is there a pedal i can get to get rid of feedback/annoying string noise? i use a distortion pedal and it always gives massive amounts of feedback.

If there is one, could you tell me a quality one to get? any help is appreciated. thanks, in advance.
Noise gate, or noise suppressor... I always get them confused. I think the gate is what you want and the suppressor is for hum... But wait for someone else to clarify.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Feedback will be controlled by a noise gate or suppressor. I suggest the ISP Decimator.
Quote by tubetime86
Noise gate, or noise suppressor... I always get them confused. I think the gate is what you want and the suppressor is for hum... But wait for someone else to clarify.

Yea, I think a gate is to control feedback and a suppressor is to get rid of hum/amp noise.

TS: Have you tried turning the gain down a bit and standing away from your amp a bit more?

Also, have you made sure that you're pickups are properly shielded? Poor shielding can cause a lot of excess noise. Its much, much cheaper to install proper shielding than to buy a pedal.

However, if you do in fact feel that you need a pedal look into either the Boss NS-2 or the ISP Decimator. I personally use an NS-2 and I love it, however a lot of people swear by the Decimator - so try them both out if you can and make your own decision.
Id either go with the MXR Smart Gate, or Electro Harmonix Debugger.....for suggestions other than the Decimator or NS-2
What are your setting on the disti pedal? If you have the gain cranked up you will get feedback that no noise gate can cancel. Turn the gain down, stand away from your amp and make sure your guitar is grounded properly as mentioned.

What amp do you have BTW?
I went through this a couple months ago and it drove me crazy. I tested out a lot of noise gate pedals and call it a bandwagon if you will but these people are right, the isp decimator takes the crown. Yes a bit pricey (ebay about 85-95 bucks) but it will save a headache for sure. Also good points about proper cables and making sure your grounds are good on your guitar. If you havent done anything to your guitar then i would check your cables and get a noise gate. Also if you have an fx loop send/return on your amp i found that to help with the noise as well, good luck
Schecter C-1+, Fender American HSS Strat
Egnater Tourmaster 4212
Mesa Boogie Rect-o-verb Head, rectifier 4x12 cab

NOT. N. S. 2.
Seriously.
ESP LTD EX400
Epi Explorer
Peavey JSX
Egnater Cab
DD7;NS2;ML2;RC20XL;BCB60;FS6;PH3
ISP Decimator
KH Wah
Pocket POD
Simmons SD9K

Quote by TheBodomBullet

Thank you, you've all been very informative and helpful (except you Mr_CiNiC, f*ck you.)
Love you too, babe.
ISP Decimator. It will shush up a noisey guitar/pedals without sucking tone. Very useful pedal.
Quote by Mr_CiNiC
NOT. N. S. 2.
Seriously.

Elaborate why. You can't just state something like that without a justification.
I owned it, ate my tone immensely. Got Decimator, and there was no comparison.
ESP LTD EX400
Epi Explorer
Peavey JSX
Egnater Cab
DD7;NS2;ML2;RC20XL;BCB60;FS6;PH3
ISP Decimator
KH Wah
Pocket POD
Simmons SD9K

Quote by TheBodomBullet

Thank you, you've all been very informative and helpful (except you Mr_CiNiC, f*ck you.)
Love you too, babe.
Quote by Mr_CiNiC
I owned it, ate my tone immensely. Got Decimator, and there was no comparison.

I find that very funny. I've owned one for several years and I've never noticed any affect on my tone. I also know several people who own one who have never complained of it altering their tone.

My Ibanez WD-7 sucks tone, my Sennheiser wireless sucks a little tone as well. My NS-2, however, does not.

There's a reason why the vast majority of pros who use noise suppressors use NS-2s. I'm not at all saying they are the end all, be all of noise reduction pedals, but they are nowhere near as bad as the people here make them out to be - they are actually very good pedals. The whole "tone sucking monster" thing is a complete exaggeration, as it is with most Boss pedals.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I find that very funny. I've owned one for several years and I've never noticed any affect on my tone.

same.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Give us a run down of your amp, pedals and settings used? A noise supressor seems to be the catch all solution for any noise problem. When it could something simple creating this noise or feedback. I can run my p90 equipped guitar into a distortion pedal with the gain maxed out into a tube amp with the volume way up and not get any unwanted feedback. Can even stand 5 feet away facing the amp and this stay quiet. Quality cables, properly done shielding, and the right settings can go along way.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
The whole "tone sucking monster" thing is a complete exaggeration, as it is with most Boss pedals.

The Boss buffer, I'm told, is not a a bad design by any means.
However, it can supposedly be greatly improved by replacing the existing bipolar transistor with an n-channel JFET. No need for additional circuit modification. Just one transistor change.
I'm trying to confirm this, and which JFET would work best, at the moment. Once I get a DD-6, it'll be the first mod I do. I'd do it to my EQ-20, but i leave that on all the time, so it's not really an issue.
Quote by dunkintate
what u need is a noise gate

i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Yea, I think a gate is to control feedback and a suppressor is to get rid of hum/amp noise.

no.

...oh, and I'm also one of the guys who can tell a difference between the isp and the ns2. night and day, and while I might not be a mod, I don't post here unless I know what the **** I'm talking about. If you're not hearing the tone-suck, chances are something else in your signal path has already eaten your extreme high and low freqs to an even greater degree than the ns2 does... or you have poorly developed ears, which I find is often, though not always the case when debating the side effects of the ns2.

EDIT: woooosaaaa...
TS, what kinda' cables are you using, and have you tested 'em lately?
forsaken: i've heard that before, but have not given it a whirl... let us know what u find out?
Last edited by GrisKy at Oct 23, 2009,
Quote by GrisKy
no.

