Page 1 of 2
Quote by andyscoot
Because people like different things to you.

What is there to like?
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Sunn is a band where if you get it, you get it

if not, then you just don't get it.

thats all there is to it.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
It's a different type of music. This isn't music to play in the car, or at a party. It's music to listen to only if you are alone, and it puts you in a trance-like state, where nothing can make you turn the music off. It induces thoughts of the unknown, and wonder of the known.
No one cares if you don't like it.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by andrew12398
What is there to like?

The atmosphere.

That is the worst question ever by the way.
I KNOW!

It's like if Also Sprach Zarathustra was a metal song.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
the trumpets is what makes it imo

still, I skipped Hunting and Gathering again.

Its growing on me....slowly...........ever..................so..................slow...................l.................y
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
You should check out The Grimmrobe Demos next to see just how far they've come.

They're quickly becoming one of my favourite bands, can't wait to see them in December.
Quote by ChemicalFire
I watched a few live videos of them, convinced me that they were just a gimmick. Then I actually checked out their studio stuff, and I actually thought it was pretty cool.

Some of the scariest music out there for sure :O
From what I've heard it's impossible to capture their live performance.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Yeah, shit's too loud. I've already damaged my hearing (from just 5-6 shows) and now wear earplugs. I couldn't possibly see a band that's so loud.
I would kill to go to a Sunn show. Do they ever come to Aus?
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
I'd imagine so, they're doing a World Tour atm so keep your eyes open.

Playing here in December, I need to get some ear-plugs for it.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Not my cup of tea, it sounds like the kind of music druids would listen to
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
And why wouldn't you want to be a druid?
Quote by ChemicalFire
Question answered already, but yeah, atmosphere is something that is unexplainable. Just listen to it with everything cranked in a dark room alone. No rhythm driven shit, this is like ambient music from hell.
Stalaggh and music in the same sentence? Does not compute.
I'm getting quite sick of people mentioning them really. The recording of patients are just mean. Would you want your suffering to be the subject of amusement for others? If they were going for a dark ambient sound, Lustmord tops them.

Edit: @ Guy two posts down. Atmosphere > Technicality
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Oct 23, 2009,
Quote by eazy-c
I'd imagine so, they're doing a World Tour atm so keep your eyes open.

Playing here in December, I need to get some ear-plugs for it.

Glasgow ftw.

To TS: And Sunn O)) are a marmite band I guess, if you want something a bit accessible so to speak check out their collaboration with Boris... it's pretty awesome.
St. Mirren F.C
Champions of Renfrewshire Since 2006
SPL Survivors Since 2006
i cant really get into sunn0))) i recently got an album called monoliths & something? 4 tracks of this dark creepy noise, which is good, but only if it has some excitement to back it up. Sunn are REALLY UBER SLOW, i dont know many people that would not be able to create music like this, sorry fans thats my opinion. not technical or fast enough for me
Quote by crebbechi
Sunn are REALLY UBER SLOW,

Really? It's a bit fast, I think
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
Quote by crebbechi
i cant really get into sunn0))) i recently got an album called monoliths & something? 4 tracks of this dark creepy noise, which is good, but only if it has some excitement to back it up. Sunn are REALLY UBER SLOW, i dont know many people that would not be able to create music like this, sorry fans thats my opinion. not technical or fast enough for me

You obviously haven't listened t it enough if you don't even know the name of the album
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by The Kreator
It's a different type of music. This isn't music to play in the car, or at a party. It's music to listen to only if you are alone, and it puts you in a trance-like state, where nothing can make you turn the music off. It induces thoughts of the unknown, and wonder of the known.

Basically this. My brain turns to ****in shit when I listen long enough, feels good man.

Also, I'm surprised by the LP guy's use of P90s.
Quote by crebbechi

I swear, I'm gonna rip the fucking ears off the next person who makes one of these.
Philosophy > Life
Quote by genghisgandhi

Not really. Music has to have coherence, and Stalaggh has none.
It's definitely from hell, but not music.

Also, I've seen their live performances mentioned a few times in this thread, but they are really something that needs plugging. They redefine art... I would give a fair bit to be able to go to one of their shows (wearing heavy gauge earplugs of course!)
Last edited by raincoffin at Oct 23, 2009,
I would love to get really stoned and go to a Sunn show
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
I'm not into SunnO))), I don't get them either, but to be honest I could ask the same question in the OP about a number of bands that get lots of radioplay and mainstream coverage. People just like to listen to different things, and not all of it is going to make sense to you.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
i like my one friends explanation: "listen to sunn and imagine youre floating through space watching planets explode"
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
ill try them one day I guess so far... no cigar

that Stalaggh thing is okay
goes on a bit too long how about an intro into an album or some horror movie
I guess I can see its appeal but yeah *shrugs*
Quote by crebbechi

Sunn songs would be harder to replicate then any tech death song, I'd like to see you remember a 15 minute drone song live, let alone come up with something with such a powerful atmosphere. All it takes to play fast and technical is to sit in front of your t.v and practice scales and arpeggios over and over again. Something like this requires actual creativity and imagination, which is something i think is allot more important for music. Because ultimately their will always be a new band that be faster and more technical ,and the bands who use it as their main point in music simply fade away since their fanbase is just looking for musical gymnastics over something that actually moves people. "My Wall" is one of the greatest pieces of music ever recorded imo.While i rarely listen to these guys i will always have so much respect for what they do.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Page 1 of 2