Page 1 of 2
So you got it, i'm looking for an amp, it must be off Ceriatone or any other company that works like Ceriatone (because i'm going to build it with those parts with my grandpa :O)

So here's the deal;

Cleans:
Must be good, Plexi and JCM800 cleans are ok, 5150 type cleans are not

Drive:
MUST be great, like 80's JCM800 or 60's SLP good, mainly because i'm goint o play rock n roll and hard rock

Misc:
-Has to have an MV/gain knob or no budge
-Must be able to stay clean during gigs
-FX loop isn't important
-MUST BE BRITISH VOICED (EL34s or even KT77s)
-Pentode Triode is a bonus but not super important

Artist Tones i'm looking after:
Firstly, Jimmy Page's slight live drive tone (TSRTS TSRTS should be a good example)
Slash/Izzy's crunch tone from let's say Welcome To The Jungle type crunch would also be awesome
Clean/slight break up tones of (again) Jimmy Page's live tone (Stairway and No Quarter should be good examples)
Also think ACDC's last album, the gain level is around Rock n' Roll Train/Big Jack

Right now i'm between an MV Modded JTM45/SLP, but i'm sure it's going to lack the crunch needed for Guns n Roses/ACDC going crazy type gain (then again Angus used JTM45s in the studios?)

I was thinking about the 2550 (Silver Jub clone)

Budget isn't super important, mainly because i will be building the clone/amplifier with my grandpa and he could cover some of the money part.

Brain storm GG&A!

LATEST UPDATE
Seems as though a JCM800 will have too much gain, and i won't require that much.
Basically i'm prefering Plexi breakup over JCM800 breakup, so keep that in mind please
Last edited by stykerwolf at Oct 24, 2009,
I started to post, then I read the title...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
apparently you really like the sound of jcm 800s...why don't you just go with one of them?
Last edited by JayLacelle at Oct 23, 2009,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Angus uses JTM's live, too. He cranks them, runs their output to a cab inside an isolated box, then mics that.

Maybe a Trainwreck clone? I'll check out the videos when I get home.

Trainwrecks are awesome, i have been looking at their schematics a lot lately, but there is no MV knob, i don't know if Nik would give me a schematic to install one.

Quote by JayLacelle
apparently you really like the sound of jcm 800s...why don't you just go with one of them?

JCM800's are cool, but i hear they do lousy Plexi type tones (might be horribly wrong here)
Why does everyone think AC/DC use a lot of gain? They have basically just natural amp breakup.

As for the amp I'd go with the 2550.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Master Volumes are for the weak!

As for JCM800's....Stock, I would agree, they do poor Plexi-type tones.
With some modifications, the JCM800 will do them splendidly.
The thing is that some of values of the JCM800 are different than earlier Marshall values. Changing them will allow you to get some more classic tones.

I have a little txt file at my home computer that I have compiled some popular JCM800 mods into. I can go and get it later. Everything's at home.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Master Volumes are for the weak!

As for JCM800's....Stock, I would agree, they do poor Plexi-type tones.
With some modifications, the JCM800 will do them splendidly.
The thing is that some of values of the JCM800 are different than earlier Marshall values. Changing them will allow you to get some more classic tones.

I have a little txt file at my home computer that I have compiled some popular JCM800 mods into. I can go and get it later. Everything's at home.

Normally, i would kill anyone who MVs a Plexi face, but in my case i might not be able to crank an amp, even in the studio :O

Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
Why does everyone think AC/DC use a lot of gain? They have basically just natural amp breakup.

As for the amp I'd go with the 2550.

When you mostly listen to Led Zeppelin, Duane Allman, Pink Floyd and The Who then ACDC seems high gainy :P
I'd say Zep has more gain than AC/DC.
I don't even think Angus knows how to use a gain knob. In an interview I read, he seems very gear illiterate.

and I understand. What's very popular these days is a VVR or a London Power Scale kit. I'm going to put one or the other in my VJ when i change it to an 18 watter.
Quote by stykerwolf
What's wrong with the title? I wanted it to attract attention so people could post and guide me on my tone exploration.

Just making a joke, that I am not one of GG&As 'Great Minds.' Mostly because I know damn near nothing of Marshalls...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Granger G50 Firestorm
Mako Makoplex
Baron MII60
Mojave Peacemaker
Axe FX
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by forsaknazrael
A Mojave Peacemaker would be amazing, if you could get it.

...but, alf, he's looking to build an amp, not buy one.

i would go for the Jubilee or the JCM800 and do some mods like forsaknrawdawda said
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
well, not many people will have heard of these, and they may be quite difficult to get hold out outside of the UK, BUT I think a Hayden would do you very well. I think the classic lead 80 would suit you best, but check out the Speakeasy as well!
http://haydenamps.com/index.php
Quote by forsaknazrael

and I understand. What's very popular these days is a VVR or a London Power Scale kit.

+1

i think ceriatone offers VVR.

I'm not well enough up on vintage marshalls to really offer any advice about specific models, sorry.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Spider III

All you need is mud, sticks and broken glass. I'll fix you up one right away.

I can't say I know of an amp that would suit you, but I appreciate your initial post and how much effort you've put into it.

Hope your search goes well.
Quote by AngryGoldfish

I can't say I know of an amp that would suit you, but I appreciate your initial post and how much effort you've put into it.

agreed, that's how you make a "what amp?" thread
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by AngryGoldfish

Thanks, i always use colours to attract attention so people don't have to read through paragraphs, sometimes i add a "Recap" section which goes like

-cleans be good
-drive be awesome
-tube
-awesome
-must be built
-british

Question:
I see the JCM800 2204 has a simple schematic, and only two EL34s.
What are the main differences between the 2203 and the 2204 besides the wattage/power? (tonally)
might be better to ask that in the marshall thread? that way you know the couple of marshallheads like gabe and andrew (al######whatever) will see it...