...oh, and I'm also one of the guys who can tell a difference between the isp and the ns2. night and day, and while I might not be a mod, I don't post here unless I know what the **** I'm talking about. If you're not hearing the tone-suck, chances are something else in your signal path has already eaten your extreme high and low freqs to an even greater degree than the ns2 does... or you have poorly developed ears, which I find is often, though not always the case when debating the side effects of the ns2.

EDIT: woooosaaaa...
TS, what kinda' cables are you using, and have you tested 'em lately?
forsaken: i've heard that before, but have not given it a whirl... let us know what u find out?

Or maybe its just you have fallen into the bandwagon and its all psychological - you think theres a difference, therefore you hear a difference.

And most times it is the only pedal in my signal path so there would be nothing else "eating my tone".

Also, since you're the "almighty wise one", elaborate the purposes for a suppressor and a gate because there is a difference.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Or maybe its just you have fallen into the bandwagon and its all psychological - you think theres a difference, therefore you hear a difference.

And most times it is the only pedal in my signal path so there would be nothing else "eating my tone".

Also, since you're the "almighty wise one", elaborate the purposes for a suppressor and a gate because there is a difference.

try this: record yourself in 192K with and without the ns2. then use your eyes to tell the difference since your ears are inept.

and again, no, there's not a difference between a noise gate and a noise "suppressor," which is just the word boss attatched to the ns2 and nothing more. try to find another noise "suppressor." perhaps you're thinking of an expander, which is essentially a compressor in reverse, and amounts to a gate at extreme settings.
Quote by eyebanez333
Feedback will be controlled by a noise gate or suppressor. I suggest the ISP Decimator.

+1,000,000

Have one. Throw it in you amp's fx loop, preferably. It'll sort absolutely everything out. Alternatively, turn the gain down on your distortion pedal a wee bit.

What's the distortion anyway?
Gear:

Is what some junkies refer to heroin as. For me it's just loads of wires and good sturdy housing, but just as addictive.
Quote by i_am_metalhead

Oh, and by the way, frontloading a gate will kill feedback and noise from all previous pedals (clean signal going into your preamp), whereas looping a gate will kill amp noise and all previous looped fx (clean signal going into your [following fx] -> loop return -> poweramp).
Quote by GrisKy
try this: record yourself in 192K with and without the ns2. then use your eyes to tell the difference since your ears are inept.

and again, no, there's not a difference between a noise gate and a noise "suppressor," which is just the word boss attatched to the ns2 and nothing more. try to find another noise "suppressor." perhaps you're thinking of an expander, which is essentially a compressor in reverse, and amounts to a gate at extreme settings.
What's the point of posting in a thread just to have a stupid argument? wasn't it you who I saw do this in another thread the other day?

TS, try the other things mentioned like checking cables and shielding guitar before getting a noise gate.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
What's the point of posting in a thread just to have a stupid argument? wasn't it you who I saw do this in another thread the other day?

the point is to prevent people giving poor advice to those in need who admittedly do not know better.

and yes, it probably was me. i make it a point to target threads with just plain wrong advice.

Forsakn: ok, true, any noise gate will change your tone. of course, there are often times when the use of one is neccessary, and in those instances, it's more beneficial to use a gate that's less likely to slaughter the extremeties of your frequency band than one that's notorious for "tone-suck."

perhaps a better example would've been to say follow the same procedure as previously mentioned, except once with the ns2, once with a decimator (or smartgate, perhaps). of course, now that you mention it, the side effects of an ns2 on many ss amps are much less noticable than on the vast majority of tube amps (for obvious reasons)... ymmv depending on what you're using.

when in doubt, choose transparency.
Last edited by GrisKy at Oct 25, 2009,
Quote by slickerthnsleek
What amp/pedal/guitar/cables?

TS jumped ship after the first post.
Quote by GrisKy
...and again, no, there's not a difference between a noise gate and a noise "suppressor," which is just the word boss attatched to the ns2 and nothing more. try to find another noise "suppressor." perhaps you're thinking of an expander, which is essentially a compressor in reverse, and amounts to a gate at extreme settings.

Actually there is a difference. A gate is something that only allows a signal to pass through when its level is above the threshold (when the gate is open) and once the level falls below the threshold the gate closes. The signal being produced when you're playing generally has a level above the threshold and feedback does not - therefor it allows the music being produced to come through but not the feedback.

A noise suppressor is just that, something that suppresses excess noise (such as hum or amp hiss).

It just so happens that the NS-2 is a noise suppressor with a gate built into it.
Quote by GrisKy

I was searching around and I had to reply to your comments. I can't stand elitist fools like you who bash equipment because you think your opinion is fact. I also have an NS2 and it does NOT suck any of my tone, and I don't have "badly developed ears", as you so gracefully put it. Get off the boss hating bangwagon. For half the price of the ISP, the NS2 is a very good noise gate, and many, many people agree, hence why professionals use it. Personally I'd take their opinion over yours, as you clearly have an agenda
Schecter Blackjack ATX C1 FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (w/ Jimmmy Page wiring kit & Dimarzio Air Norton/Tone Zone)
Blackstar HT5s
POD X3 Live
Quote by WtrPlyr
Why are we posting in a 3-month old thread in which the OP has never replied?

Lol haha
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Partscaster
Bugera 6262
Jcm900 1960A
Quote by WtrPlyr
Why are we posting in a 3-month old thread in which the OP has never replied?

More important (also fun!) to argue tangents than help people out.

In addition to noise gate, and cables, I would make sure no power and instrument cables are crossed, and that you are on isolated power outputs if running a lot of pedals.

To my knowledge a noise gate cuts signal once it falls beneath a certain threshold, while a suppressor actively reduces noise in your signal (which the NS-2 does not do...)

I've found a significant difference between the transparency of the NS-2 and the decimator, there are a number of vids on Youtube that illustrate this.