Page 1 of 2
hi, i'm Jen. nice to meet you. :P

ok guys, i;m editing the setup thread today and tomorrow.
if you have a good tip for setting up a guitar,

something not found in the first couple posts of the thread.

or maybe you have a better way to say it, or a picture you want me to add.

maybe there's a common question on setting up i missed.

something that you're tired of answering over and over and want it in there, so we can just link future questions to it.

then please post it here now.

i'll look over all the posts and put as many as i can up there, because you guys who help in here are great

thanks EG.

JEnny

a quick link to the thread is in the green sig in my thread.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
never pay $50 above for a guitar setup

and always listen to Jenny
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
hardy har.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

if your going to have to do a set up yourself, it would be a great help if you had nice tools laying around. even if its just for guitar. stew-mac.com will have alot of things that are helpfull with that sort of thing.

Gave it a shot
Classical Guitarist
Jenny - you are a set-up machine

My only contribution is this picture. It is very helpful. Also, a suggestion might be to try to explain how to check for intonation a bit more clearly. Not really sure how to go about doing that - just a suggestion.

Let the good time roll.
haha, ok , i'll look over videos but, i dont like putting too many links as they often expire.
and the thread will probably be there a few more years.

311: ive actually got that pic in the thread. HHAA thanks ippon

and Zep, i like that idea. i'll put together a pic or find pic of starter setup tools, many of which you can find at home.
if anyone has anything like that feel free to post it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
haha, ok , i'll look over videos but, i dont like putting too many links as they often expire.
and the thread will probably be there a few more years.

311: ive actually got that pic in the thread. HHAA thanks ippon

and Zep, i like that idea. i'll put together a pic or find pic of starter setup tools, many of which you can find at home.
if anyone has anything like that feel free to post it.

some : Allen wrenches (korean and chinese indian use metric i beleive, while america uses standard) screwdrivers of various sizes, pliers. and thats all i got lol

i know of some cheap good tool kits available.
let me see if i can find em on home depot.com

WAHLA!!

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xhcZarnk/R-100646659/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

thats seems pretty decent and its cheap. i use those screwdrivers and pliers and they serve well for set-ups.
Classical Guitarist
pretty cool. also on the same track would be universal allen wrench tools,
gauge and gap tool from auto shop.
metal straight edge to check high frets.

a volt meter, a roll out rug mat. a neck support. string winder, cutter.

soldering iron kit. mini screwdriver set. stuff like that. i'll put together a kit picture.
thanks.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

jenny you might find these useful

ibanez toolkit (the amount of peeps that don`t know what each tool is for)

and this vid, i know it`s for ibanez edge 3 but the same principles apply for most double locking trems

http://ibanez.s3.amazonaws.com/Cms/Bulk/TremHowTo.swf

and from the peavey site a 3 part special on setting up a kahler trem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXrvvyACMg

(the others are on the peavey site) http://www.peavey.com/pvtv/vidlist.cfm#
thanks

i'm going to put in a tool paragraph today. i'll add a bunch of this, and pass some along to madpickin too.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

ok guys, i added some tool kit stuff. cleaned up the intonation part.

zep and 311 are in there now.

i couldnt use that video Jrock. it's too slow to get started. and he uses a different technique to measure relief. i'd rather keep it consistent thru the thread, but thanks.

ibanez god that's all floyd stuff, so i'm going to pass that onto those guys.
i dont see madpick around, but if he comes on i'll see if we can get that in there, thanks.

any other suggestions?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

You should have a part about blocking trems, Not only floyds, but vintage trems as well
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
okie doke thanks i'll see if i can add an additional picture next to the trem cavity with the springs.

maybe of a blocked trem.

i know one of the posts already has its max of pics, so i might have to move things around.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

maybe put some stuff in about filing frets correctly and filing/lubricating nuts.

How to adjust pickup height and why you should adjust it

How to adjust intonation (moving saddles on a TOM)

raising action by raising the bridge on a TOM, (or adjusting strat style saddles) and increasing/decreasing tension (I think raising or lowering the tailpiece achieves this, not really sure lol)

Just throwin em out there lol, these things are probably already in the other thread.
Last edited by Tedward at Oct 23, 2009,
I could write some stuff for the FR thread if Madpic will ever get back on...

Like, Why a Floyd works. I don't think it's in there and it helps.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
I'm not sure if this is already in there or not but when intonating a guitar, Always start with the saddles set all the way back. As in, As far away from the nut as they can go. Then when you adjust them they aren't putting any kinks in the strings past the saddles. Good tip from Dan Erlewine.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
If madpickin hasn't been on for a while or something, and there are some things you see fit to add to his thread, I can make those changes.

Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
^thanks kyle.

usually i talk to him a few times a month, but honestly i think it's been a little while since i saw him.
i didn't realize but maybe he's getting busy with school.

311: i looked over the pm and copy pasted that in there.

Tedward: yeah it's mostly all in there thanks.

Gargoyle: id put that in except i dont want the guys resetting their whole intonation.
we've got a lot of new guys, and getting them back in tune would take me most of the day.

i am going to add some cleaning tips.
and maybe some more pics.

thanks for the additional help guys.

anything else, im listening.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Jen - PM'd back...I had more.

Cleaning tips are good, I use steel wool sometimes so you may not want mine

If you thought it was appropriate I could give you a few amp troubleshooting tips for peeps that may have a different problem. Hell, I'll just past it here...use if you want.

