Any key can be sad if you know how to use it properly. Minor would be the easiest to do that with, in my opinion.
Quote by slingshotjr
"D minor makes people wheep instantly"

Where's that from? I hear it all the time and always shake my head at its inaccuracy.
Quote by slingshotjr

I still don't buy this.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Quote by Hobble
I still don't buy this.

If you have perfect pitch and you listen to a lot of sad music in D minor then I suppose it would work on you.
But it's from a parody movie. So it's really irrelevant anyways. The only time a different key would really matter is if you had perfect pitch, or if we didn't use equal temperament.
Quote by Hobble
I still don't buy this.

It's from a comedy movie. It's not serious. Notice the quotation marks.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
yes. they are sexy sad keys.
some of the most beatifull pieces ive ever heard have been in that key (Gb). EG: girl with the flaxenhair by debussy.

Bb because its a sad key.
Classical Guitarist
Quote by Zep_shizzle
Bb because its a sad key.

Lies!

Almost every single song I played in concert band in school were in Bb and they were all upbeat and exciting.
"Sad" isn't a sound. It's an emotion.

But anyway...

Evoking emotions is more about phrasing and note choice than key. When you think "sad" you normally don't think about shredding - for example - you think of something slow that dwells on each note a little longer.

Playing a rock solo in Am won't have the same affect as playing a slow blues solo in Am...
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Quote by Guitartist
"Sad" isn't a sound. It's an emotion.

But anyway...

Evoking emotions is more about phrasing and note choice than key. When you think "sad" you normally don't think about shredding - for example - you think of something slow that dwells on each note a little longer.

Playing a rock solo in Am won't have the same affect as playing a slow blues solo in Am...

Agreed
Quote by pwrmax
Where's that from? I hear it all the time and always shake my head at its inaccuracy.

Probably it's taken from Christian Schubart's Ideen zu einer Aesthetik der Tonkunst (1806). But hey, the guy was a nut.
Quote by slingshotjr

damn! beat me to it.

"i'm sorry sir, you're going to have to empty all of your pockets to pass through security."

"i have a room full of guitars... some of these haven't even been played before."

This. Is. SPINAL TAP!!!
Quote by pwrmax
Lies!

Almost every single song I played in concert band in school were in Bb and they were all upbeat and exciting.

well find other songs.
Classical Guitarist