I had a show last night in which I screamed 14 songs. Yeah, my voice is practically gone and I can feel the strain in my throat. I need to know how I can repair my vocal cords and throat before my show tonight. I know hot tea can help or vicks vapo but I want something that will aid me to where I can scream 10-15 songs tonight. Please help
your obviously not using the correct technique to scream

YES THERE IS TECHNIQUE to it

your my age and trust me if you gig every week and cant handle one night in a year or 2 you wont have a voice to maintain
Call the venue and cancel. You'll kill your voice even more, the best thing to do is to rest your voice. Learn to scream properly or don't do it at all.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Quote by Zero_Mike
Call the venue and cancel. You'll kill your voice even more, the best thing to do is to rest your voice. Learn to scream properly or don't do it at all.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Whispering can also be damaging to your voice if you do it wrong. Actually it can be just as damaging as screaming and it appears that you are not doign that right. Don't fry your vocal chords.

If you really want to scream you should talk to someone about how to do it properly. Martin is right. Keep that up and you'll have no voice at all in a couple of years.
Cancelling a gig is bad for business and I would never recommend it, however on this occassion your health is at risk. I suggest you rest your voice until it is better, then rest it some more. Then if you want to continue with that style of vocals you should learn how to do them properly and don't do a live show until you have practiced enough to pull off a set without any pain.

There is no quick fix for you to heal your throat.
Firstly, stop talking IMMEDIATELY. Seriously, do not speak at all. Write notes if necessary.

Also, it wouldn't be unreasonable to cancel the show. You really could do serious damage; the type of damage that will never allow you to sing or scream the same way again. But really, you need to consider working on good technique. This isn't optional. If you're going to make music that involves screaming, you have a responsibility to take care of your instrument, and honestly, you owe it to your bandmates and your fans to do so.

Do you have interesting lyrics? Consider a spoken word set.
You can't "repair" your voice in time. Just hope the venue lets you cancel without getting too p****d off.

You also may want to try a different screaming technique. Believe it or not, there is a proper method to it.

Quote by Chaingarden
Firstly, stop talking IMMEDIATELY. Seriously, do not speak at all. Write notes if necessary.

Also, it wouldn't be unreasonable to cancel the show. You really could do serious damage; the type of damage that will never allow you to sing or scream the same way again. But really, you need to consider working on good technique. This isn't optional. If you're going to make music that involves screaming, you have a responsibility to take care of your instrument, and honestly, you owe it to your bandmates and your fans to do so.

Do you have interesting lyrics? Consider a spoken word set.

This, also. One gig is not worth never singing again.
Last edited by Jimbosandwich at Oct 23, 2009,
Yeah, if anything, consider having your band do an instrumental set. a one night gig isn't worth losing your vocals for much longer. If you keep up what you're doing, you'll end up like the guy in Avenged Sevenfold. You absolutely have to learn the proper way to scream if you want to prevent yourself from losing your voice permanently.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
I hope you cancelled the venue.
Just as a follow up, if your voice is still gone, try some (hot) tea with honey in it. It helps your voice get back alot quicker.
I'm interested to see how this situation ended. Could you please post a follow-up TS?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud