Page 1 of 2
Okay...so I've voted out all of my choices from my last tread. I think I'm going to get an Ibanez and work with a PU change for this hardcore band I joined. It's gonna be better in the long run.

So which do you recommend to me for sound? Also, I've decided I DO want a trem on there so if it's an RG suggestion, could it please have a trem?

thanks again.
Team Up
Team Up
You should get an S Series...the Edge Tremolo's suck, the Zero Point Tremolo is so much better
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
You should probably go play them yourself and work out which one feels better. The S is so small you'll forget it's there while the RG is quite a big guitar.

As for sound. The S is made of mahogany (not that there's much wood in the body of that guitar) and the RG is made of basswood. Mahogany sounds like mahogany, we all know what it's like. Basswood doesn't really color your tone.

Now for bridges, here's where it gets kinda lame. The RG series doesn't really shine (bridge-wise) until you start looking at Prestige stuff. The 1570 and 1550M are the value options if you want an RG with a rock-solid trem. At $999 each they're basically the same guitar minus colors. The only real difference is the 1550 has a maple fretboard while the 1570 has rosewood. If you do decide on an S then you can get away with spending quite a bit less as, for reasons that elude me, Ibanez sticks their superb ZR bridge on pretty much all the S series guitars. You can buy an S for $500 that has the ZR while a comparably priced RG will have an Edge III, which you should try and avoid if you can. It's an alright bridge if you're on a strict budget.

I think given the fact that you're willing to swap out pickups the S might be the better choice. You'll spend $500 for a ZR S vs. $1000 for an Edge-Pro equipped RG.

Personally I'd shell out the extra for an RG. I can't stand playing with those wafer-thin bodies. Of course, your mileage may vary. Try before you buy.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
You should probably go play them yourself and work out which one feels better. The S is so small you'll forget it's there while the RG is quite a big guitar.

As for sound. The S is made of mahogany (not that there's much wood in the body of that guitar) and the RG is made of basswood. Mahogany sounds like mahogany, we all know what it's like. Basswood doesn't really color your tone.

Now for bridges, here's where it gets kinda lame. The RG series doesn't really shine (bridge-wise) until you start looking at Prestige stuff. The 1570 and 1550M are the value options if you want an RG with a rock-solid trem. At $999 each they're basically the same guitar minus colors. The only real difference is the 1550 has a maple fretboard while the 1570 has rosewood. If you do decide on an S then you can get away with spending quite a bit less as, for reasons that elude me, Ibanez sticks their superb ZR bridge on pretty much all the S series guitars. You can buy an S for $500 that has the ZR while a comparably priced RG will have an Edge III, which you should try and avoid if you can. It's an alright bridge if you're on a strict budget.

I think given the fact that you're willing to swap out pickups the S might be the better choice. You'll spend $500 for a ZR S vs. $1000 for an Edge-Pro equipped RG.

Personally I'd shell out the extra for an RG. I can't stand playing with those wafer-thin bodies. Of course, your mileage may vary. Try before you buy.

Thanks very much for your opinion. I do plan to trying them out very soon. I just wanted a little insight, so I appreciate this post.

Those trems I've been seeing on the S series are crazy. However, yeah I can see how the body being super thin would be a problem. I sometimes switch from a Les Paul to a strat during some gigs and I actually hate how much lighter the strat is. It feels like I'm switching to something a lot cheaper.

That's not really the case but I hope you get what I mean lol
Team Up
Team Up
Quote by EvoLancer211
You should get an S Series...the Edge Tremolo's suck, the Zero Point Tremolo is so much better

neverplayed a ibanez guitar for any period of time have you, or you don`t know how to maintain a trem system.

i have to agree with cho, the only way your going to know is to play them,even just to hear them.
RG's and S's also come with the same necks. The only differences are the body and trem. That's something worth noting.
The S series is made in Indonesia, while the Prestige RGs are made in Japan. It probably all depends on how much you want to spend. Try the RG1570 and then try the S320 (twin humbuckers) or S470 (twin humbuckers and one single). I would personally avoid the S670 - it's more expensive than then S470 but I think the only difference is the finish. If you prefer the feel of the RG1570 then buy it. If you like the S320/S470 and want to spend less then get an S.
Quote by EvoLancer211

The edge zero is just that an EDGE zero. lrn2trem

also, high end RGs have the same trems as high end s series guitars
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
also, high end RGs have the same trems as high end s series guitars
Prestige S' have ZR-2 trems. Prestige RGs have Edge's of one variety or another.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
Prestige S' have ZR-2 trems. Prestige RGs have Edge's of one variety or another.

don't RGs (or at least JEMs) have the edge zero too?

EDIT: Just looked it up, they do.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Last edited by gilly_90 at Oct 23, 2009,
Quote by JELIFISH19
RG's and S's also come with the same necks. The only differences are the body and trem. That's something worth noting.

Not always the case. Just depends on what S-series specifically. Not all S-series guitars have Wizard necks.

EDIT: I just noticed TS wants a trem. Most of the trem S-series models do have Wizard necks.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Oct 23, 2009,
Quote by gilly_90
don't RGs (or at least JEMs) have the edge zero too?

