Hey guys...
i wanted to ask about what kinda strings would be best for me..I have a Squier Strat iv had it a year now its my first guitar and i wanna change the strings..Im not sure wat size are on there at the moment and im not sure wat size or make would be best...So any advice i would appreciate ..
Thanx...
Yeah what tuning? If E standard, I'm guessing the squire was made for 9s or 10s at the factory.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
What tuning do you use? Do you switch tunings a lot? What style of music do you play?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
as you can tell by the lack of one brand being consistantly mentioned..it has alot to do with personal preference.

knowing what style of music you play, and what tuning you're usually in will help us recomend what size to get, but even once we know that.. some people like playing with really tight strings, and some people like playing with light, loose strings. again, personal preference.

it's been said already, but if you're playing in standard tuning, 9's or 10's are pretty standard, and your guitar should be set up for those gauges already.
They're stock with Fender Super Bullet .009"-.042"
I'd suggest D'addario XL's, .009"-.042"
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^I use the .0095"'s and the .011"'s - on my 25.5" guitar and my 24.75" guitar respectively.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I say get some elixir strings, and ask for some 9 gauge(this is the gauge you should have on there already.). These strings are a bit pricey, (they sell for £11 in my local shops) but they last forever. Honestly last for months and months, since I've swapped to them, other strings seem like a waste of money.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
How have you had one set of strings for a whole year? But anyway, I like Gibson 9s or 10s
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
I kinda like playing the bluesy stuff...I woudent really know how long strings last only had a guitar a year...Its standard tuning i dont switch often...When you say a 9 or 10 or 11 ect ect does that mean there thicker strings or the sounds completly different ?

Anyways thanx for the feedback sorry about my lack of knowledge we all gotta start somewhere
What kind of bluesy stuff? Like blues-rock/electric blues ala SRV?

Then I would recommend a recommend trying some thicker strings such as 0.11's like these, but that's just a personal preference (of mine anyway). It gives it a more thicker sound and just makes it easier to attack the guitar IMO.

You should also change strings regularly, about every few months - don't be like Yui - apparently you'll end up with a loss of tone and playability.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
When people quote a number like 9's or 10's they're referring to the gauge (the diameter) of the strings. People usually refer to the gauge of a set of strings by quoting the gauge of the high e string (the thinnest in the set).

So when people say 9's they are referring to a set of strings where the high e has a gauge of 0.009 inches. Most companies are fairly consistent in their string sets, so if you check a set of 9's from several companies, for example, the b string will nearly always be 0.011" and so on.

For a given tuning, thinner strings are looser and usually feel 'slicker', while thicker strings are tighter, a bit more difficult to play, but most people prefer the tone. Thicker strings are also good if you intend to downtune.

Since your guitar came set up with 9's and you say you don't really change tunings it would be easiest to put another set of 9's on, because it means that the guitar shouldn't need setting up for thicker strings.

As for which brand, it's entirely personal preference. Some of the most commonly recommended brands you'll hear are D'Addario, Ernie Ball, GHS, Elixir and DR. My advice would be to try a different brand every time you change strings for a while until you've figured out which you prefer.
This thread doesn't belong in GB&C. There's no building or customizing going on here.

(reported for move)
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.