Basic guitar and amp buzz/hum or no sound questions to ask yourself:

Can you play a different guitar on your amp? (what happens)
Can you play a different amp with your guitar?
Back away and at an angle while playing to see if affect changes?
Shield the inside cavity of your guitar with copper foil?
Swap all cables?
Verify a pedal is not the issue? (take it out of loop to check)
Swap preamp tubes? (they can become overly microphonic)
Make sure all tubes are seated properly? (pushed in all the way)
Make sure none of your tubes are overly bright?
Make sure guitar and amp grounding is good?
Make sure guitar and amp jacks are good? (these can fail easily)
Check selector switch on guitar?
Amp mains fuse?
Power tube fuse? (aka HT fuse*)
Circuit board burn or failure? (*)
Disconnected speakers?
Bad connection (solder joint) some where? (*for amps)
Make sure your amp and pedals are not sharing the same power strip
Make sure your amp is grounded
Other electronics can cause interference like (florescent bulbs, computer monitors, cell phones, TVs, radios, etc)

*In cases that involve opening the chassis of your amp where all the electronics are, UG does not recommend doing this. Get an amp tech. There can be lethal voltages.

Jen - may need to edit a bit if you use it.
well, i dont think i'll get the same use out of it up there as they would in GGa

i can put it in no prob, but maybe kyle would rather add an

"amp trouble shooting" paragraph in the gga sticky area.

if not, because of how GGnA is set up, then i'll edit it, and add it in this one.

up to kyle. :cheerS:
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

a basic soldering tutorial would be nice - I know that's more of a GB&C thing but still, it may alleviate some questions.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'll look into seeing if that list fits anywhere into the stickies a bit later.

Also, as far as a soldering tutorial, I've seen some decent ones on youtube. I don't have one on hand, but maybe rather than dedicating space to it in the set up thread, it could be something we just linked to. Or maybe just leave all that to GB&C?
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
One thing I think the FR thread could use is just little paragraph talking about the basic physics of FR's. Basically a "Why they work" section, to go with the "How to get them to work" section.

What do you guys think.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
I think in the FR section you should also give people the advice that unless they are sure they are actually going to use a locking trem, they shouldn't buy a guitar equipped with one. (but then people won't check the sticky until they have a problem with it anyway, probably not even then)
Also
Quote by Zep_shizzle
some : Allen wrenches (korean and chinese indian use metric i beleive, while america uses imperial) screwdrivers of various sizes, pliers. and thats all i got lol

Fix'd. Imperial =/= standard, it's a dying measurement.

Sorry I get easily irritated, I'm possibly female (j/k don't ban me please)
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
ok kyle's going to look into the amp facts going into GGnA

i think some very basic soldering facts and maybe a link to Custom section would be fine.
i'll add that.
i already mention soldering irons and such in the thread.

and ippon i know there are great cleaning tutorials on UG, maybe i could link to it.
but i was thinking something more along the lines, "don't use Pledge" "dont rub a lemon on your fretboard." "dont put oil on Maple"
HAHA

as those seem to be favorite questions asked in here.
i'm not going to get into bore oil, or really anything where they have to take off all their strings, because then there's 10 posts trying to get them set up again.

ok so i'll add some of these things a little later today.

anything else guys?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Maybe just a small bit on repairing headstocks. Really it would only have to be a few lines, just saying to put glue in, clamp it shut. Possibly add a referral link to one of Project Guitar tuts.
Though I see that more often in GB&C, I've also seen it here as well as Acoustic forum.
When you adjust tension on the neck, let the neck set for a bit before you do anything else to it. Also to cure fret buzz, the tension rod isn't the first place to look.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
Fender Blues Jr.
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9

THE WHO
Quote by Baby Joel
Maybe just a small bit on repairing headstocks. Really it would only have to be a few lines, just saying to put glue in, clamp it shut. Possibly add a referral link to one of Project Guitar tuts.
Though I see that more often in GB&C, I've also seen it here as well as Acoustic forum.

hey, thanks.

i dont think we should tempt guys in EG to fix their own headstocks.

but maybe we can add some other quick tips, or at home "fix its" guys would feel comfy doing.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by stratomaster15
When you adjust tension on the neck, let the neck set for a bit before you do anything else to it. Also to cure fret buzz, the tension rod isn't the first place to look.

yep we've got all that hidden in the thread.

thanks

anyone else? or have we all smoked a little too much this weekend.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 26, 2009,
a small piece of advice from me, don't know if this counts as "setup" tip, but I HAVE seen it asked quite a few times:

I want to play Meshuggah/Nile/other generic heavy band, but my guitar doesn't chug and sounds all muddy. Do I need more gain or thicker strings?
when playing in low tunings or really fast, dial the gain and bass frequencies of your amp DOWN instead of up to avoid muddiness and to get really nice, gritty chug. A decent tube amp with gain dialed just around half way is enough for most styles of metal and rock.
Also: for achieving deeper tunings, if thicker strings and downtuning isn't the sound you're looking for, maybe a baritone guitar with an extended scale neck (which tightens the lower strings, yet also makes the higher strings sound more agressive) is what you're looking for.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Oct 26, 2009,
i think i can use that thanks.

not exactly that way, because i'd want to gear it more towards the setup aspect.

but we get a ton of questions asking about string gauge and how gauge effects the setup.

i'll and something concerning Changing string Gauge, and how to set up best for for alt / down tunings.

and we can add that an alternative to changing gauge would be adjusting amp settings,
in an attempt to avoid muddiness associated wt speed play and low tunings.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

shouldnt you be buying a crib or something?

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
shouldnt you be buying a crib or something?

You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Page 1 of 2