hi folks. ive got an ibanez xpt700 that i recently traded for, and while i like it and it plays great, ive read some really discouraging things about its edge iii trem and i still dont have the time and patience to properly work with floating tremelos.

i have another guitar, an ltd viper 200 FM that i had to buy from my local music store in march because i dropped it and put ding on the bottom. my friend was going to buy it but decided not to and i dont want it. obviously, i wont get jack shit for it if i try to trade it back to the store it came from! so im probably better off selling it to a pawn shop.

ive never pawned anything so im wondering if any of you who've pawned off guitars can gimme an idea of what i should expect to get for it. i paid $380 in march and it has a few small but noticeable scratches.

the end result is id like to get a brand new schecter c-1 classic from my store. im hoping that trading this ibanez back to them and offering $200-$250 should be about even. the price tag they had on the ibanez was $500 and while this store's trade in policy isnt very good, ive known the guys from this store for a long time and they are more than willing to work with me.

thanks in advance for any help.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

pawn shops will rip you off, i tried to pawn a schecter s-1 a year or 2 ago and they offered me $20 for it because it wasnt in their guitar book. and i also tried to pawn a ltd ec-500 to another shop and took the average price from ebay and offered me 1/3rd of it. you'd be better off going the craigslist/ebay route
Deals done with:
lfrz93
mmjohn
wow $20! does it make a difference if its a big city pawn shop or a kinda sorta redneck town of 35k people? CL might not be a bad idea.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

the pawnshop that offered me $20 for the schecter is in the town i live in and the populaton is according to the 2009 census is 38,000 and the one that offered me $150 for the ec-500 was Tucson AZ and Tucson has a pop of 525,500 (one of the biggest cities in az)
Deals done with:
lfrz93
mmjohn
Quote by SYLrules88
wow $20! does it make a difference if its a big city pawn shop or a kinda sorta redneck town of 35k people? CL might not be a bad idea.

A large shop like cash converters might be more reasonable... but i wouldnt hold ur breath. If u want to get the most moeny out of it then your gonna have to sell it privately eg. Craig's list, trading post, ebay. Or you can trade it in at a music shop for something else and because you will be buying something else from their store they might be more lenient and you give you a reasonable price.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Here's the deal everyone. Pawn shops aren't in the business of buying. They want to give you a short-term loan for an amount that virtually guarantees you'll be back for your stuff. They make their money off the interest they charge on these loans. You get $100 for a $500 guitar, pick it up a week later for $125, then pawn it again the next week. That's how they operate.

If you want to sell your stuff then try places like eBay or Craigslist.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
First, find out what that guitar is actually worth (search ebay current and completed sales, and gbase.com) Then, see what the guy at the store will do for you. Since he knows you, it may work out. If it doesn't, go with Craigslist. Know what you want for the guitar (either in cash or trade) and post it there. Its free. Deal only in cash, and only face to face transactions. Ebay works too, its just have to pay their fees and shipping. Pawn shops are a last resort.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Find out how much they offer,Add $50-$100 and post it here .Someone will bite your hand off for it.
The pawn shop's profit margin has to come between the price they offer you and the price they offer a seller. Unless you really need cash right now and can't spend the time to ebay/craigslist it yourself, you're better off finding that same seller on your own, charging them the same amount as they would've paid to buy the guitar anyway, and pocketing the difference yourself.
Pawn shops are for drug addicts who want their next hit NOW. Unless you're one of these, don't do it.

Hell even if you are a drug addict, wait a goddamned week and then you can get MORE drugs.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by ascend
The pawn shop's profit margin has to come between the price they offer you and the price they offer a seller.
Insanity...

Seriously though. Don't go to a pawn shop to sell stuff. They low-ball you so they can sell it for what you would be selling it for so they can still make some money off it.

They aren't jerks, they just like eating and having a place to live, you know; things they need to be profitable to afford.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...