Hey all,

So, I play some bass as a secondary instrument, mainly for recording purposes. But I've been beginning to have thoughts about selling my bass and upgrading to a better one. I currently have an Ibanez GSR 200, and while it's a fairly decent playing instrument, I find that when I record with it, the tone can be kind of dull and lifeless, even with amp VST's in use to try and spice up the tone.

I guess my question is, should I upgrade my bass, or get some better recording equipment for a better recorded bass tone? And if the bass is the answer, what's a good option around the $300-$400 range? (New or used, either is fine). I mainly play various types of metal, punk, hard rock, etc. You get the idea

Thanks!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
VST's are crap. The tone has mostly to do with pickups and the amp. Stop using VST's and get a bass amp. I'm sure the pickups are fine
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
I just record with a DI straight to my external sound interface : \
I wish i could help you.
Have you considered your strings though? Alot of bassists think strings don't matter much.
They do though.
They really, really do.
I'd try some Rotosound's or even elixer if your willing to spend the extra 30 dollars.
Its worth it.
just something to consider though
Quote by GODhimself37
VST's are crap. The tone has mostly to do with pickups and the amp. Stop using VST's and get a bass amp. I'm sure the pickups are fine
Well, truth be told, I'm not a VST fan either. But I guess my concern would be how to go about recording bass using a real amp. Would I have to turn it up loud like I do with a guitar amp? What mics would I use? And perhaps most importantly, what would be a good amp to use without spending $$$ on a beastly stack or something of super high power? It would only be used for recording purposes.

Conroy91 - I use DR strings on pretty much all of my instruments (including the bass).
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Oct 23, 2009,
Quote by FlightofIcarus
Well, truth be told, I'm not a VST fan either. But I guess my concern would be how to go about recording bass using a real amp. Would I have to turn it up loud like I do with a guitar amp? What mics would I use? And perhaps most importantly, what would be a good amp to use without spending $$$ on a beastly stack or something of super high power? It would only be used for recording purposes.

Conroy91 - I use DR strings on pretty much all of my instruments (including the bass).

You would pretty much do the same thing micing it up as far as recording and input. Just go to a music store with your bass and play on some stuff
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!