i have a marshall mg15 cdr which right now sells for about $70. i also have a delta lab dgfx1 pedal which is about another $70. im considering selling them both to buy a 30w spider iv but since i havent really tried one, im just going to ask: is it worth it?
Last edited by clwnz at Oct 22, 2009,
Not really, spiders don't sound nice.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
if the spider lV is like the spider lll (and i think it is) do not get it
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
If your dying for a new amp then get a Vypyr, if not then just stick it out until you've saved a couple hundred for something decent.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Steer clear of either. It'd help if you told us your personal tastes and distastes, like what kinda bands you want to sound like/what sound you're going for.
Member #29 of the "Use Your Fecking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.

Current Gear: Hamer XT Sunburst Qlt
Epiphone SG G-400
Bugera 333 212

Roland Cube 60
+ some pedals.

well seeing as you guys say spiders arent all that good, ill wait and save up some more cash then. thanks a bunch.

EDIT:
for the previous post, i play mostly metal, punk, and some others. like around the lines of metallica, rise against, soad, slayer..
Last edited by clwnz at Oct 22, 2009,
To be perfectly honest with you a Spider wouldn't be an upgrade from what you have now. The MG and the Spider series are about equal. Truthfully they aren't bad practice amps but they are overpriced.

What exactly would your budget be if you were to get a new amp?
Are you willing to buy used?
Name some bands that have a similar tone to what you're wanting to achieve.
30w vypyr NAO
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
just to clear something up are MGs basicly like Spiders?
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
budget would be atleast $130. most would be around $170
i would buy used as long as its in good condition and it still sounds ok.
metallica, rise against, slayer, soad, and some random riffs from here and there.
A Vypyr 75 is $289 if you can save that up. What is your closest major city, maybe there is something on your local craigslist you could squeeze into.

Quote by bellamy_morello
just to clear something up are MGs basicly like Spiders?

Not really. I mean they are in the sense of the fact that they are overpriced practice pieces of junk. MGs have 2 channels and then you add effects, where Spiders have 'presets' that model a particular amp and pedal combination and then you pick the preset you want to play on and tweak its parameters.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
To be perfectly honest with you a Spider wouldn't be an upgrade from what you have now. The MG and the Spider series are about equal. Truthfully they aren't bad practice amps but they are overpriced.

What exactly would your budget be if you were to get a new amp?
Are you willing to buy used?
Name some bands that have a similar tone to what you're wanting to achieve.

Yeah, except they're completely opposite amps.

Spiders are OK for cleans and high-gain music, as well as anything involving effects. MGs are ok for rock. That's all either amp will do.

The two sound nothing alike, and I've had some good experiences with both the MG and the Spider amps. Don't ever get amplifier or guitar advice from an internet forum; bandwagon hate destroys product reputation. Forums are good for repairs, music talk, techniques, DIYs and customization, and other general info. NOT sound. Go out and try every amp you can afford. An Epiphone Valve Junior for example may be an excellent sounding amp but completely obsolete to a player who likes heavier or more distorted music such as 80s rock.

Go out and learn yourself what you want and need.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Get the Vypyr or your getting the "sell yourself short model".
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by philipp122

Spiders are OK for cleans and high-gain music, as well as anything involving effects. MGs are ok for rock. That's all either amp will do.

The two sound nothing alike, and I've had some good experiences with both the MG and the Spider amps. Don't ever get amplifier or guitar advice from an internet forum; bandwagon hate destroys product reputation. Forums are good for repairs, music talk, techniques, DIYs and customization, and other general info. NOT sound. Go out and try every amp you can afford. An Epiphone Valve Junior for example may be an excellent sounding amp but completely obsolete to a player who likes heavier or more distorted music such as 80s rock.

I agree with you completely except for the part where you say dont listen to guitar forums. Yes bandwagons are aweful...but collective knowledge from hundreds of people who have tried the amps cant be completely wrong. most of us owned either a line6 spider or a marshall mg at some point. they are 2 different amps entirely, yes. but what we're also saying is you can get better for the money
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Last edited by thedekker at Oct 22, 2009,
Quote by philipp122

I never said they sounded anything alike. I said they are equal quality.

The MGs cleans are its strong points. The amp is decent for blues/blues rock. The Spiders "metal" settings are its strong points.