EDIT: Just looked it up, they do.
The Edge Zero is, like I said, an Edge trem.

The main feature of the ZR's is that it doesn't use knife-edges, but instead, ball bearings.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by ch0
The Edge Zero is, like I said, an Edge trem.

The main feature of the ZR's is that it doesn't use knife-edges, but instead, ball bearings.

Right, just looked it up properly lol.
The RGs use the edge zero and the s series use the zr, but they both use the ZPS which is where I was getting confused
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by gilly_90
The RGs use the edge zero and the s series use the zr, but they both use the ZPS which is where I was getting confused
Yar, personally I'd just do away with the ZPS. Seems like too much sacrifice for a bridge that will keep the strings "fairly in-tune" if one breaks.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Honestly I wouldn't buy a new high end Ibanez other than the JS series or a J-Custom. The Edge Zero is junk compared to the original Edge, Lo Pro, or even the Edge Pro.

To me it's really a shame that Ibanez is putting the Zero on their high end guitars.

I really think you would be better off (for a better playing guitar, and better for your wallet) to go used and look for something similar to a S540 or a RG550.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Last edited by yellowshirtguy at Oct 23, 2009,
Quote by yellowshirtguy
I really think you would be better off (for a better playing guitar, and better for your wallet) to go used and look for something similar to a S540 or a RG550.
Nice, I didn't want to be the first one to suggest looking for a used guitar.

I picked up an RG550 last week for $350CAD. Best guitar I've ever had. The bridge still works like new and the neck feels even better than the Wizard II's. All mine needs is some new pickups and a bit of a setup.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by ch0

I picked up an RG550 last week for $350CAD. Best guitar I've ever had. The bridge still works like new and the neck feels even better than the Wizard II's. All mine needs is some new pickups and a bit of a setup.

And it's got the Original edge trem, which in my opinion, is the best out there.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
with the right models you cant really go wrong.

Both models have fantastic necks imo. However when i played my friends S i found it extremely thin bodied and too light for my tastes. I was more interested in trying out his EMG's, but they arent really to my liking.

What amp are you using/ what pickups are you planning on installing?
2005 Ibanez RG1570
1998 Ibanez RG7620
1998 Mesa 2 Ch. Dual Rec
Quote by gilly_90

Some prestige RGs have the Edge Zero and some have the Edge Pro. Non prestige RGs have the Edge III.
The edge III bridge really isn't THAT bad....its not the greatest, but if you set it up and maintain it the way it should be then you will get a long life out of it, and later on if you decide to upgrade, an Original Floyde Rose and an Edge Pro Tremelo will drop right in without any modifications. IMO the Edge Pro is the best trem period..not just best from Ibanez, but best out of all that I have used.

The S models are ehh.......they are nice but they are just to small and thin for my tastes.

You can find some great deals on used Ibby's, so look around before you commit to buying new. But if you buy new you get a warranty...just in case something does happen to your Edge III trem that so many people hate on. Personally I've never had an issue with the one on my RG. But because of all the internet bashing about that trem i did buy new just for the warranty...in case.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by ibanezgod1973
neverplayed a ibanez guitar for any period of time have you, or you don`t know how to maintain a trem system.

i have to agree with cho, the only way your going to know is to play them,even just to hear them.

I was thinking the same thing. I have an Edge on my 570 and I can abuse that shit all day long and not fall out of tune.

cho made good points. I see the S series with the mahogany body as good for metalcore type chugga chugga. I like the shred and lead with my RG

And if you want a good trem, but don't want to go spend money on a prestige, look at the older MIJ 550,, 560, 570, 750, 770 RG's. They play godly and are just as quality as the prestige imo.

Still wanna get a pgm though dammit.
Quote by ch0

Yup, I got a 570 and they play great. The original edge and original wizard are damn near perfect for me. I wanna do a pup swap in mine as well.
If you are looking for economy but a good sound, check out GRG220DEX upwards in the RG range. And the edge3 tremolo does NOT suck. It's setup is a little time-consuming but once get the hang of it, it is sweet. But if you plan to go for RG series guitars, be aware the stocks pick-ups are composite passives. So a change in the pickup's is definitely recommended.
I'd personally go for the S... fell in love with it instantly the first time I put my hands on it
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
I think the thing about the EDGE III is not that it "sucks", but that the metal that contacts the actual guitar is prone to wearing out when abused or not being set-up right, due to being constructed from a cheaper alloy.

However, the ZR also has it's problems (or so I've heard). The ZR should be taken apart fully every once in a while to tighten some nut underneath the actually whammy-bar, or else it also will be prone to breaking.

The reason the ZR breaks less often than the EDGE III is because the ZR has no edges that contact the body, therefore Ibanez CAN get away with using cheaper metal on the ZR.

