I've always been curious about blackouts. How do they compare to EMG 85s? Basically i need active pickups for my Schecter because i've been playing really heavily distorted metal stuff lately, but a lot of the songs i write have clean intros and choruses and shit so I need pickups that can do both distortion and cleans fairly well.

I was thinking EMG 85x (bridge)+ EMG 60x (neck) but the X-series pups are so damn expensive, so I either have to settle with a standard EMG 81/85 combo (81 for bridge, 85 for neck) or take a chance and buy some Seymour Duncan Black outs

It should also be noted that changing to actives in my schecter would mean both of my guitars would only have active pups. So it's really important that they're versatile.

It should also be noted that changing to actives in my schecter would mean both of my guitars would only have active pups. So it's really important that they're versatile.

Use passives then? People can recommend you more versatile options there.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by RR787
Use passives then? People can recommend you more versatile options there.

I'm not looking for passives right now. Basically I want active pickups that don't kill the wood's natural tone, and want to know whether SD Blackouts or an EMG 85/60 combo or some sort of EMG-X combo would be better for the job.
Quote by Schism1985

I'm not looking for passives right now. Basically I want active pickups that don't kill the wood's natural tone, and want to know whether SD Blackouts or an EMG 85/60 combo or some sort of EMG-X combo would be better for the job.

But thats what active pickups do, you want what they don't do.

Why the 85 and not the 81 for the bridge?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
But thats what active pickups do, you want what they don't do.

Why the 85 and not the 81 for the bridge?

Yeah but, apparently EMG-X's and Blackouts don't do it as much, also I said that the 85 was for neck, the 81 for the bridge.
i say go with emg x series, i dont liek the sound of blackouts
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
If you already have actives, why not use this guitar for something a bit different? You say you want versatality, well if thats what you really want maybe fit it some mid gain pups for more of a doom/sludge tone, or maybe just high-output passives. What you are looking for is simply more active pickups, doesn't sound very veratile-minded to me. But I'm not really an active person anyways.

EMG-60 is better for cleans. JB/'59 or Tone Zone/Air Norton would probably do it great too, with more versatality and the sound of your wood.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
id say get the 81/60 and do the 18v mod. it really does wonders. im not sure if anyone has compared that directly to the X series (and written/posted something comprehensive anyway), but the description on EMGs website about the X series basically describes the 18v mod. X series are more expensive, or u could buy another $3 battery and spend a few cents on 3 extra battery clips at radioshack.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
If you already have actives, why not use this guitar for something a bit different? You say you want versatality, well if thats what you really want maybe fit it some mid gain pups for more of a doom/sludge tone, or maybe just high-output passives. What you are looking for is simply more active pickups, doesn't sound very veratile-minded to me. But I'm not really an active person anyways.

EMG-60 is better for cleans. JB/'59 or Tone Zone/Air Norton would probably do it great too, with more versatality and the sound of your wood.

Not to be a dick, but I don't know how much more clear I can be: I do not want passive pickups in this guitar.

I've been using mid gain Seymour Duncan Jazz Model pickups in this guitar for quite some time and although they're great for prog sounding stuff, they don't cut through the massive amount of octave fuzz, delay and other distortion/effect settings I use for quite a few of my songs.

All i'm asking for is a recommendation for either an EMG pup or SD Blackout pup.

Quote by xxunder-takerxx
id say get the 81/60 and do the 18v mod. it really does wonders. im not sure if anyone has compared that directly to the X series (and written/posted something comprehensive anyway), but the description on EMGs website about the X series basically describes the 18v mod. X series are more expensive, or u could buy another $3 battery and spend a few cents on 3 extra battery clips at radioshack.

I'll look into this, but to my understanding, they actually redesigned the pre-amps in the pickups.
I've heard the 18v mod being a lot like the x-series and blackouts too. Did it to my buddies bass and it sounds excellent!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."