Hey, all, I've had some of this stuff (the guitar and pedal) for just over a month but wanted to wait til I got my setup fully actualised before I got the N_D thread ready. First up, my new (and first) tattoo - why not? Just got it on Tuesday.

Now onto the gear – my guitar first of all. It’s a cheap Telecaster copy, but having played them in the past, this one plays and feels better than any Mexican one that I’ve tried. All i’m going to do with it is replace the nut, the neck pickup and maybe the bridge and pots. Considering I paid £75 for this, it won’t even cost me that again to upgrade it.

Next up, my Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive. This Pedal is Godly. I tried this and a Bad Monkey through a Vox AC-4 in the shop and hands down this one done it for me so much more. I may get another OD at some point, purely for the fact of having two different options tonally, but I could easily survive on this alone. Through my new amp it really sparkles as there is so little in the way of obtrusive circuitry. It was great through the Rat too, but it pairs up perfectly with the Valvepower.
Next on the list is my new cab. I decided to get the Vox AC-4 cab as having tried it before, I was pretty impressed with the character of it and what it brought out of the amplifier. For £130 it’s pretty damn good. I could have got the V30 2x12 from Thomann, but given how big this cab is, a 2x12 would have been intrusive in my flat. If I hold onto this, I might think about recovering it in the same tolex as my amp with some white piping, but keep the diamond grillcloth – what do you think? Either way, it’s a good match to my amp and was one of the only 1x12 cabs that could fit my head. I was considering an 80’s Ampeg 2x12 but it was more expensive and my budget really is limited although I’ve just bought all this stuff.

Now, the new amp. Just from what I’ve heard from Dave_Mc and a few others, I decided to pull the trigger on one of these bad boys. The features are excellent. A Marshall 18w clone, totally hand wired, valve rectified, no PCB’s, JJ Vslves, Mullard caps blah blah blah... The best feature is the variable voltage selector, which is similar to the power scale I had on my old amp which basically takes the amp from a full 18w to almost silent and then off, as the power dial also functions as the power switch. This amp is an absolute tone monster and is for an EL84 amp, my Holy Grail. I haven’t played much else in terms of boutique quality gear, but this amp is essentially the sound in my head. I tried it with a Wasburn HB30 – which may be my next purchase (I’m no longer buying expensive guitars) and humbuckers are predictably outstanding through this amp.

Here’s the drama though. The amp has died on me. I think the valves have went. The sound cut and faded in and out a few times as I was playing. There was a fizzy, splatty sound present whenever I held a chord too. I turned it off and checked the back, nothing was loose or rattling so I gave it another try later, same problem. I emailed Steve and he told me to leave the amp on without the guitar plugged in. There was a crackle and then just your ambient amp noise which I noticed suddenly disappeared as I was watching the TV. I tried it again with the guitar plugged in, no sound and then suddenly it spluttered back to life intermittently before finally going kaput! Happy days these are not. On the plus side, Steve from Valvepower, who has been immensely helpful has offered to pay for the repairs, letting me take it to a local tech to get looked at. I don’t know if it’s a case of just replacing valves, but if so, he’s offered to pay for valves for me, which I can replace myself. I don’t want anyone to get ripped of by an unscrupulous amp tech. Any ideas – I’m definitely guessing it’s the valves, as the power light stays on the whole time, although all the valves are lit.

Anyway, here’s a family pic, including my Taylor Acoustic, as I never mention it on here but it deserves major love!

Last edited by greggybhoy at Oct 23, 2009,
im not too good a t this, but does the amp has tubes? can't those be your problem?

Anyway, Happy New Gear day! i don't know what i don't like in the shape of a telecaster, but i've seen also some nice ones, and that pedal looks nice!
Cool tat
Cool guitar
Cool pedal
Cool cab
...sorry about the amp

I'm sure its something that a tech can figure out rather quickly.

HNSD!

Just take her to tech, if you're worried about getting ripped off get quotes from a few and go with whichever one seems better.
What make of tele' is that? I've been looking for a cheap one to upgrade recently.
HNeverythingD!
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

For some reason, the amp is working again today I'm going to take it to Flynn amps tomorrow to get it checked out.

Quote by SimplyBen
Just take her to tech, if you're worried about getting ripped off get quotes from a few and go with whichever one seems better.
What make of tele' is that? I've been looking for a cheap one to upgrade recently.
HNeverythingD!

The Tele is an SX Vintage Series "Custom Handmade" I'll have you know . That's what the headstock says. The neck on it is unbelievably good. the guys on TDPRI forums rave about them. If you are in America, you'll have to put up with a non original style headstock which is on the fugly side, but the models made for the European market all have proper Fender style headstocks. You can actually cut it to shape without any problems though. It's a great platform to upgrade upon. Another nice touch they have is slot-head tuners. I got mine second hand but in brand new condition. I've tried their SKY Strat, (which looks just like SRV on the scratchplate) and it was also great. Their semi-acoustics are nice too. They also do a 69 Thinline copy that I've yet to try, but would consider based on this.
Last edited by greggybhoy at Oct 23, 2009,
Cool tele. Sorry about the head, hope that works out with Flynn. It's probably something simple, usually is anyway.

