Its not broken but when i plug the cord in to my guitar it pushes out and its not really a firm grasp on the cord. If I push the cord in hard enough itll make a sound but as soon as I release my hand it spits it right back out.Is there anyway to fix this without paying a repair shop.

If it helps,the guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Lifes a grave and I dig it!
just take it out... and the prong that slips onto the cord, bend it in a little bit
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
You can buy a new jack for a dollar and install it yourself; it's two wires.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
make sure it's not the cable.

take off the jack.

insert plug. make sure it's grabbing here.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i was actually gonna make a thread about this.
im having the same problem with my strat... sort of.

before when i would use it if the cord moved while it was plugged in, it would make this horrible cracking sound. (wasnt the cord, works fine in my other guitars) so i thought that that little tab wasnt making contact with the cord when it moved. so i took it off and bent it, just a little making careful not to bend it too far and break it.

well after i screwed it back on i found that now im getting no sound out of it at all. so i thought that maybe i broke one of the solder(sp.?) joints putting the jack back into the cavity. so i took it all back apart and that wasnt the case. so any ideas as to what the problem is?

btw, this didnt start happening untill after i tightened the jack, because it was loose and the little nut kept falling off.
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
you ripped off a wire hand tightening it.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

ah damn, thanks. well guess im gonna have to get that fixed. if it was one of the bigger joints i could have done it myself but i dont know about something that small. it needs a good set up anyway..
Quote by gatechballer
I have the same exact problem and the same exact guitar... the jack has been a POS since day once and just recently i had to resolder the wires cuz they completely snapped.

it doesnt have to go in all the way, but if its slipping out then thats clearly a problem. try taking it apart and pushing the prong in a little so it has a tighter grip on the input stick thing. If that doesnt work, try tighting things up and make sure the washers and nuts are on correctly because one i had was crooked once and that fixed a problem.

if none of this works, repair shop

EDIT: also, if youre playing standing up, weave the input cable through the guitar strap before plugging it in, that way if you step on it, it wont tug on the jack
Last edited by summguy at Oct 23, 2009,
Quote by SoLgEr
ah damn, thanks. well guess im gonna have to get that fixed. if it was one of the bigger joints i could have done it myself but i dont know about something that small. it needs a good set up anyway..

ok but a soldering iron kit is about $15.

instructions on the pack.

it's just heating the lugs and touching the wires to them so they stick back on.

the ground will go to the inner most lug.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

i know how to solder, and i own a gun. just not so sure of my skills for something that looks intricate like that
Quote by gatechballer
edit:

two wires. one to one metal tab. one to the other.

takes about ten mins to fix.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 24, 2009,
i had a similar problem with my old Ibanez where the cord was really loose in the jack and came out easy and feedback'd at the smallest movement so i unscrewed the jack, took it out, there should be somethin that looks like a metal "tongue" and its kinda bent at the end, i bent that forward into the jack a little bit and screwed the jack back in and now it works like new, idk if thats the problem youre gettin but its a possibility
Quote by Ikey
im no fred flintstone but i can sure make the bed rock

MY GEAR!

Epiphone Futura Custom EX
Randall RG75DG3 Combo Amp
MXR 10-Band EQ
Oscar Schmidt OG10CEN

howya doin
First off, it's a OUTPUT Jack.

Second off, this:

Quote by Slovak_Ghost
just take it out... and the prong that slips onto the cord, bend it in a little bit
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
on one of mine the jack's messed up, it stays in, it just doesn't make the right noise, it does nothing when its on a clean channel and to hear what i play i've got to make the gain max and the vol. maxed

so i'm just gonna take it to sam ash one of these days to get it fixed (i don't know of any other guitar repair places near where i live)