarist on crappy gear will sound better than an unskilled guitartist on great gear, I have found that if you really like your guitar, you will play it a lot more often.
when I got my Fender MIA Strat compared to a shitty Washburn. I could not gallop on the Washburn and I can gallop perfectly on the Strat with no problems. lol So with good gear it makes it easier for you to improve while crappy gear will slow you down in my opinion.
i am 16 and i have been playing for eight years. i use a squier. it is still my first electric guitar, and i bought my second and current acoustic like 5 years ago. it is an ovation series called applause, and it was like $150. i play it every day, and i have no need to get another guitar anytime soon. my amp is still the first i ever had, its a peavy rage 158, about 1.5 feet tall.

i can, though understand maybe if you were using a walmart guitar, but squiers are just fine.
Quote by jammy jam jam
i am 16 and i have been playing for eight years. i use a squier. it is still my first electric guitar, and i bought my second and current acoustic like 5 years ago. it is an ovation series called applause, and it was like $150. i play it every day, and i have no need to get another guitar anytime soon. my amp is still the first i ever had, its a peavy rage 158, about 1.5 feet tall.

i can, though understand maybe if you were using a walmart guitar, but squiers are just fine.

i envy you...im always thinking about a next guitar (but thats my nature...i like to aim towars earning something )

its true though squiers arent at all bad
mine has really good action, extremely easy to play
maybe your was an off one?
Have you tried getting your guitar set up? Take your guitar to a local luthier and have them get the action and intonation set up well on your guitar. It is a lot cheaper than buying a new guitar. I have played on a few Squire guitars in my day and can say that they are not bad guitars.
Ok, this thread finally got me to stop trolling and give my two cents. I never want to stand between a man and a new axe, but if you're not happy with it and feel held back remember guitars are very versatile instruments. From an economic stand point, Squire is built by Fender, under Fender design, however they use much, much cheaper parts and labor. This gives them market share of entry level musicians at a non-bank breaking price. Enough economics...

Remember every thing on a guitar can be adjusted and changed. Start trying variations with it, try new strings of different guages. The action is designed to be easily raised or lowered, but remember to check the intonation after messing with the action. Maybe you need to work on the torsion on the neck. If the pickups hold you back, you can get a good set for relatively cheap. If you are uncomfortable doing any of these things, your local shop will do it for a fair price (even better if a regular).

Hopefully this can help you get through that tough spot until you can get the next one. If you want some information on doing this, PM me. I'm a hardware nut and a hobby of mine includes buying unloved el cheapo guitars and frankensteining them (last project was a Samick bass picked up for $65, completely rebuilt and defretted).
get one. i went from a shitty squier to a les paul and the difference in my playing skyrocketed
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
I'm in the same position mate. When I moved on from my shit Acoustic Solutions to a Line 6 IV, my playing sounded a lot and encouraged me to get better. Now, I've still got my Squier Strat, I'm currently saving for a new guitar, probably an ESP and I'm sure that'll make me even happier
My Gear

Washburn WV40V
Vox VT30
Fender Squier Strat
Behringer UM 300 distortion pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15
my next guitar is going to be a mid level ($650 ish canadian) acoustic, i probably wont get a new amp until next october, then ill get a new electric

maybe your was an off one?

its possible but like i said im a lefty, its so bad that the tone knobs are even on backwards but im not realy complaining (although it sounds like i am) i have played other guitars but they werent that much better quality wise (my options are VERY limited as a lefty) though a few of them did feel good
A new guitar encourages you to play more, it will have a better sound and will have a nicer neck to play on, will be more balanced and generally will improve your playing
I started learning on a crappy guitar. I then inherited by uncle's Gibson ES-330, and suddenly everything sounded a lot better. This motivated me to learn more, and become a better player. I now play my original guitar all the time, just because I love it. Everything now sounds as good as it did on the Gibson, because I improved as a player. Go figure.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
getting a setup, or even doing a basic setup yourself is the biggest thing you can do. Chances are it was just set up poorly at the factory (which is common).

Recently i lowered the action on my epiphone and the difference is night and day. Im gonna run it over to music shop later in the week and have them do a full setup on it.
I'm in the same boat as the op. As of right now, all I have is a shitty squire strat, a kinda decent fender G-dec junior, and 2 digitech pedals which are actually pretty good. However, my dad recently just ordered me a new guitar for an early birthday present (my birthday is November 25) And it's one I've been wanting for a while. A washburn maya DD60 http://www.washburn.com/electrics/donegan/#dd60vrf second one on the page, a signature model of my favorite guitarist, Dan Donegan. We got it new for $500 (although he list price is $800) and it's supposed to be here by Tuesday, once I get it and after I have my local guitar shop set it up, I'll post back here to let everyone know how much it's helped (and I'm positive it will help quit a bit)
Dude, the problems you've described sound like they could all be solved with a set up.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.