hi,
i was thinking, whats the advantage of having an OD over an EQ for boosting an amp? why does so many people use OD's ? what are the main advantages of either
OD help for a thicker sound a sound that cuts through

EQ also helps to cut through but also changes what frequencies you want,

you might want more bass on your guitar, it cuts through less
add an OD problem solved
i liek a od in front to push the preamp andf a eq in the effects loop to tweak my tone
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by Martindecorum
OD help for a thicker sound a sound that cuts through

EQ also helps to cut through but also changes what frequencies you want,

you might want more bass on your guitar, it cuts through less
add an OD problem solved

on an EQ you can add more bass if you want though can't you?
Gear List:
Guitars:
Schecter C7 Hellraiser
Jackson JS20 Dinky
Ibanez MTM1 (Slipknot Signature)
Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Head (with Grill Mod)
Cab and Effects:
Orange PPC412(BLK)
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor
Why is no one mentioning drive?

An OD has a volume and a drive knob. The volume knob is just a boost, the same as you could do with an EQ. The drive knob is actually a clipping circuit, to allow the signal to clip, or overdrive.

An EQ has no drive, only boosts, which just add power to the signal. EQs allow you to add power to different frequency ranges, instead of just an overall boost like an OD.

They are completely different, but have one feature in common... Like a lot of guitar gear; almost any pedal has a volume knob, and therefore can be used as a boost.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Harvesterofsrrw
i liek a od in front to push the preamp andf a eq in the effects loop to tweak my tone

this^

...in most cases.
Quote by Harvesterofsrrw

Same
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
but most people run there drive at 0 when boosting don't they?
Gear List:
Guitars:
Schecter C7 Hellraiser
Jackson JS20 Dinky
Ibanez MTM1 (Slipknot Signature)
Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Head (with Grill Mod)
Cab and Effects:
Orange PPC412(BLK)
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor
Quote by jamesy_pwd

depends what sound you are after, experiment is the key
i run mine with drive on 2 closer to 3 just for some extra grit to the leads
Quote by jamesy_pwd

if you're just using it for its inherrent mid-range boost and to give your preamp a nice kick in the balls, yes. if you want the particular sound of the pedal in addition to what it does to your preamp, then also boost the gain.
Quote by jamesy_pwd

Yes, this is the same as an EQ with the volume slider all the way up and the EQ flat... People mostly do this because Bad Monkeys and TS9s and other cheap ODs make great boosts, even though their drives are a bit lacking. Basically there is no reason to by an expensive clean boost, when a cheap OD with the drive set to 0 is just as good.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Yes, this is the same as an EQ with the volume slider all the way up and the EQ flat... People mostly do this because Bad Monkeys and TS9s and other cheap ODs make great boosts, even though their drives are a bit lacking. Basically there is no reason to by an expensive clean boost, when a cheap OD with the drive set to 0 is just as good.

negative tubestied86, on both counts. the TS9 is a perfectly fine OD in its own right, and you can't do with a bm what I can do with a durham sexdrive.
Quote by GrisKy
negative tubestied86, on both counts. the TS9 is a perfectly fine OD in its own right, and you can't do with a bm what I can do with a durham sexdrive.

I haven't played with a TS9 myself, but from I've heard friends play on them and was not impressed, but that doesn't really mean anything. Also I agree that there are better and worse clean boosts, I'm just saying that's why most people use BMs and other low end ODs as clean boosts, because for the most part a boost is a boost... FOR THE MOST PART.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I haven't played with a TS9 myself, but from I've heard friends play on them and was not impressed, but that doesn't really mean anything. Also I agree that there are better and worse clean boosts, I'm just saying that's why most people use BMs and other low end ODs as clean boosts, because for the most part a boost is a boost... FOR THE MOST PART.

nice backpedal... i'll allow it.
Quote by GrisKy
nice backpedal... i'll allow it.

Don't be an ass, my previous remarks were generalizations, congrats you found exceptions to generalizations. The TS9's OD is 'a bit lacking,' by most accounts, I don't think you can argue that. As for clean boosts, I understand that with most there is a bit of coloring, and some is more desired than others, but in general terms a clean boost is a clean boost.

Why do you love arguing on here so much? You obviously just lurk until you see a slight semantics error and you pounce. Get a life.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
TS9 is lacking What?? Friends?? IF you haven't used one.......How Do you Know?
Quote by tubetime86

No. It is not nearly the same thing.

Quote by tubetime86
Don't be an ass, my previous remarks were generalizations, congrats you found exceptions to generalizations. The TS9's OD is 'a bit lacking,' by most accounts, I don't think you can argue that. As for clean boosts, I understand that with most there is a bit of coloring, and some is more desired than others, but in general terms a clean boost is a clean boost.

Yes, the TS9 is "A Bit Lacking" I mean, SRV etc used it for that very reason. That's why it's one of the most popular pedals for tightening up a high gain amp. Because it's lacking.

Last edited by JilaX^ at Oct 23, 2009,
Grisky and JilaX - its pretty obvious that you're just in here to harass people and give them a hard time.

You both have been reported.

As for what tubetime was saying, I agree that the TS-9, along with most "green tubescreamer" pedals, are a bit lacking in the OD department - they can't really compare to natural tube overdrive.

And yes, JilaX, an EQ with the volume slider maxed is the same as an OD with the volume maxed and the gain cut to 0.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Grisky and JilaX - its pretty obvious that you're just in here to harass people and give them a hard time.

You both have been reported.

As for what tubetime was saying, I agree that the TS-9, along with most "green tubescreamer" pedals, are a bit lacking in the OD department - they can't really compare to natural tube overdrive.

And yes, JilaX, an EQ with the volume slider maxed is the same as an OD with the volume maxed and the gain cut to 0.

Nothing compare to sheer Volume Or natural OD with tube amps. I just diagree the Ts9 is lacking. I've owned my fair share of OD pedals and the Greeny is still on my board. Again It's just Opinion no one is right or wrong......Unless you haven't tried the pedal.
i prefer to have an eq boost so i can set it to effect some frequencies more than others especially mids, i get a better boosted tone that way
it's all just preference though
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Oct 23, 2009,
Quote by JilaX^
No. It is not nearly the same thing.

Yes, the TS9 is "A Bit Lacking" I mean, SRV etc used it for that very reason. That's why it's one of the most popular pedals for tightening up a high gain amp. Because it's lacking.

MMjohn: I have heard a TS-9 being used... I just haven't had the chance to mess with settings myself. I think I am still allowed to have an opinion. Just because you have one doesn't mean no one can comment on it. 'A bit lacking' is not a very harsh critique anyway. I would say a lot of really good gear is still 'a bit lacking.' But at least you acknowledge that this is opinion, so I think we are in agreement, really.

Jilax: You are trying to tell me that SRV used stock TS-9s... That's a joke. Listen, I said it was a bit lacking, if it isn't then why do TS-808s and other more expensive ODs exist? I'm not saying more expensive is better, just that the TS-9 is obviously not THE OD, so some must think it is 'a bit lacking.' Besides, the DS-1 is one of the most popular distortion pedals so does that mean it is perfect?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Oct 23, 2009,