And if someone stated that they liked heavy or distorted music then people wouldn't suggest something along the lines of a VJ. UG gives great gear advice most of the time, bandwagons or no bandwagons.
Quote by thedekker
I agree with you completely except for the part where you say dont listen to guitar forums. Yes bandwagons are aweful...but collective knowledge from hundreds of people who have tried the amps cant be completely wrong. most of us owned either a line6 spider or a marshall mg at some point. they are 2 different amps entirely, yes. but what we're also saying is you can get better for the money

If only that were true.

All you see these days are posts about how awful MGs and Spiders are, and how you can't even play them because they sound so bad. I remember a few years ago; they had a slightly bad reputation for not being very good amps and not sounding very good. Now, 6 or 7 years later, people speak of them as if they were the devil.

Same thing happened with solid state amps in general, several BOSS pedals, the Dunlop CryBaby, Line 6 in general, recent Gibson quality control, and Squire guitars. People will say such negative things about these products, it's as if they are being robbed by the manufacturer. bandwagon-ing destroys forum credibility.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Quote by philipp122
If only that were true.

Same thing happened with solid state amps in general, several BOSS pedals, the Dunlop CryBaby, Line 6 in general, recent Gibson quality control, and Squire guitars. People will say such negative things about these products, it's as if they are being robbed by the manufacturer. bandwagon-ing destroys forum credibility.

Quite recently there was a thread about good SS amps
several of the Boss Pedals DO suck
Gibby QC sucks ass
Squier uses the Fender name to generate popularity and increase the price

All of these 'bandwagons' are deserved! OK some aren't so good (ie. "Bugera sucks") but remember, when there are hundreds of people on UG who went to a shop and tried this stuff out, bandwagons have to be founded on something. Its not like we all met in GC and went
"I think we should all say the HT-5 is a great amp"
Everyone went alone, and decided they liked it. Surely that says something about the amp?
Quote by philipp122
If only that were true.

All you see these days are posts about how awful MGs and Spiders are, and how you can't even play them because they sound so bad. I remember a few years ago; they had a slightly bad reputation for not being very good amps and not sounding very good. Now, 6 or 7 years later, people speak of them as if they were the devil.

I must have missed something on Gibson quality control....
???

Also, lots of the BOSS pedals ('specially some of the OD's and distortions...) suck.
But i have a crybaby, thats fine.

Collectively, the consumer world has proven that Spiders and MG's suck alike
Quote by philipp122
If only that were true.

But you can get better for the money. vypyrys, cube, vt are great picks over spiders and mg's.

Really TS, it's all about going out and trying these amps. You will find what's right for you.

I don't think there is a bandwagon on line6 in general. Vetta's, spider valves, HD147 are all good amps. Their POD units kick major ass as well. It's just that their spiders aren't up to par.

Dunno about the dunlop crybaby. Not much of a wah guy, but I used to own one of those and it did what I needed it to.

SS amps rock. I want a jazz chorus bad.

My thoughts on squiers turned completely around after I just grabbed one used. I have a strat one and it was my first guitar. Where I learned my Metallica riffs, but it sucked. Look at the Series 24 M77 and it's one of the best LP shaped guitars I've ever picked up.
Well guys (and gals), I know I'm new, but only 'new' to this forum, I'm not new when it comes to talking about these topics. I hate to say it, but the Spider IV's are a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE improvement over the Spider III's. Line 6 showed us these when they FIRST came out, and I gotta tell you, I am a Spider killer - I couldn't stand them before. Now with the IV's, they've finally fixed whatever that nasty digital sounding nonsense was that was coming out of the III's and previous models. It's processor is basically redesigned from the ground up. Not to mention that you can now use an FBV pedal with it. I was a Vypyr guy myself, if I had to pick a modeling amp. Now with the Spider IV's, I'm not so sure about that. This new Spider isn't like it's predecessors. Don't hate it if you haven't heard it.

That being said, if you're strictly choosing between MG's and that, I'd say the IV blows the MG away.
Mesa/Boogie Roadster Head (custom finished)
Mesa 2 X 12 Rectifier cab (matches head)
Ibanez Prestige S 1625 Bubinga
MXR Carbon Copy
Boss NS 2
Boss TU 2
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q