I'm going to be buying myself a vader cab soon and i need to choose its impedence.

Are there any advantages between running 4,8 or 16 ohm? I'm running a Bugera 333xl and looking to upgrade to a JSX in the future so i can pick and choose.
No it shouldn't have any tonal differences between impedence, but if you're using heads and cabs you should just run what it says at the back. Don't run 2ohm or 4ohm if it only has 8 ohm output etc.
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Always try to match the impedance of your amp to the cab, but if you have several choices, amps usually put out more power at lower impedances. If you can't match the impedance, always go for a higher impedance cab than your amp's rating. You will lose a tiny bit of volume and tone, but it's fine.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
more power running through your cab =/= better tone. by then all you're doing is causing excessive speaker break up. 16ohm > 8ohm, however, you should always try to match to your amp first and foremost.
do you have a 16ohm switch? why not get the greater resistance for better tone? or did you already order the cab and now you just want someone else to pat you on the back?
Quote by GrisKy
do you have a 16ohm switch? why not get the greater resistance for better tone? or did you already order the cab and now you just want someone else to pat you on the back?

I hope to god that you're not serious.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
I hope to god that you're not serious.

you don't spend much time in a studio do you?

oh, that's right, you're in junior high.
Quote by GrisKy
you don't spend much time in a studio do you?

oh, that's right, you're in junior high.

Actually I do and I also have several good friends who are recording engineers. Care to enlighten us on your knowledgeable ways? I'm actually interested what kind of bs you come up with this time. I wouldn't know about junior high either, I never attended one.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

i'm just putting this out there. You know that in the past, gibson used to put a tone switch on their amps which would switch between ohm impedance in order to give the amp a brighter or bassier tone. As long as you don't do something like put a 100 watt head through a 4 ohm cab rated for only 40 watt, you should be fine. There are limits to this exception, but if you experiment with the tones, you may find the one that you are looking for.
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Owner of an 1/4 watt custom combo.

Quote by Garou1911
^This man speaks the language of win.

Donate to my cause
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Actually I do and I also have several good friends who are recording engineers. Care to enlighten us on your knowledgeable ways? I'm actually interested what kind of bs you come up with this time. I wouldn't know about junior high either, I never attended one.

Riiight... I'm sure you have several buddies who own an M-box. I believe that you never went to jr high though.

Here's your re-education, I'll try to not go over your head: Impedance 101

Impedance restricts the flow of power from your amp, i.e. if you lower your impedance from 16ohm to 8ohm, you have less resistance. Less resistance sounds like a good thing, but what it really means is that your amp has to work harder to fill the void created by the lower resistance (Current = voltage/impedance). This inefficiency will cause your amp to run hotter (eat more power) and will speed up wear and tear in both your amp and your speakers. In short, the efficiency of your speakers directly corolates with the value of your impedance, given a matched rating impedance as unity.

Now it gets fun. Impedances change dependant upon frequency. Typically, impedance values will decrease in the extreme low-end (less than 100Hz) as rated impedance decreases (i.e. going from 16ohm to 8ohm = an exponential decrease in impedance below 100Hz). Right now you're probably thinking to yourself that's a good thing... it means less resistance in the extreme low end. Except we're dealing with guitar amps, and if you were worth your weight in salt in a studio, you'd know that anything lower than 100Hz is completely off-limits for guitars. To simplify, you WANT that resistance. It's also worth pointing out that impedance values for frequencies above 100Hz remain fairly uniform from one rated impedance to the next, with only modest changes in the baseline value.

So what does this mean to the recording engineer? It means you have a cleaner signal to track, one that's not infested with late-responding resonant bass frequencies.

And the moral of this story is stay in school kids!
Quote by GrisKy
Riiight... I'm sure you have several buddies who own an M-box. I believe that you never went to jr high though.

Here's your re-education, I'll try to not go over your head: Impedance 101

Impedance restricts the flow of power from your amp, i.e. if you lower your impedance from 16ohm to 8ohm, you have less resistance. Less resistance sounds like a good thing, but what it really means is that your amp has to work harder to fill the void created by the lower resistance (Current = voltage/impedance). This inefficiency will cause your amp to run hotter (eat more power) and will speed up wear and tear in both your amp and your speakers. In short, the efficiency of your speakers directly corolates with the value of your impedance, given a matched rating impedance as unity.

