Page 1 of 2
So I've been thinking about guitars lately - haven't we all? - and I just can't stand les pauls. I mean they are exactly what you'd expect a guitar to sound like. If you hear a guitar and the first thing through you r head is "that sounds kinda bright." well that just means that the guitar is brighter than a les paul. They are what every other guitar is compared against. They are 'perfect' to the point of monotony. I am so tired of them.

I played one a couple months back and all I could think was blah. they're just so normal. I mean it played great, it was comfortable, and all that, but it was lacking anykind of feeling. I think its because we've all heard lespauls since forever.

Any way, anyone else feel this way? Im gonna go wander around GB&C and the bass forum for a while, Ill come check on this thread later. Feel free to agree or rage or say mean things about my mother.
no sir away a papaya war is on
some people just have an instrument that resonate with them. Les pauls are the norm because people know them. Remeber 50 years ago when it came to solid bodies you could choose between an sg,lespaul,strat and tele. There wasnt much else. The les paul is still popular as are the other four because People KNOW them. THe people they idolized had them and they wanted one.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
I happen to love Les Pauls I own 2. But I do have trouble reaching the 18th + frets on some of the lower strings. But I think they sound awesome.
I see where your coming from, i find myself hating on strats for the same reason.
Deals done with:
lfrz93
mmjohn
I don´t like them because the huge under bridge area is heavy and awkward. I love how they look and sound though.

EDIT: also the nasty fretaccess
Haven't we all? What... Been thinking about how we hate Les Pauls? No, I haven't.

We're all so tired of hearing them? No, again, we aren't.

You might be though, and that's fine. Just state your opinion as yours instead of trying to make it mine too.

Go away now? Thanks!
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by the_perdestrian
So I've been thinking about guitars lately - haven't we all? - and I just can't stand les pauls. I mean they are exactly what you'd expect a guitar to sound like. If you hear a guitar and the first thing through you r head is "that sounds kinda bright." well that just means that the guitar is brighter than a les paul. They are what every other guitar is compared against. They are 'perfect' to the point of monotony. I am so tired of them.

I played one a couple months back and all I could think was blah. they're just so normal. I mean it played great, it was comfortable, and all that, but it was lacking anykind of feeling. I think its because we've all heard lespauls since forever.

Any way, anyone else feel this way? Im gonna go wander around GB&C and the bass forum for a while, Ill come check on this thread later. Feel free to agree or rage or say mean things about my mother.

Yanno. It's kinda funny that Gibson has set the standard so high that it is what everybody needs to compare a guitar with.

I do agree with you in some form or another.

Les Pauls have a distinct sound, this is true, but I think when people speak of them, they talk about the playability as well and everything as a whole. If you were to say that a certain guitar played as nice or nicer than a Les Paul, then you'd have to be totally honest with yourself the next time you talk about it. The Les Paul is no longer now the nicest guitar you've played. If you can't commit to that statement, then Gibson's quality control is really just that good.

I however agree that Gibson Les Pauls are plain. They have this distinct sound about them. But you have to remember that sometimes that is what people want. They want the dependability that Gibson can offer in an instrument. I just choose to put my faith in some other companies.

Now, no matter how plain or predictable I think a Les Paul is, I still could not deny that THAT guitar alone changed music forever. We owe a lot to it.
Team Up
Team Up
Quote by ch0
Haven't we all? What... Been thinking about how we hate Les Pauls? No, I haven't.

You might be though, and that's fine. Just state your opinion as yours instead of trying to make it mine too.

Go away now? Thanks!

I said I've been thinking about guitars lately - haven't we all- blah blah blah. I wasn't assuming we all hate les pauls. I was assuming that everyone on ug has been thinking about guitars.

and yeah we do owe a lot to les pauls, no doubt, at least half of the great rock music was played on a les paul, especially a 59 les paul. but thats kinda why I hate them, they're too perfect.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Last edited by the_perdestrian at Oct 23, 2009,
Quote by ch0

Go away now? Thanks!

