well im in a pickle lol. what i want to do is learn to play well by ear, but i can only make out powerchords and like small riffs by ear. nothing grand like most of the stuff i listen to (becker, lane, gilbert , etc) and i cant read above second position so i cant really work on my sight reading for the stuff i want to play. i have some tab books but i dont wanna use the tab and i dont want to waste my time figuring out the notes if i dont know which position they go in

but lately ive been feeling like i want to learn some techniques but i already know alot and ive had lots of trouble making up my own licks. i just cant come up with something i like. and i feel like a terrible guitarist. like i cant make up a cool solo for shit.
so should i just like read tab and study some licks from other guitarists or what?

^^^
yes thats confusing lol
to sum it up : Should i use tab to figure out licks and songs from my favorite guitar players instead of learning by ear since my ear hasnt progressed that far yet and my note reading doesnt go past second position?

confusing yes i know. but i just had to let a little bit of my frustration out. its really bothering me that i cant make up licks im happy with.

EDIT: ive only been playing guitar for 1 1/2. and only been into theory for like 6 months.
Classical Guitarist
Last edited by Zep_shizzle at Oct 23, 2009,
who says you can't combine using tabs with training your ear? Try to figure out licks by ear, and try to get them right, and then compare them with the tab and see how right you were. It will help you realize where you went wrong in the first place, and hopefully you learn from it. You'll also find that guitarists often tend to use particular progressions and scales, so it will make finding the right note by ear easier.

Hope that helps!
If you're having trouble figuring out songs by ear, don't fret. It's hard as hell. I've been playing for 5 years and can't figure out a song by ear for shit. I recommend this website as it's helped me more than any other: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TR-000-Transcribing.php

There's nothing wrong with writing down what you transcribe in TAB.

As for making up your own licks and solos. It's very tough to get something you like. I honestly suck balls at writing solos. Riffs get easier to come up with once you start learning what your favorite artists do. No matter what, if you want to get better at writing, KEEP writing - even if it sucks. The more you practice, the better you will get.
^ What these guys said, also it's a gradual process developing your ear. Don't worry people don't just pick up an instrument and can instantly be able to work out complex chord progressions and modal passages. It takes time just practice it by constantly trying to work things out by ear, watching videos etc helps too
Don't worry about it so much. Transcribing comes with experience. Start by learning simple stuff without tabs and work your way up. If you're stumped, use tabs. Eventually you'll be able to learn songs without even touching an instrument.
I'm going to completely ignore your question and focus on
Quote by Zep_shizzle
i cant read above second position so i cant really work on my sight reading for the stuff i want to play. i have some tab books but i dont wanna use the tab and i dont want to waste my time figuring out the notes if i dont know which position they go in

It's not that hard, just practise. You don't have to count frets do you? You probably just know where tenth fret or 14th fret is without counting. It's exactly the same with reading music.

I really think you should learn the notes on the fretboard. Once you know the notes, it's easy to figure out what position to play in, buy looking at what chord shapes occur (if any) and what accidentals. Generally I start in fifth position and go at it from their.

Eventually it won't matter what position its in.
Last edited by mdwallin at Oct 26, 2009,