Hey.
I'm pretty rough at Java programming and want a fun project to cut my teeth before I start advanced programming next term.
Basically I'm just looking for another programmer who is able to work over msn or some sort of drop box system.

I have a few ideas about games.
Final Fantasy 8 bit style RPG. Probably the easiest to do right off the bat if only for the huge amount of spirits already available.

a Shenmue 8bit RPG. The battle system might be a bit limited because the lack of special moves in the Dreamcast games. But it'd be pretty solid and would be good fun to implement those Quick Time Action events.

You can see the focus is on 8bit. This is because it'd be a lot easier in terms of animation and art.

But I'm pretty open to ideas.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Now, I can't help you at all, just saying, I'd like to see that game when done

Shenmue!!
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
haha thanks for the interest.
I agree, Shemue was the shit.

I don't think I can do the project on my own though
This is relevant to my interests.
Im currently in a Programming class at school (I will be until I graduate at the end of next year) We just happen to be working on Java right now. I'm in the class for the whole day for 6 days out of every 12 (not every other day). Plus, there's 10 other people in a class, and a teacher who will take it as an excuse to not do the work we're supposed to be doing.
Mind you, we've been taking Java for about 2 months, but I'm sure 12 people could accomplish it.
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
Quote by Dirge Humani
What would the work entail?

That's the big question.
Do you program? I think it'd probably be better to code up a light game engine. Like blank parameters for the character, the enemies, the environments, NPD's.
That way, once everything is working with each other we'd only have to add content and sow up the loose ends.
Unless there's a more logical way to go about it.
Quote by monkeysintheday
This is relevant to my interests.
Im currently in a Programming class at school (I will be until I graduate at the end of next year) We just happen to be working on Java right now. I'm in the class for the whole day for 6 days out of every 12 (not every other day). Plus, there's 10 other people in a class, and a teacher who will take it as an excuse to not do the work we're supposed to be doing.
Mind you, we've been taking Java for about 2 months, but I'm sure 12 people could accomplish it.

One problem about a large team is that information travels slower between them. 12 people means 144 lines of communication.
For programming it's a problem.
Quote by GaijinFoot

One problem about a large team is that information travels slower between them. 12 people means 144 lines of communication.
For programming it's a problem.

It would be a problem, if 11 out of 12 of said programmers weren't in the same room. However, only a few of the guys out of those 11 would probably be interested, and even at that, it would more than likely be us doing our end of it on one system (as you're probably more experienced) And most of the people with any interest would probably just throw out ideas.
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
Quote by monkeysintheday
It would be a problem, if 11 out of 12 of said programmers weren't in the same room. However, only a few of the guys out of those 11 would probably be interested, and even at that, it would more than likely be us doing our end of it on one system (as you're probably more experienced) And most of the people with any interest would probably just throw out ideas.

I'd prefer to keep things simple for now.
I found a pretty cool coding environment that makes things a bit easier called Greenfoot
I don't know if I could help you out that much in building this thing, but I'd be interested in seeing how you go about doing this. I took 2 years of Java programming at a local college when I was in high school (5 days a week, 3 periods a day) and I went far with it (still doing programming now in college!), but I never got to code any games. Mainly it was all just algorithms and data manipulation-type stuff.

So yeah, I'd love to see how you do this and if you need an extra pair of eyes to look over code if you hit an error or somethin then I think I could help you out there...
Well guys.
I didn't get much interest in the project but I've been slaving away anyway.

I have a short tech demo showing movements, collision detection and animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i00PwXroFKw

I still would like a second programmer immediately but other less important spaces are still available for this project. such as an 8 bit graphic artist. The project is a Shenmue 8Bit RPG so I need an artist who can convert the Shenmue we know into 8 bit.
Immediate requirements are Dojo, Ryo, Lan Di.

Shenmue OST in midi is also needed as well as sound effects.

Script taken from the game. Most importantly the first few minutes of the game.
I could help you out with some RPGmaker chipsets, there are plenty of resources around.

Have you thought about doing a java game that resembles a browser game?

www.hellrising.com

A load of us UG'ers played it a while ago, and some dumb c*nt decided it'd be a good idea for us to declare war on the largest faction, the /b/ alliance!
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I could help you out with some RPGmaker chipsets, there are plenty of resources around.

Have you thought about doing a java game that resembles a browser game?

www.hellrising.com

A load of us UG'ers played it a while ago, and some dumb c*nt decided it'd be a good idea for us to declare war on the largest faction, the /b/ alliance!

I'm not really following you. RPGmaker chipsets?

The game will be in Java, as is that tech demo.
I do want the game to run in a browser. Is that what you mean?
Well, check out hell rising and you'll see what I mean. (I guess a better description would be a text-based java game)

An' youtube rpg maker.
I'm in, I need a refresher before I start next semester of Java.

I'm a bit rusty but I can relearn no sweat.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by woodenbandman
I'm in, I need a refresher before I start next semester of Java.

I'm a bit rusty but I can relearn no sweat.

great! That's the exact reason I started the project.
I'll pm you my msn

Quote by BrianApocalypse
Well, check out hell rising and you'll see what I mean. (I guess a better description would be a text-based java game)

An' youtube rpg maker.

see what you mean now.
Didn't really want to go down that text adventure route.
As for RPG maker. I really just want the java experience. not the game side of it.
Last edited by GaijinFoot at Oct 28, 2009,