Poll: Which should I go after?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which should I go after?
Delay Pedal
18 45%
Wah Pedal
22 55%
Voters: 40.
So my birthday is coming up on Sunday, and besides getting a new amp I also want to get my very first effect pedal. I used to not be into the idea of adding effects to my music, but as my musical taste has grown I've really gotten into the idea of that kind of stuff.
But the thing is, a wah pedal and a delay pedal aren't neccesary to be a guitarist. So choosing between the two, I guess it's really about which one I would have more fun with. And which one I could do the most with musically. At first I wanted a delay pedal because I thought a wah would be to boring. But after hearing the riff for "Dirty Pillow Talk" I realize how much fun it could be to have a wah pedal.

Anyways, personally, what do you think would be better to have?
Wah pedals get old, but maybe that's just me. I love delay, much more versatile. Grab a Memory Boy for some real fun...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
my first pedal was a wah, and I suggest it. It's very versatile too.
Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait a second. I was browsing around on guitar center and I found something called a multi effect pedal.
Can anybody fill me in on that? It looks confusing to have that much stuff in one pedal but maybe I misread it.

And on a side note, to tubetime86, that's what I was thinking. It just seemed like Wah effects would get to boring after a while.
the multi effect pedal has everything in it: wah, delay, flange, chorus, distortions, EVERYTHING.

DONT GET ONE!!

they are not worth it. they screw your tone up and the distortions are always terrible sounding.
Quote by ArcadianWarrior
Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait a second. I was browsing around on guitar center and I found something called a multi effect pedal.
Can anybody fill me in on that? It looks confusing to have that much stuff in one pedal but maybe I misread it.

And on a side note, to tubetime86, that's what I was thinking. It just seemed like Wah effects would get to boring after a while.

Multieffects are what they say... Pretty much every effect you could want in one pedal. The problems; as you said they can be a bit cumbersome to set-up and find tones you like, and eventually you may notice that the effects on these units don't stand up to the individual stompboxes. That said, for someone in your position, I think a multifx is perfect, it will help you figure out what effects you like, and down the road you can upgrade as needed. For a pretty cheap, but decent one I'd look at the Digitech RP series, I used to have the RP50, and it is pretty basic but covers most of the bases. If you want a wah and other expression pedal effects, though, you'll need to step up to the RP100. Also look into Line 6 Pods, they are pretty nice too.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by rkmad
the multi effect pedal has everything in it: wah, delay, flange, chorus, distortions, EVERYTHING.

DONT GET ONE!!

they are not worth it. they screw your tone up and the distortions are always terrible sounding.

So instead buy a couple equally terrible sounding low end stompboxes, that you will decide you don't like either? C'mon man, he's a beginner just looking to spice things up with a few effects. He doesn't know what effects he likes, or even if he does like effects, so why would he go buy $150 individual pedals?

Sometimes this site gets way overboard with tone. Get over yourselves UG, beginners are allowed to have beginner gear.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
i was just tryin to save him some money and frustration later down the line, thats all.

after i read your post i halfway agreed. he should get one to try everything out.

i bought one when i was a beginner thinking i would never need to buy another pedal.

i was sorely mistaken, and regret all the money i spent on it.

EDIT: i cant believe wah is winning 7-0! crazy. i like 'em both TS. honestly i would flip a coin
Last edited by rkmad at Oct 23, 2009,
delay is more satisfying imo, but it's good to get comfy with using a wah. start early.
Quote by rkmad
i was just tryin to save him some money and frustration later down the line, thats all.

after i read your post i halfway agreed. he should get one to try everything out.

i bought one when i was a beginner thinking i would never need to buy another pedal.

i was sorely mistaken, and regret all the money i spent on it.

EDIT: i cant believe wah is winning 7-0! crazy. i like 'em both TS. honestly i would flip a coin

Ya, I guess he should go into it knowing that the multieffects is more of a learning tool than anything else. Don't expect it to be your last pedal, but you'll save some money by learning what you like before you buy the real deal.

Anyway, I got ya, didn't mean to come off argumentative, if I did.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
yeh its just kind of a catch 22. if he knows it wont serve him forever its probably a good buy if you have the money, to try out effects for songs, and if you liked them, maybe go out and get the real thing.

ill drink for any reason! cheers!
Thanks you guys, your advice really is helping me to decide. At the moment I'm just flat out leaning towards a delay pedal. The reason why being that I actually do think I would like them. I've watched lots of videos with people demonstrating them and I can think of lots of fun ways to use them.
After hearing the above argument about it, I am a bit turned off by the idea of the multi effect pedal being a training tool. I rarely go to guitar center and I don't have the money(If I had a job this would be a different story). But since I don't really have that kind of money to buy a training tool and then a solid product I think I'll just get a solid product and stick with it for a while.