He meant that everyone has been thinking of guitars in general but he was himself thinking about LP´s. He said nothing about everyone hating them.
I was speaking specifically to the second paragraph. The one where he states that Les Pauls are blah because we've all been hearing them forever. I realize it was just a poor choice of words - but oh well.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I have a Fame LP ( handmade) and I hate it, it weights a lot feels big and ankward and it dont really suits me, but... man it sounds HUGE ( alder body+alnico II Pickups) and I cant deny the sound of a 5kg Alder body
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
The fretaccess. The horrible fretaccess! I love the look and sound to death but damnit!
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I have an Eclipse, which is practically a Les Paul. The fret access I really dont think is bad, because honestly, you dont really need to run scales on the last few frets on the thick strings, because you can just run the scale on a higher string that you can properly access. Plus, I kinda play cello so I'm used to having to reach for notes :P
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
everyone has there own tastes
i dont perticularly like les pauls either
im more of a strat person
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
I on the other hand don't much like Fender, and stand by the Les Paul.

I do admit however, that its image is somewhat "mainstream" and understandably people may get bored with that.
Also they do suck a little for shredding, and reaching the 18th + frets (neither is a huge hinderence, just a slight annoyance amongst most from what i can tell...)

But, i have played a Gibson, and can compare it to others and IMO it is nice. I do aspire to buying one in the future.

I guess a guitar is a different thing to every one of us.
Maybe, someone I know hates Marshalls because everyone 'big' uses them I love LP's but I hate strats for the same reason. I respect you for speaking your mind though
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

I really, really like having better fret access, and therefore am not a fan - i don't like where the pickup switch is located, I don't like the aesthetics of the shape, and I don't really want such a heavy guitar.

I do, however, like the tone, in most cases of Gibson and Epiphone LPs, havent played any other LPs.
some ppl like 'em, some dont. i like my epi. the only thing i dont like about it is the fret access. other wise i love it. it feels amazing. i've been thinking of getting one in black and puttin in EMGs.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Quote by the_perdestrian

I think the 'feeling' you're talking about should come more from your fingers and mind than a Les Paul. It's like a painter being handed a paintbrush only to say "This paintbrush feels good and all but I really want to fingerpaint." No matter what you use it's still just painting and you have to creative to come up with something new. I'm pretty sure Clapton could steal my Les Paul right out of my hands and get a completely different sound of it.

Anyways I'm babbling but a Les Paul into a good amp cranked up is a sound I'll never get tired of. To each his own.
Les Paul Traditional '08
Fender American Strat '99
Martin D16
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
535 Crybaby-Whammy-Small Clone-DD7 Delay

"I have a very high EQ--something like 3,000 hertz. If I think too hard, my brain hertz." Harrison
I get what you mean dude, but I've always been more, "the Strat, Rhoads V, And explorer/kelly" kinda guy myself.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
There is nothing like the sound of a beautiful aged LP; the wood just resonates... you can hear the warmth and the sustain is sooo damn good.... but I don't like playing one as much as I do a strat, just because the music I play is better suited for strats.

In my opinion, there are 3 basic electric guitar tones that just can't be matched: Strat, Tele, and Les Paul, and almost everything else is a knockoff or hybrid of some sort.

LP is great for bluesy rock and hard rock, Strats are great for blues and heavymetal blues, and Teles are better for country twang then anything else out there. If you like to play LZ songs you will probably be happier with a Les Paul or Tele, but it's kind of hard to play Little Wing on a Les Paul and sound like Stevie (it's hard to play any guitar and sound like Stevie) ... but you can play Little Wing on a Les Paul and still sound good. It's just a matter of making the guitar your own.

I think we all prefer the tone of our guitar heros.
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Oct 24, 2009,
well, love my LP and can't imagine me playing anything else. I'm not a shredder and I do not play it because my idols did(well maybe) but I love the sound, the feel, the shape, the look, etc. Point is, when you find something that YOU KNOW is what gets your juices flowing, you don't try to change up. I do like lots of other guitars, but I alway consider the LP me. Peace
as much as I dislike my LP, it's a dependable guitar-and it's really solid.
Imma throw some blackouts in it and sand the neck down- then it's perfect.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Successful troll is successful...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

i love my les paul because:

a) it sounds kick ass
b) it's one of those guitars you can really dig into while playing and it can take it
c) the 60's neck is the most comfortable profile i've ever played on
d) the 24 3/4 scale makes it easier to play with 10's, and big stretches aren't as bad
e) i'm one of those people that likes conventional designs, nothing too crazy and obnoxious.
f) i'm not a bitch and can stand the weight or the guitar
g) you can use it to play any style of music
h) contrary to popular belief, shredding on a les paul is no problem at all, sure the higher frets are harder to reach, but it doesn't really bother me that much.
i) it sounds kick ass

and that's why i own one, and would never give it away.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Oct 24, 2009,
I find that Les Pauls offer THE heavy sound. If you want the heaviest, you have to get one. It doesn't have to be Gibson, but as long as it has Maple (My Les Paul/L6-S is only made of Maple, and sounds heavier than most normal Les Pauls), you should be sounding fat and nasty in no time.