Also, only the edges of the S series guitars are thin. At the center of the guitars body, Thickness is the same, or even thicker (I think) than an RG, which is flat-top.
I have both, and I like my 20 year old rg about 10x better than the s, and I love the s. In fact, I was gonna pick up another 550 today on ebay, but someone beat me to the punch damnit. The 550 is my fav of all time, and Ive had a bunch lol.
A bunch of RG's
]Ibanez RG2550Z
1990 Ibanez rg550
ZW Buzzsaw
Ibanez: s470
Jackson: RR Flying V
Charvel: 90's model sunburst
Jackson Stealth
Mesa Boogie Solo 50
Sunn cab
Quote by ch0

My RG is Mahogany. At least Ibanez says so. But yes, the S is tiiiny while the RG is much thicker.

As for tremolos, I dunno. I prefer hardtails.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9
My RG is Mahogany. At least Ibanez says so. But yes, the S is tiiiny while the RG is much thicker.

As for tremolos, I dunno. I prefer hardtails.
Yeah, I probably shouldn't generalize the RGs as being all basswood anymore as probably a good 1/3rd of them are available in mahogany with maple caps.

It does annoy me that there aren't hardly any options for a mahogany Prestige RG. For my basswood wants I'll keep buying older stuff like 550/750/770dx's but, when it comes time for me to add a mahogany RG to the stable I'll want to go new and I'll want it to be made in Japan. J-Customs would fit the bill as a lot of them are H-H (I like H-H better than HSH) and mahogany/maple cap, except that they're so damn expensive. $2000+ for a used one seems a little unrealistic for me. I still want a Gibson Les Paul at some point.

Anyways, enough rambling...
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by ch0
Yeah, I probably shouldn't generalize the RGs as being all basswood anymore as probably a good 1/3rd of them are available in mahogany with maple caps.

It does annoy me that there aren't hardly any options for a mahogany Prestige RG. For my basswood wants I'll keep buying older stuff like 550/750/770dx's but, when it comes time for me to add a mahogany RG to the stable I'll want to go new and I'll want it to be made in Japan. J-Customs would fit the bill as a lot of them are H-H (I like H-H better than HSH) and mahogany/maple cap, except that they're so damn expensive. $2000+ for a used one seems a little unrealistic for me. I still want a Gibson Les Paul at some point.

Anyways, enough rambling...

I just wish Ibanez would make a hardtail S series, Id snatch one in up a heartbeat.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9
I just wish Ibanez would make a hardtail S series, Id snatch one in up a heartbeat.
Time to begin your quest...
Quote by Marty Friedman
Heh, Id probably end up paying way more than necessary for it.

Word has it about $800 for this rather rare guitar.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Last edited by Mitochondria9 at Oct 23, 2009,
Quote by Mitochondria9
Heh, Id probably end up paying way more than necessary for it.
They aren't cheap, Ibanez only made them for the '93-94 model year. There was another version of the S with a TOM/Stop-bar arrangement they made out of Japan once upon a time. It's even more rare than the FGM's. Quite a bit uglier too.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by ch0
They aren't cheap, Ibanez only made them for the '93-94 model year. There was another version of the S with a TOM/Stop-bar arrangement they made out of Japan once upon a time. It's even more rare than the FGM's. Quite a bit uglier too.

Yeah, they need to bring it back, I mean.. even an S321 or S521 would be nice.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9
Yeah, they need to bring it back, I mean.. even an S321 or S521 would be nice.
The FMG was Frank Gambale's signature. He only played Ibanez's for a year before moving to Yamaha.

If you can find one of the FGM200's they typically go for $800-1200USD depending on condition.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Quote by ch0
The FMG was Frank Gambale's signature. He only played Ibanez's for a year before moving to Yamaha.

If you can find one of the FGM200's they typically go for $800-1200USD depending on condition.

Yeah I did a quick google search, most of the FGMs I found were starting at 800 and going up from there.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
TS if you can stand the Thin Bodies (i for one are Ok with them) go for the S if you dont want to spend a 1000 bux for a guitar.

BUT if you want a Mahogany body RG w/ a GREAT trem look for a USED 3120 (or maybe even the RGT version)

and you CAN Block the Trem on all "Zero" Trem equipped guitars. AND If you change tunings alot and still want an S go for the SV (S w/ the SynchroniZR trem)
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
TS if you can stand the Thin Bodies (i for one are Ok with them) go for the S if you dont want to spend a 1000 bux for a guitar.

BUT if you want a Mahogany body RG w/ a GREAT trem look for a USED 3120 (or maybe even the RGT version)

and you CAN Block the Trem on all "Zero" Trem equipped guitars. AND If you change tunings alot and still want an S go for the SV (S w/ the SynchroniZR trem)

My RGT was $800 new (I paid $420), and its a thru-neck Mahogany.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9
My RGT was $800 new (I paid $420), and its a thru-neck Mahogany.

Prestige?

the RGT3120 is a prestige
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Try both. That's all I can offer.

I liked all the RGs I played, but the finish, feel and sound of the S670 I picked up just struck the right chords. (see squier custom.)

It gets used more on clean stuff and blues though, or instrumental. It doesn't have the same presence as a chunkier instrument in a band with distortion. I use my tele for that. Or my G400.

But in terms of playability, the S is amazing, and the trem is nothing short of superb.
Page 1 of 2