So at the moment I'm leaning on the Delay(despite all the votes xD)
Theres also another effect...but I don't know what it is. I'm not interested in getting it now, but just so I know down the road, is there a certain name for the effects used to make the high pitched noises on solos from Morello for "Like a Stone" and "Killing in the Name"? I'm not sure if it's multiple effects or a single pedal. But whatever he uses to make it sound so high pitched >_<
Or the end solo by Thomas Erak for "Mouths Like Sidewinder Missles", those are the only songs that pop into my head(although I think ^ doesn't use the same effect).
Last edited by ArcadianWarrior at Oct 23, 2009,
Quote by ArcadianWarrior
Stuff

That effect that Morello uses is a Digitech Whammy, it reproduces what you play at different octaves, and even intervals... They're expensive though.

What is your budget for a delay? I really think you would be better off to spend $60 or so on a RP50 or something similar and play with that for a year or so, then start buying pedals. Take it from someone who bought all the pedals they wanted, then realized he shouldn't have bought all low end ones... Look at my sig and you'll see what I mean.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
i love using wah. i use it all the time. (almost as much as kirk hammet.) i was jamming with one of my friends the other night at our universities studio and i used is roland space echo. sure the delay could make some cool sounds, and it was fun to ocsillate it, but i dont find it as fun as playing with a wah.

and also, i generally tell beginners not to invest in delays and some effects that can get crazy too soon. those that do often end up playing pedals instead of guitar. young players who buy delay pedals end up just getting crazy sounds and feedback noises with it, and are happy with doing that; where as a wah pedal will actually make you want to play guitar and practice with it. It did for me anyway.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Wah.

You'll sound like Kirk Hammett with it!
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
You can do more with a wah than just wah. With some decent gain and reverb you can get some very spacey tones.
wah is much more fun. a delay, you can only use it in so many applications for it to get it's use. a wah can add spice to your leads, CAN make some of your rhythm playing interesting and it is not just an effect, it takes technique to use it properly. IMO, the wah is much more versitile, and more useable.
Jesus Christ I never knew this would be such a hard choice
I like what was said about how using a Wah requires more technique and makes you want to play more. I'm not worried about only caring about effects though, I am still a noobie(only been playing guitar for 1 1/2 years). But I would never get to the point where I spent all my time on guitar just making up crazy noises. I wanna try to use it as tastefully as possible.
But I've seen some good statements on why a wah pedal would be better. Grr, now I'm lost on what I want again.
See, I would just buy the pedals alone. But right now I have a Fender Frontman 15watt amp. And supposedly those amps don't do very well with effect pedals? If I find out that my amp will work fine with effect pedals then it can completely change my mind. But the reason why my budget is tight now is because alongside an effect pedal I'm getting a new amp.
If I just get the pedals I don't want to have to deal with the possibility that they sound horrible through my low quality amp(although I can't judge since the one I have now is the only one I've ever played with).
Quote by ArcadianWarrior
So my birthday is coming up on Sunday, and besides getting a new amp I also want to get my very first effect pedal. I used to not be into the idea of adding effects to my music, but as my musical taste has grown I've really gotten into the idea of that kind of stuff.
But the thing is, a wah pedal and a delay pedal aren't neccesary to be a guitarist. So choosing between the two, I guess it's really about which one I would have more fun with. And which one I could do the most with musically. At first I wanted a delay pedal because I thought a wah would be to boring. But after hearing the riff for "Dirty Pillow Talk" I realize how much fun it could be to have a wah pedal.

Anyways, personally, what do you think would be better to have?

Seriously awesome song. I would say wah, but it would be really hard to actually get that sound from it. I wish I could get my wah to sound like that. Go for the delay. Big Sur Moon - Buckethead. That's all the reason you need to get a delay pedal. and tons of Fall of Troy songs use delay.

P.s. I wouldn't recommend a multi effects pedal. Too many unneccesery effects and IMO they're just a headache

Edit: Btw dirty pillow talk also uses a whammy pedal
I hate my sig
Last edited by QuantumMechanix at Oct 23, 2009,