i'm looking at getting a valve amp soon, and i hear they are much loder than solid state amps. i was wondering what would be the cheapest attenuator that i would be able to use with a combo in europe.
Quote by GrisKy
don't attenuate until you know what an attenuator does.

i happen to know what one does, it enables you to fully crank your amp whilst being able to be played at a reasonable level
Some combo amps have the speaker plugged into an out on the back of the amp some don't. You can have one that doesn't have it this way easily changed but most people don't want to start working on new gear right away. I like Weber attenuators personally.
brit: yeah, like i said... google is your friend.

pete: depends on what it's wired with, but it's possible regardless... not so much a matter of "disconnecting" the two so much as it is inserting an attenuator inbetween. hell, some combos just connect the two with a 1/4" cable jack out of the poweramp section.
It can be done...just easier on some combos (the ones where the speaker wires have jacks attached already).
For the price they charge for attenuators, you're better of getting power scaling or variable voltage installed in your amp. Essentially, both are wattage selectors that preserve far more tonal integrity than old style speaker attenuators do. This enables proper power amp distortion at very low volume. They also prolong valve life unlike attenuators.

Amps like the Egnater Rebel 20 and anything by Rat Valve Amps come with power scaling. My new Valvepower has Variable Voltage. Buying any of these would be a more cost effective way of having an amp that can sound just as good in your living room at 11 in the evening as it would at the same time in a packed club.
Quote by greggybhoy
For the price they charge for attenuators, you're better of getting power scaling or variable voltage installed in your amp. Essentially, both are wattage selectors that preserve far more tonal integrity than old style speaker attenuators do. This enables proper power amp distortion at very low volume. They also prolong valve life unlike attenuators.

Amps like the Egnater Rebel 20 and anything by Rat Valve Amps come with power scaling. My new Valvepower has Variable Voltage. Buying any of these would be a more cost effective way of having an amp that can sound just as good in your living room at 11 in the evening as it would at the same time in a packed club.

i really like this idea for a lot of combos. while it'll result in slight variations in tone (as if attenuation didn't), it's nice t be able to switch to very low wattage. for the audiophiles out there... not to get off topic, but suffice it to say there would be other considerations.
Second time for this recommendation this evening, but the Peavey Windsor Studio has a built in attenuator. Also, any amp with a "master volume" already has an attenuator of sorts so make sure you need one before you buy one.
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Quote by britishsligean
i happen to know what one does, it enables you to fully crank your amp whilst being able to be played at a reasonable level

But do you need to crank your amp? Have you ever heard a cranked amp? An attenuator will only take a few dB off the top before it kills the sound quality, for most purposes I'd simply use an overdrive pedal or two.

I get great classic/hard rock tones out of my amp at very low volumes using pedals. I've discovered that the humble and oft-abused DS-1 works beautifully with my handwired 18W Marshall clone, and I've also got a homebrew overdrive that can boost it a little further into hard rock territory.
The sound's much better than I've heard from an attenuator on any sort of effective setting and it gives the amp 3 pseudo-channels!

Power Scaling is better if you're having the amp built fropm scratch, or you can find one with the tech built in. Otherwise, I'd look at the Weber MASS or MiniMASS, assuming they still produce them - RIP Ted! Much better than anything else on the market and about 1/3 of the price - though shipping from the US might be costly.
Quote by kyle62
I'd look at the Weber MASS or MiniMASS, assuming they still produce them - RIP Ted! Much better than anything else on the market and about 1/3 of the price

true words, good post all around.