What Taylor is that? 110? Big Baby?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Cool tele. Sorry about the head, hope that works out with Flynn. It's probably something simple, usually is anyway.

What Taylor is that? 110? Big Baby?

Big Baby. Why the poke?

The thing with the amp is, that obviously the power light is still on, but the valves were still lit when it conked out on me. Steve has been really good though, as I say, he's paying for the repair, and has been quick to answer any emails.
SO why is the transparent od so good?
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Damn dude. Sounds like a good month, cept for the amp. Happy new everything day.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
glad you like the tone of the amp, very sorry it's conked out on you. I have no idea what's wrong, I've been very lucky with all my valve amps (touch wood), so have never had to troubleshoot. As ben said, you could maybe take it to a couple of techs to get some opinions. Or you could ask on the bareknuckle tech forum, a couple of amp builders hang out there, ditto musicradar.

good luck
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Congratulations on the new equipment. And thanks for not making separate N...D's for each individual thing.

Sorry about the amp but I can't help. If Steve says take it to a tech, he'll know better than anyone on UG - he owns the company, afterall.
Nice amp I love mine. Sorry about it not working though At least it came with a power cable though?

EDIT: Where did you get the Tele?
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Last edited by ILiKePiNeAppLeS at Oct 23, 2009,
Nice, I should be getting a valvepower next week. Could you record some Clips?
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Nice, that amp must sound great when it was working...hopefully it will get up and running soon enough!

HNGD!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
At least it came with a power cable though?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Wow I think that's like my first lol line ever

I want a lol stack
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
hehe
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You got yourself a fiiine looking telecaster there, Happy New Everything Day dude!
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
HNStuffD! Please don't replace the tolex on the cab! 'Tis sexy!

Only caveat to me is the acoustic. Not a fan of Taylor's stuff below the 300 series
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
HNStuffD! Please don't replace the tolex on the cab! 'Tis sexy!

Only caveat to me is the acoustic. Not a fan of Taylor's stuff below the 300 series

There wasn't much else floating my boat to be honest acoustic-wise. I felt compelled to buy it when I got a tax rebate couple of years ago, as I bought one off my cousin about 3 years ago but sold it to fund a very very very good week in Ibiza. He wasn't happy. It is what it is I suppose, although I have recently been looking at getting something bigger with some more oomph. I fancy a jumbo (grow up!), or even a full size dreadnought, but wouldn't know where to start with acoustic guitars. It sounds decent to me though.

Re: the Tolex, would it be a better idea to maybe recover the head in the same Tolex as the Vox? That may actually look nicer...
Is that tattoo the Sailor Jerry's thing?

Gutted about the amp, but how's that tele? I really want a tele, and I was planning to save up and buy a MIM or Baja, but if where could I try these out?
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by monkey_dancer
Is that tattoo the Sailor Jerry's thing?

Gutted about the amp, but how's that tele? I really want a tele, and I was planning to save up and buy a MIM or Baja, but if where could I try these out?

Yes, it is . You do know he was a famous tattoo artist before his recipe became famous don't you? The Hula girl pin up is a very famous and classic old school tattoo. It's not like I'm walking around with a Nike Swoosh tattooed on me...

The Tele is great, but these SX models are hard to come by as they are a budget brand and most shops are bulging with Squiers, Westfields, Staggs and countless other brands so it's hard to get a foothold. I've played the Baja, but would definitely take this over it as you could do all the mods to make this the same spec and it would cost about £200 including the guitar. It's better than any other MIM I've tried too. I'm considering some sort of upgrade, but at the same time, I may think about selling this one, as I played a Washburn Semi through the amp that just paired up with it so much better to my ears than the Tele.
Quote by greggybhoy
Yes, it is . You do know he was a famous tattoo artist before his recipe became famous don't you? The Hula girl pin up is a very famous and classic old school tattoo. It's not like I'm walking around with a Nike Swoosh tattooed on me...

The Tele is great, but these SX models are hard to come by as they are a budget brand and most shops are bulging with Squiers, Westfields, Staggs and countless other brands so it's hard to get a foothold. I've played the Baja, but would definitely take this over it as you could do all the mods to make this the same spec and it would cost about £200 including the guitar. It's better than any other MIM I've tried too. I'm considering some sort of upgrade, but at the same time, I may think about selling this one, as I played a Washburn Semi through the amp that just paired up with it so much better to my ears than the Tele.

I didn't know that, and I was only laughing 'cos I love Sailor Jerry's! Think of it more as a compliment to good taste!

And do you know of anywhere I could try the tele? i'm not really fond of the idea of buying a guitar without trying that exact guitar...

Although if I could get one for <£60/70, I would probably just buy one to see how it was, so if you do sell it... Tell me!
Quote by XxLloydxX
Last edited by monkey_dancer at Oct 23, 2009,
We could do business for £70, but there would be delivery on top. I paid £15 for delivery of it so it would be about that.