Edit: wow, you're on the ball, you've already done that. touche!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 24, 2009,
Quote by Dave_Mc
might be better to ask that in the marshall thread? that way you know the couple of marshallheads like gabe and andrew (al######whatever) will see it...

Edit: wow, you're on the ball, you've already done that. touche!

Yeah already posted there, now i hope with the evening traffic them two would see this thread.

Also, i don't really think i will need more gain then a preamp cranked plexi, even if i did i'm working on an overdrive pedal that should boost that. So i don't think i would/should be looking at the 2550 and/or JCM800s

Right now i'm leaning towards a Plexi 50 with a MV knob
yeah, i don't think i've tried a plexi. Or at least, I haven't tried one cranked. i know my 18 watter would have enough dirt for all the tones you listed bar the guns n roses ones, but then it has hardly any headroom, which isn't what you want.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you could always use your jtm 45 for cleanish/slight breakup and build a jubilee for your distorted tones

that seems like the better idea, that I would do for myself atleast
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
It was right in my face and i didn't see it! (the 36 watter!)

Looks pretty nice, has a "Master" Master Volume (controls both the channels)

Also has a recto tube...

Quote by JLT73
you could always use your jtm 45 for cleanish/slight breakup and build a jubilee for your distorted tones

that seems like the better idea, that I would do for myself at least

That's a great idea, but i don't think it will be possible because my grandpa doesn't understand "tone", there's no difference between an MG and a Two-Rock to his ears so i'm 100% sure he wouldn't help me on a second amplifier.

I do however love to build so i don't see myself ever buying an amplifier unless it's an extreme steal
Having played several Ceriatone models, my personal favourite is the matchless dc30 clone. Huge sounding, and has a switchable master volume. I also liked the overtone special, but, the 'Muchless' is definitley my favourite. Just a huge, dynamic tone. And plenty of crunch if you want that too.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Does anyone know what amplifier Duane Allman used?
All wiki says is a 50 watt Marshall which isn't super useful

Quote by jimbob78
Having played several Ceriatone models, my personal favourite is the matchless dc30 clone. Huge sounding, and has a switchable master volume. I also liked the overtone special, but, the 'Muchless' is definitley my favourite. Just a huge, dynamic tone. And plenty of crunch if you want that too.

Thanks for that bit of info, i've been looking at the Lightning lately, but it lacks the mids knob which i love to crank up
al112987 is a big fan of the allmans, I think. would be worth a pm, if he doesn't see this thread.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^that's why i bumped this thread, for Al to see it xD
Yeah i guess i should PM him since he isn't looking this way

God why does he have a long number after two letters, it's almost impossible to search him up

Downpost reply; thanks mate, i'm getting the feeling i'm posting too much :/
i've been talking with him in another thread, I'll tell him to check in here
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would go with the Trinity kit. It will be just as good quality as Ceriatone without the rediculous shipping. Trinity also has a more detailed instruction process that would be easier for a beginner builder (no offense if you aren't a beginner).The kit would be $350 plus $140 for the pair of specially made trannies. This is the kit I plan on buying when I get the courage/knowledge to build one.

http://www.trinityamps.com/Product_Parts.htm
having not heard of them before, but noticing that they're based in canada, I'd wonder if shipping from canada to turkey would be any less than shipping from malaysia to turkey. Maybe, I dunno, but I'd imagine either shipping cost would be pretty big.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
having not heard of them before, but noticing that they're based in canada, I'd wonder if shipping from canada to turkey would be any less than shipping from malaysia to turkey. Maybe, I dunno, but I'd imagine either shipping cost would be pretty big.

Shipping is my major problem, well since the only things i'm going to order off Ceriatone or something are the transformers and chassis which shouldn't cost outrageous amounts of cash

Quote by acdcrocks0323
I would go with the Trinity kit. It will be just as good quality as Ceriatone without the rediculous shipping. Trinity also has a more detailed instruction process that would be easier for a beginner builder (no offense if you aren't a beginner).The kit would be $350 plus $140 for the pair of specially made trannies. This is the kit I plan on buying when I get the courage/knowledge to build one.

http://www.trinityamps.com/Product_Parts.htm

I'm pretty sure they will lack the headroom needed, but thanks anyway!
aye
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Just checked the thread out, my suggestion for is honestly a bass spec 50 watter (so a model 1986). The best place to ask about the specs on this amp is the Metroamp forum or the vintage amp forum.

But you have to keep in mind that there is a lot more going on in Duane's tone than his amp, both him and Dickey Betts used the same amp, techs and acquaintances over the years have all said that they were bass spec, all you can really see in photos is that they're small box heads so they're 50 watters, not 100 watters. Thing is though that if you listen to the Fillmore East album Duane's tone is a lot more saturated than Dickey Bett's tone and it has that velvety, saxophone like sound which I've heard comes from EV speakers or CV speakers or JBL speakers.
i dont know how well this would do for you, but i have always secretly wanted a MV modded Kt66 loaded plexi. boost it with a your fav. OD and youve got pretty much every classic rock sound in one amp.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Did not realize you were in Turkey. Doh! Silly americans and their thinking everyone lives there.

no problem

and thanks for checking the thread, al112987
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2