I went down to guitar center the other day and bought a 1988 Made in japan fender strat for $520 out the door. I figured i could just bring it back if I found out I paid to much. Here are the pics,

http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/Alex9084/1988%20fender%20stratocaster%20with%20noiseless%20pickups/

Around how much is this 1988 Made in Japan Fender Stratocaster worth? It has upgraded pickups, which are similar to the Eric Clapton model of the same year. very very slightly rusted bridge, a few worn down frets, pickgurd was replaced with a cheaper one I think, no fender sticker on back, and a few very very small dings. Everything works perfectly on it. I've been looking all over and cant figure it out.

Please look at the pics.
$520 for a MIJ strat is way too much. $250 max for that. Get your money back or get a store credit.
There's my way and the wrong way.
yeah, take that back and get an american one on craigslist for that amount
Peace , Love , Death Metal

Quote by Super_Duper_Guy
It probably started at $55 but then he thought "You know what? F&*$ them. 1 dollar extra. pwned noobs."
That bastard...
So are mexican stratocasters generally more expensive than japanese ones?
Quote by ch0
I once trapped my left testicle in a vice. I have no left testicle.
pretty sure the order ons trat prices is japanese to mexican to usa from lowest to highest
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Quote by familybucket
So are mexican stratocasters generally more expensive than japanese ones?
This is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand... But when the hell did I say what you've got quoted in your sig? lol
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
The MIJ and MIM strats are about the same. Although generally MIJ sell for a little more because they are sought after.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by ch0
This is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand... But when the hell did I say what you've got quoted in your sig? lol

Lol, Sir you have the right to remain silent.

now do you see everything u say can and WILL be used against you?!
Quote by wolvenrick
Lol, Sir you have the right to remain silent.

now do you see everything u say can and WILL be used against you?!
I'm chuffed to see something I said in someones sig! I just wish I remember when and where I said it.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
TS, the Japanese strats are usually a lot better than the Mexican strats.
For a period they were just as good as the American strats.
Check things out further, what you have there is a quality piece of gear.
A lot of these guys don't know what they're talking about...
^ I agree, the MIJ strats are alot better than the MIM strats, its not even a opinion, its pertty much fact. Didnt they stop making strats in Japan because they where becomeing better than the MIA strats?

But anyway, your prolly got a really good price on that guitar. Also, I noticed in on of the pictures, that the neck looked like it bowed in on itself from the sides. I might just be crazy , but idk.
Quote by ethan_hanus
^ I agree, the MIJ strats are alot better than the MIM strats, its not even a opinion, its pertty much fact. Didnt they stop making strats in Japan because they where becomeing better than the MIA strats?

But anyway, your prolly got a really good price on that guitar. Also, I noticed in on of the pictures, that the neck looked like it bowed in on itself from the sides. I might just be crazy , but idk.

Yup.
Some MIM's are up to the same standard, but not the standards, that's for damn sure.
Also, you are correct. Japanese guitars in general are very high quality, and the Japanese Fender Strats are very sought after from those "In the know".
Quote by seth's daddy
$520 for a MIJ strat is way too much. $250 max for that. Get your money back or get a store credit.

are you kidding?

$520 is a decent enough price, especially for one made in the late 80's...it's probably better than the MIA strats that were being made around that time. A Japanese Fender is far superior to a MIM and the same standard as a USA Fender, they stopped selling then outside of Japan because the of that reason but still make them for the Japanese market.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 23, 2009,
Quote by Alex9084
Is 440 way to much for a brand new MIM standard?

No, not at all.
Overall: Japanese guitars > American guitars. That's just how it is...
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic
Selfmade Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream"
Quote by Lewadra
Overall: Japanese guitars > American guitars. That's just how it is...
I'll second that for the most part. If I were looking for a Strat I'd be trying to find a MIJ before an American.
Quote by Marty Friedman
I agree. Keep it! I need to get me a strat someday too.
GEAR:
SCHECTER LOOMIS FR
LTD EC-1000
LTD DV-200
Everything before Jilax's post is garbage. From there one it seems wise people have posted.

Japanese quality is very good. The reason fender have stopped japanese production for the american market was because they competed far too well. It'll be a great guitar and its a great price too. Looks nice too.
MiJ Strats are awesome guitars, I paid £295 for mine and it was in bad condition, 1986. I love them, it's better than any MiJ strat i've ever played.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Ive noticed a buzzing sound while using the first second and third frets. I looked at the frets and they are worn down pretty good(you can see it in some photos) and was just wondering if I should spend the money getting new frets or just get rid of it.

***Its about $150 for fixing a few frets?***