Now it gets fun. Impedances change dependant upon frequency. Typically, impedance values will decrease in the extreme low-end (less than 100Hz) as rated impedance decreases (i.e. going from 16ohm to 8ohm = an exponential decrease in impedance below 100Hz). Right now you're probably thinking to yourself that's a good thing... it means less resistance in the extreme low end. Except we're dealing with guitar amps, and if you were worth your weight in salt in a studio, you'd know that anything lower than 100Hz is completely off-limits for guitars. To simplify, you WANT that resistance. It's also worth pointing out that impedance values for frequencies above 100Hz remain fairly uniform from one rated impedance to the next, with only modest changes in the baseline value.

So what does this mean to the recording engineer? It means you have a cleaner signal to track, one that's not infested with late-responding resonant bass frequencies.

And the moral of this story is stay in school kids!

You just got served.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Well i'm gonna stick up for Dr Pain here.

Yes, impedence mismatching CAN work and have very good results. If you're using solid state. Some tube amps can do it as well. Marshalls, dont even bother, bugeras, dont bother.

I've blown up amps and cabs from mismatching (going up and down). This only really applies to tubes, from what i hear you can do it with fenders.

But in a studio environment, if someone brought their amp to me to record in my studio. There is no chance in hell i would mismatch impedences.

If there is bass, its called a high pass filter, never had a problem with it, they don't have a problem with it when i do live sound, my friends dont (and im not talking about friends who do local pubs) and the big boy engineers dont have a problem with it.

If mismatching works for you, awesome, me, i don't wanna have to go, oh look at this cool thing i can do, and then **** some guys amp.

Also about the resonant bass frequencies. I've recorded bands where, i had to leave some low end junk in there because of those frequencies, once they were cut, it just didnt have the same feel, sounded clearer, but not better. If a guitarist has his tone down, don't **** with it, especially if it makes it sound worse in the mix.

Thats recording 101 dont do anything that makes it sound worse.
doom: you clearly didn't bother to read my first post ("you should always try to match your amp first and foremost."), whatev. you seem to have the idea that I'm saying otherwise would be best. What I'm saying is that, should your amp support it (like the JSX in this case), you should choose the higher impedance.

and btw, you'll get a better sound to mix with if it sounds good tracking, but yeah, a high pass does a great touch up in most cases. this might work well for you in the future: record a dry track (if you don't already) and reamp it through the same or similar amp out of a highly resonant cab (i.e. oversized mesa recto 4x12). run a low pass that's bottomed out, 100Hz-around 225Hz depending on the band and your needs. this way you still have that "ambience" so as not to play f*** f*** games with your compressor(s), but you can still automate it independantly of the clearer track.
I'm sorry, but those effects are negligible if we're talking about guitar amps. Don't worry about it being over my head, I'm an EE student.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
I'm sorry, but those effects are negligible if we're talking about guitar amps. Don't worry about it being over my head, I'm an EE student.

sure you don't mean SE? as in special ed?
Nope, EE as in electrical engineering. I applaud you on your master bullshittery though.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ok smartass, how about citing my deficiencies instead of just claiming it's bullshit? atleast i back my bullshit up. you've offered nothing.
Quote by GrisKy
ok smartass, how about citing my deficiencies instead of just claiming it's bullshit? atleast i back my bullshit up. you've offered nothing.

I love the smell of ownage in the morning.

But i can't pay anyone out, both of you would own me hard from behind anyway so i'll just watch.

Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by GrisKy

I don't feel like going through everything you have said. Most of it is indeed correct, but almost none of it will really matter to the TS in any practical situation. As long as he gets a cab that isn't overpowered by the amp and is of matching impedance, he'll be good to go. You should go try out your tough guy smartass routine IRL, nobody here cares. Srsly.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
I don't feel like going through everything you have said. Most of it is indeed correct, but almost none of it will really matter to the TS in any practical situation. As long as he gets a cab that isn't overpowered by the amp and is of matching impedance, he'll be good to go. You should go try out your tough guy smartass routine IRL, nobody here cares. Srsly.

but wait! i thought it was "bullshit," what gives?

maybe you just stuck your foot in yor mouth trying to be cute on UG, and now you know you're owned.

and speaking of "RL," (god, you're a f***ing joke) i can let go of the fact that you're a douchebag who constantly tries to counter my posts with half-truths and insults, but the day is going to come when you open your mouth to the wrong badass mother****er, and he pushes your shit in until you think his dick is your toung.

good luck "doc," you need it... Srsly.
Last edited by GrisKy at Oct 26, 2009,

chill ya'll.

besides grisk you'll never get through to a ee dude, i remember them dudes from across the hall when i got my bachelors in cs. it's like screaming at a wall. besides he has enough "i'm right" to sleep at night.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I hope the TS has his answer, because your endless bickering and and internet-muscle flexing have gotten his or her thread closed.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...