ok, so i've narrowed my search for a new amp down to pretty much 3 but i was wondering what you guys all thought about them before i make my final decision and go and try them out.

Mesa Dual Recifier, with Mesa 2x12 cab

Mesa Mark V combo

ENGL Powerball, with Engl 2x12 cab
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Have you played all of them? The mesas are nice...but are definitely love/hate. Some people can't be bothered to go through the trouble of tweaking them to get a good sound.
If you are able to play at high volumes (and I mean REALLY high volumes), you should go for the Rectifier. If not, the ENGL should be the amp of your choice, I think it sounds better than the Rectifier at low volumes. I haven't played the Mark V yet, though.
so does the rectifier not sound good at low volumes??
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by shredftw
Mesa Dual Recifier, with Mesa 2x12 cab

Mesa Mark V combo

ENGL Powerball, with Engl 2x12 cab

IMO:

I love the sound of a hard charging dual rec, but I'm not a big fan of their cabs (aaand here come the flamers...). Too much bass resonance. The ENGL is very nice, and I agree sounds better at lower volumes, but if it were my cash, I'd mix the dual rec with the ENGL cab (not sure of ENGL's 2x12 impedance though. Is it wired parallel or series?).

...not to thumb my nose at the MkV, which I can tell you from personal experience can imitate the MkIV and MkIIC+. I'm partial to the dual rec though.
Quote by shredftw
so does the rectifier not sound good at low volumes??

Not as good as it would sound tweaked up. At low volumes it will sound still good, but you can get amps which sound better at low volumes and are much cheaper. The Powerball is one of the for sure.
Quote by GrisKy
not sure of ENGL's 2x12 impedance though. Is it wired parallel or series?

on the website it says its 8 ohms, 2x16 in stereo
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Well depending on what you want it for, since the Mark V is great and does get a mad hard rock tone but if you're after ultra high gain, you won't get it without some kind of boost. Personally i'd say the ENGL, Rectifiers to me are fantastic in their own right, but personally i prefer the voicing of the ENGL's. If you get the chance try them all out before you decide
Quote by GrisKy
2x16! wtf?

just look on the website, i haven't got a clue about impedences and things like that. i just know if i like the sound of the amp
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
OOOOOOhhh, I see what you mean, I though you were saying it was a 2x16 as in two 16" speakers. It's saying 8ohm with two 16ohm speakers when run stereo (in other words, wired parallel... 16ohm divided by 2 speakers = 8ohm)

have you looked at the ENGL 2 x 12" Standard Slanted E 212 S? If the dual rec interrests you, I wold suggest this 16ohm model, or, if you really like the V30's (many do), rewire it series parallel. here's a link to help explain:

http://www.usspeaker.com/homepage.htm

(left hand column, scroll all the way to the bottom and click the link)
Last edited by GrisKy at Oct 23, 2009,
I have a triple rectifier, and absolutely love it... what kinds of music are you playing ?

If you can afford a mark V or a recto, I wouldn't worry too much about the volume. you can get a hotplate attenuator on ebay for about $200. I run one out of my recto and it lets me crank it up, but dial the speaker down quiet enough to be able to play into the wee hours of the night without waking the wife. Some people say that it "sucks tone", but I haven't really found that to be the case with mine. It will alter it somewhat, but nothing a little knob diddling won't cure.

I've never played a MK5, but if you like Mesas I think you'll dig it. Be prepared for some serious knob tweaking if you go that route though.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan
I have a triple rectifier, and absolutely love it... what kinds of music are you playing ?

If you can afford a mark V or a recto, I wouldn't worry too much about the volume. you can get a hotplate attenuator on ebay for about $200. I run one out of my recto and it lets me crank it up, but dial the speaker down quiet enough to be able to play into the wee hours of the night without waking the wife. Some people say that it "sucks tone", but I haven't really found that to be the case with mine. It will alter it somewhat, but nothing a little knob diddling won't cure.

I've never played a MK5, but if you like Mesas I think you'll dig it. Be prepared for some serious knob tweaking if you go that route though.

i generally advise against attenuators, but i also know the value of not waking the mrs.
...good call also on the MkV. i forgot to mention earlier that it takes some SERIOUS tweaking to get it juuust right. i got lucky and had a mesa tech on hand for a demo.
from what i've read (on mesa boogie forums) many players with dual recs struggle to get a lead tone they like. However it is possible. I found one and there are a few on youtube that i envy. Boosting it with a maxon od808/fulltone OCD is also extremely popular. They arent hard to Eq, just read the manual and understand how it works then go from there. The slightest turns can create pretty big changes.

i think if you've got the money for the mark V and love to tweak then give it a shot. If it's anything like the other Marks enjoy your tight bottom end and amazing lead tones.

Play them all (on loud volumes if possible) then you should have a fair idea.
2005 Ibanez RG1570
1998 Ibanez RG7620
1998 Mesa 2 Ch. Dual Rec
Quote by 1570-Shred
from what i've read (on mesa boogie forums) many players with dual recs struggle to get a lead tone they like. However it is possible. I found one and there are a few on youtube that i envy. Boosting it with a maxon od808/fulltone OCD is also extremely popular. They arent hard to Eq, just read the manual and understand how it works then go from there. The slightest turns can create pretty big changes.

i think if you've got the money for the mark V and love to tweak then give it a shot. If it's anything like the other Marks enjoy your tight bottom end and amazing lead tones.

Play them all (on loud volumes if possible) then you should have a fair idea.

i wound up sending my dual to TAD at voodoo amps to get modded, but before that, i noticed that the treble controls are more or less inoperable. one of the best sounds i found on the dual (red channel) was to just about max out your bass and mids, bottom out your treb, and adjust pesence (as though it were your treble) to taste. also, POWER AMP GAIN.

for a great lead tone, might i suggest starting with the 2nd channel ("amber") and spare the red channel for heavy rythm playing.
right, thanks guys for all the help and advice. i'm probs gonna go with one of the mesa's but i'll try all of them out. cheers again!!!
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults