So I just got an 16gb, 2nd generation iPod Touch. I've have heard about jailbreaking it etc. What does jailbreaking do? I have heard that u can download 3rd party apps. Some guy also told me that you could download anything on the app store for free. Is this true? Thanks pit, i know u will help *sarcasm*

Here is the jailbreak link http://www.blackra1n.com/
Gear:
Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0
Alesis DM6
Two Colling's acoustics (my dad's)
Ibanez SoundGear bass
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Ovation 12-string (also dad's)
Sony 5.1 system
Quote by Survivalism
There's no such freakin' thing as an iTouch.

He means the Ipod Touch ... derrrrrrrr
Quote by Survivalism
There's no such freakin' thing as an iTouch.

uTouch.... kids. YEAH
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Why are you asking the Pit seriously?

Google will help you FAR more...is it really that ****ing hard JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by So-Cal
Tonight theres gonna be a jailbreak
Somewhere in this town

See me and the boys we don't like it
So were getting up and going down

Quote by Duffman123
Its a game were you go to jail for ilegally hacking your ipod

It's not iLegal(cwutididthar), if it was, don't you think Apple would've made them un-jailbreakable?

Also, I've heard that if it does get screwed up, just restore it on iTunes.
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
Basically you can change the "theme" of your ipod. Differant backrounds. Yes you can download 3rd party apps but you cant get appstore apps for free.
My mate has it done. Its alright. Ill not be doing it though because im hard
Current favourite bands:
METALLICA
MASTODON
NILE
Quote by Duffman123
See me and the boys we don't like it
So were getting up and going down

Quote by Angus_Junior35
It's not iLegal(cwutididthar), if it was, don't you think Apple would've made them un-jailbreakable?

Also, I've heard that if it does get screwed up, just restore it on iTunes.

Lots of things are easily hacked, a lot of companies don't set out to try and stop it happening as it would waste them time and money. I'm not sure about the Ipod though, it does sound ilegal though
Quote by Duffman123
Lots of things are easily hacked, a lot of companies don't set out to try and stop it happening as it would waste them time and money. I'm not sure about the Ipod though, it does sound ilegal though

...but do you cwutididthar?
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
yeah it's true. my friend and I have both done it, and I've done it several times.

You jailbreak it and then you automatically get an app called "cydia". With that, you can download 3rd party apps such as the one to change the icon layout and lockscreen slider. You can also download an app that lets you get official app store apps for free from cydia.

I've jailbroken a 2G and a 3G. The disadvantages are that it can slow down the ipod a little bit due to the extra custom processes running (such as if you want as custom layout), and that those kind of features also reduce the battery life by a little bit. I have a jailbroken ipod touch but don't use custom layouts for this reason.

If you have a 3G, the processor slowdown is pretty much nonexistent. I've heard it's really bad on a 1G though. I haven't personally noticed any processing slowdown on either a 2G or 3G from jailbreaking though.

Oh, and it also voids your warranty if you jailbreak, but that's not a problem because if your device happens to crap out, just restore it with itunes to factory shipped settings (restore it as a new ipod), and then apple will never know you jailbroke it.

I highly recommend jailbreaking it.

by the way, blackrain is a tethered jailbreak, which means that whenever you shut off your ipod or whenever your ipod runs out of battery, you will have to reconnect it to your computer and run the blackrain program again to turn on/charge the ipod. Just never completely turn off your ipod and you should be fine; I just leave mine in sleep mode 24/7.
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
Last edited by ilikeguitar90 at Oct 23, 2009,
Use redsn0w or whatever the hell it's called. Jailbroke mine back in March and have only had to connect it to my computer to boot it two or three times since. It's good stuff.
Thanks ilikeguitar, but I've kinda jailbroken my 2G by upgrading it to 3.0(via a youtube vid) cause I didn't wanna pay the $10.....

But, I've been thinking of using redsn0w

would you recommend it?
Quote by silhouettica

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
I recommend redsn0w, yes. Took me like 20 minutes to jailbreak it. Any problems you have will easily be answered on the iPod Touch Fans forum.
Quote by Angus_Junior35
Thanks ilikeguitar, but I've kinda jailbroken my 2G by upgrading it to 3.0(via a youtube vid) cause I didn't wanna pay the $10.....

But, I've been thinking of using redsn0w

would you recommend it?

I think I remember reading that you said you have a 2G, correct? if so, I also used redsn0w to jailbreak my 2G. Worked flawlessly. I would say go for it
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
sweet, I'll be doing that as soon as my computer's fixed!

The USB is screwed up and I get the Blue Screen of momentary Death everytime I plug something in.
Quote by silhouettica

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
I did it to mine... I didn't like it, so I just restored it, it's back to normal. I might do it again thouhg...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Right, u have jailbroken it... it gets the 100% procent of the fun on the ipod. i have mine jailbroken, only 1% chance of crashing down and if it does, u can simply restore it back to original. You can change the heme and if u do jailbrake it, pm me and ill tell u the hack 4 getting free apps, like a million ppl have done it so why dont u?
all my apps r paid but I got them 4 free... think about the possibillities
you just looked at my sig