It's cool that some people can't stand them, or have complaints about them. Nothing is perfect, gear wise.
It's what you want out of the guitar. If you don't want a les paul sound then there would be no reason to even want a les paul. Everyone has different tastes and it's whatever they want for their music they want to create.
I myself love lespauls

however several people ive spoken to detest them common reasons being : Weight. ( they cant stand the unchambered ones ) and Neck profile. ( even the 60s necks dont cut it for them. ) Well thats the exact opposite reason why im a sucker for lps.
I feel the same way...

About strats...
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
I love my les paul. I have no fret access complaints or anything. Great playing and sounding guitar
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
i just love the crunch you can get out of a distorted les paul. you just cant get that tone from anyware else.

i was a fat strat guy for years, they sound good but its just not the same. you know?
Epiphone les paul custom
Epiphone les paul 56' reissue goldtop
Custom Telecaster
Boss ME-50
Digitech flanger
Digitech Hot Head
Marshall MG100DFX

Unmarked P-bass
Johnson J-style
Aria STB jazzbass
Fender Rumble 100
I haven't really had much exp. playing a whole bunch of gibsons but i think for the price its not that good. they may of been the shit in the old days but there is know better guitars you can buy then a gibson under a $1000
Edit; ^You've clearly never played a Gibson that kicks ass. There are two types of Gibsons. Those that you'll jive with and those you won't. These aren't the same for everyone. As Joe Walsh once put it, "With a lot of really nice Gibsons you have to dig. But when you find one you know it, and when you find one it becomes your guitar."

The Fender stratocaster would like a word with you. I can count off plenty more strat players in my head than Les Paul players. Even then, while I dearly love all three, I prefer a telecaster.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Oct 25, 2009,
To be honest, just to go on at the prices, I think if you find the right Gibson for you it's so worth the money, and it's gonna be just awesome biscuits. But since a fair bit of them is handmade, they're all kinda different, so one's that you might play will be a bit blurgh for you. I mean, I played a Les Paul Jr the other month (which I though was overpriced, since it's basically a Melody Maker with a P90), and it was one of the best guitars I've ever played.

But anyway, one to their own I suppose. Everybody likes and dislikes different guitars.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Les Pauls are amazing.

Massive chunky neck which fills your hands.
Classic yet modern looks.
Amazing versatile (theyre used in EVERY genre of music)
I love both Les Paul's and Stratocasters.

It just seems to me that a vast majority will "dislike" one or the other just because they like the one...as in they'll dislike Strat's just because they have a Les Paul.
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL
Custom 2x12 G12H Extension Cab

Nevermind.........
Quote by Lovecannon
I have an Eclipse, which is practically a Les Paul.

NO.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
i actually love my Les Paul, u can get a great range of tones out of it, so i don't agree with ur opinion of it being 'plain'

none the less they are some kind of standard. if u look at CD's (those disks in shops u mite download now(!!)) the cover of a top 100 or 1000 Rock songs CD has a 99% Les Paul shape SOMEWHERE on the CD cover or in the booklet.

its just a common shape but i think its one of the most sexy shapes in guitars.

higher frets may be hard to reach but Gibson has the Les Paul Axcess i think it's called, heard that it has a kind of cut to make it easier to reach the high's.
Last edited by wolvenrick at Oct 25, 2009,
I disagree. I love my les paul. I love that it weighs a ton that's just something you'll get used to, and i love the chunky sound i can get out of it. Sure, it is plain, but I do prefer it that way - some of the beauty of the les paul is the simplicity of it. The fret acess is not the best in the world higher up, which is the only flaw i can seee with the guitar.

as for the les paul sound, the world is not getting tired of it any more than it is getting tired jimi hendrix. It's a timeless sound.
Page 1 of 2