Whenever I tune my guitar down to Drop C or something heavy like that I always seem to write good metal rhythm parts, but not lead parts and when it's in standard I always write good lead parts, but not rhythm. So to try counteract that I have my guitar tuned to C standard and its working out OK. (I've only been playing for 1.5-ish years so my playing is not all that good)

So I was just wondering if anyone else has this?
Quote by lildude_6859
would C-standard be the top half C and the bottom half standard?

one wouldnt think so that would be a hybrid tuning

As for TS, a bit more knowledge of chord construction/keys and scales will assist with leads and rhythms in all tunings
Quote by lildude_6859

no i think C standard is

C
F
Bb
Eb
G
C
Last edited by JayLacelle at Oct 23, 2009,
Quote by lildude_6859

Its standard tuning with all the strings dropped 2 notes down.
Quote by Martindecorum
one wouldnt think so that would be a hybrid tuning

As for TS, a bit more knowledge of chord construction/keys and scales will assist with leads and rhythms in all tunings

Do you know any good books/articles to help with chord construction?
I used to be like that. It happens when you get caught up in the mindset of "Low for heavy, high for melody". That's not always the case. I eventually got out of it, and I enjoy standard tunings more, but I still play the occasional drop tuning.

At least... that's how it was for me.
I think the problem might be the ear... chugging away on low tunings is always great... but when it comes time to solo... its like the notes just dont do it for you anymore. Well, thats how it was for me... I guess you just have to acquaint yourself with it like you are now.. by staying in the tuning constantly, you accomodate the ear as well... thats how I see it. May not be the same for you... but it just might be...
Just tab out a lead riff you write in standard tuning, then play it in C tuning. That might get you ear used to the tuning. Also, make sure your guitar is intonated correctly.