Hey guys, quick question for you all:

I was planning on buying a Line 6 POD Studio UX2:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-UX2-with-PF?sku=250004

I was doing this to begin my first steps in recording from home. I know little to nothing about home recording, so I have to ask your help with two questions:

1. What is a good mic around the $100 +/- 30 range for me to buy for recording vocals and my guitar to use with it?

2. Is the Line 6 device plus a good mic all I need to begin recording my own songs?

I'm buying this as a birthday gift for myself so thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!
You can could try the SM57 or 58 for vocals, but you could record for guitar direct using amp models on POD farm.
What recording software are planning on using? Programs like Audacity are free
Quote by ibanez87
You can could try the SM57 or 58 for vocals, but you could record for guitar direct using amp models on POD farm.
What recording software are planning on using? Programs like Audacity are free

I will probably be using Cubase or audacity, but I believe the line 6 comes with software of its own. As for the guitar, yeah you're right. I probably could do that.

I wanted a versatile mic just in case I ever needed it.
Quote by morethanever
bump...looking to make similar purchases

If you're going to bump a topic that's over a YEAR OLD then you could at least explain what it is you need help. Saying you want to make similar purchases doesn't tell us anything and makes your bump absolutely pointless. Might as well have just made your own thread.
If you're going to bump a topic that's over a YEAR OLD then you could at least explain what it is you need help. Saying you want to make similar purchases doesn't tell us anything and makes your bump absolutely pointless. Might as well have just made your own thread.

I don't really get what's unclear...

1. What is a good mic around the $100 +/- 30 range for me to buy for recording vocals and my guitar to use with it?

that's my question...
Guitar.
I'd go direct in, but if you want to mic a cab the sm 57 is always a good choice, but in my opinion i'd use the Seinnheiser e609 mic. Its $109, and I think it is alot better mic than the sm 57. For clean vocals i'd use some type of condensor mic, like an MXL 990 etc etc.
USA Jackson RR1, Carvin Custom 7 String, Peavey 6505+, Krank Krankenstein Cabinet, Carvin Power Conditioner, Line 6 G 90 Wireless, BBE Sonic Maximizer, Full tone OCD Overdrive, ISP Decimator, Boss TU 2 Tuner
Quote by kyle62
NOT THE GODDAMN SM57/SM58!

A large-diaphragm condenser mic plus the interface will give you a complete studio-to-go (except for multitrack drums naturally).

your stupid,
for home recordings he's obviously on a budget and cannot afford condensers
the answer is
and always will be
57/58.

he also wanted a versatile mic,
Hey look at this £600 mic
*drop*
Hey look what i used to have
Quote by Rickmassacre
your stupid,
for home recordings he's obviously on a budget and cannot afford condensers
the answer is
and always will be
57/58.

he also wanted a versatile mic,
Hey look at this £600 mic
*drop*
Hey look what i used to have

Er....sure thing buddy, whatever you say.

Just to point out, the SM57/58 are great live mics but pretty damn expensive at £100...you can get a good large-diaphragm condenser for half that.

For that price, you could get any of these:

- MXL 990
- Samson C03
- Behringer B-2
- SE Electronics X1
- M-Audio Nova
- AKG Perception 120
- Audio-Technica AT2020
- Red5 RV6

...and still have enough change to get a Samson Q7 dynamic mic for guitar cabs!