I'm looking for a new practice amp. Currently working with the Roland Micro Cube...its cute...but I feel its limiting.
I checked out my local music shops. They mostly had Marshall, Roland, Line6, Vox, and Fender. Looking at the Marshall MG15FX or the Line6 Spider 3. I know Marshall has great quality but don't want to be won over by its namesake. I hear Line6 is pretty simple and reliable. But is it really?

(I play a CoolZ ZLC1 with stock pick ups, mostly, in drop C or C standard. I play this one most of the time. A Fender Strat in standard tuning infrequently.)

I would like some input on these amps (and others) from fellow guitar players before I purchase one. I intend to use it for a while.

Any suggestions?
Marshall MGs and the Line 6 stuff are notoriously unpopular from what I've seen around here. I've not played either, but a friend of mine has an MG (I think the 30 fx or something) and he says it's okay but it distorts (in a bad way) when you start to raise the volume beyond lower levels.

I have a roland cube 60 (the slightly older one) and it's really cool. I've played the new one (the 80x) and it has a bunch of new features and sounds that make it even cooler than the one I've got. I would personally recommend that, but I'm no expert.
What styles do you play?
Budget?

The Marshall and the Line 6 both aren't that great. I would look into a Peavey Vyper. In all honesty, unless you have $400 to spend, you're not going to get much of an upgrade from your cube other than wattage.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
are you looking for an amp that will have more effects or more power? if you want the effects i would go with one of the Vox Valvetronix line. they have some awesome effects and you can change the wattage to the situation so louder for jams and quieter for bedroom practice. if your looking for more power id look into a small fender tube amp. good for bedroom practices and get pretty loud.
the VOX Valvetronix is really good though if thats wat your looking for
Fender Super Champ XD. A little 15 watt tube amp with a tone of voices and effects. It sounds great and is very versatile. Not gig worthy but im satisfied that there is no better practice amp available.
Valve Junior and some pedals.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I swear by Marshall amps although their practice ones arnt very good which is why i practice on a Avt150 for a practice amp get a Pavey their amazingly good for their price however you wont get much of an upgrade, think of it as buying a car then buying the same car just because it has a sports badge.
Gear:
Guitars:
1. Epiphone Custom Shop Explorer Apparition
2. BC Rich Iron Bird 2003 LTD Spaceface
3. Gould KK Series LTD Reaper 600
4. BC Rich Warbeast WMD
5. Cort X6 Custom
6. Dradnaught Acoustic
Quote by MidnightReaper
I swear by Marshall amps although their practice ones arnt very good which is why i practice on a Avt150 for a practice amp get a Pavey their amazingly good for their price however you wont get much of an upgrade, think of it as buying a car then buying the same car just because it has a sports badge.

ok... you swear by Marshall amps... Have you ever even played through an all tube Marshall?

Anyway, TS if you can pull it, I'd say Vox AC4 with 7 band EQ and a nice OD pedal (maybe a TS?)
Quote by preciousflyingv
I'm looking for a new practice amp. Currently working with the Roland Micro Cube...its cute...but I feel its limiting.
I checked out my local music shops. They mostly had Marshall, Roland, Line6, Vox, and Fender. Looking at the Marshall MG15FX or the Line6 Spider 3. I know Marshall has great quality but don't want to be won over by its namesake. I hear Line6 is pretty simple and reliable. But is it really?

(I play a CoolZ ZLC1 with stock pick ups, mostly, in drop C or C standard. I play this one most of the time. A Fender Strat in standard tuning infrequently.)

I would like some input on these amps (and others) from fellow guitar players before I purchase one. I intend to use it for a while.

Any suggestions?

Marshalls are average now-a-days.

PCBs and the like.

By a Bugera - you will get LOADS of either Vintage tone (with their new V series) or HIGH Gain with their 6262 or 333XL series.

Their reliability has improved dramatically since they appeared.

Full tube...cloned circuits with nice tweaks.

Metal or old skool rock/blues...take your pick and they are 1/3 the price.

I've got a 6262 212 combo and it rocks...no issues to report...talked to the Aussie tech and he (who works with heaps of brands) said that they are no worse that all the BIG brands that are made in China using PCB...and most of the big brands 'normal' lines are.

If you've got the cash a Vox Night Train does alot of cool stuff...just need a 1x12 cab though.

I wouldn't buy a Marshall that wasn't a full tube rig and that costs...BIG time $$$$

By the way - I've owned a early '80s JCM 800 Marshall 4x12 stack...so I'm no bunny.

Line 6 is ok for distorted noise. I like line 6...own a M13 and POD but the Spider II Valve is the bottom line for Line 6 amps.

If you use drop tuning try a 6262 212...it's insane.
if you need effects onboard: VOX VT or Peavey Vypyr

if you don't need effects onboard: VOX AC4, Blackstar HT-5, Fender super champ, Epiphone Valve Jr., Blackheart Little Giant are all decent low wattage tube amps that are great for practice. Most will need an OD pedal if you play heavier music though.