Also, I'm a bit of a fan of the ol' Sailor Jerry as well. It's easy to forget it's actually alcohol - until the next morning. Rum kills me. Got to have the lime squeezed into it though.
Quote by greggybhoy
We could do business for £70, but there would be delivery on top. I paid £15 for delivery of it so it would be about that.

Also, I'm a bit of a fan of the ol' Sailor Jerry as well. It's easy to forget it's actually alcohol - until the next morning. Rum kills me. Got to have the lime squeezed into it though.

That'd be cool. Although I'm still a little funny about buying a guitar I've never played... Call me old fashioned..? You say it plays well?

Haha, every time I have a lot of rum, I do regret it... Although I don't mind the straight shots!
Quote by XxLloydxX
Quote by monkey_dancer
That'd be cool. Although I'm still a little funny about buying a guitar I've never played... Call me old fashioned..? You say it plays well?

Haha, every time I have a lot of rum, I do regret it... Although I don't mind the straight shots!

Definitely plays well. The neck on this doesn't belong on a guitar this cheap. It is very comfortable and has slightly burled edges like you'd find on more expensive guitars. It's fairly light and very well balanced.

I understand how you feel about not having played something, as it is obviously the most major part of a guitar. Be reassured though, it's no dud. i just have a totally schizophrenic approach to guitars. I've owned about 12 different guitars in the past 2 years. I just recently sold a vintage 1960s Ibanez that I had before this guitar that was incredible. There is a NGD thread on UG about it. I wish I hadn't sold that guitar as I had no real real rationale behind doing so - just looked at it one day and thought "I'm selling you..."
Quote by greggybhoy
Definitely plays well. The neck on this doesn't belong on a guitar this cheap. It is very comfortable and has slightly burled edges like you'd find on more expensive guitars. It's fairly light and very well balanced.

I understand how you feel about not having played something, as it is obviously the most major part of a guitar. Be reassured though, it's no dud. i just have a totally schizophrenic approach to guitars. I've owned about 12 different guitars in the past 2 years. I just recently sold a vintage 1960s Ibanez that I had before this guitar that was incredible. There is a NGD thread on UG about it. I wish I hadn't sold that guitar as I had no real real rationale behind doing so - just looked at it one day and thought "I'm selling you..."

Certainly sounds good and for that much, it seems worth a try, especially since it couldn't be hard to sell it on at little/no loss..

Depends on whether you sell it or not I guess, but since I'm going to try to save for a tele anyway, I'd definitely be interested if you did.

And gutted about the switching guitars thing, I get the same urge, except with buying pedals I don't even want THAT much?
Quote by XxLloydxX
I'll PM you my email address. I really need to get to bed. I work late in a bar and didn't get home til 3 but I'm up and about early tomorrow so drop me a line at some point.
HN[stuff]D!!
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Last edited by no.mop at Oct 24, 2009,
I thought those amps came in a strange metal grille case? Any samples I heard were great. Shame it's gone and died on you man. I'd send it back or at least look for tech support. If all you were doing was playing through it you weren't doing much wrong...

Those cheapy fender copies can be a great inestment if you own a soldering iron.

I've been admiring some made in Kerry by a company called Freya guitars.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
That tele copy is wonderful looking, surprised it's on the cheap end.
Quote by Plexi81
That tele copy is wonderful looking, surprised it's on the cheap end.

The photos don't do it justice. The grain of the wood is clearly visible through the finish in person. The actual colour of finish is very similar to the Fender '52 Teles, although it's obviously poly rather than nitro. I've always liked tinted necks too.

Gerard, I don't know much about Freya guitars, are they definitely made in Ireland? I'd imagine at that price for them, the guy probably designs them but they are made elsewhere. Either way, they look pretty nice, although the headstocks are pot ugly.

The Valvepower usually comes in a Concord style case but Steve told me he is going to be making these from time to time, with the Hiwatt/Marshall style cosmetics. They don't cost any extra either (at least mine didn't).

Steve's paying for the repairs so no worries there. This is the first amp in 100+ he's made of that has had any problems, I've been told, but I'm confident it's pretty simple. I tried it yesterday and it worked fine again but I want to be 100% sure there's nothing serious going on beneath.
yeah, definitely. it wouldn't be a dodgy rectifier valve or something like that? I'm no amp tech, but the problem does sound a bit different to a lot of the other problems I've heard around valve amps, and most valve amps now have ss rectifiers. Could be way off, though, as i said, i'm no amp tech.

EDIT: a shop down in dublin had sx guitars last time i was there. I'm kicking myself i didn't try them last time i was there- the shop was sort of empty, and there weren't any sales assistants handy, so i didn't bother waiting as there were other guitar shops i wanted to go to...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 24, 2009,
Quote by greggybhoy

Gerard, I don't know much about Freya guitars, are they definitely made in Ireland? I'd imagine at that price for them, the guy probably designs them but they are made elsewhere. Either way, they look pretty nice, although the headstocks are pot ugly.

You could be right, but their blue strat is damn purrty.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.