...but not quite.

I'm trying to get a heavier sound out of my amp. What I can achieve just seems a little weaker than what I'm looking for.

My rig so far consists of a Peavey JSX half-stack, Gibson Explorer (stock pickups), and no pedals. I'm capable of getting a quite heavy sound, but I still want it to be more heavy, yah dig? I've played around with the amp settings alot, and I still can't get my sound as heavy as I want it.

The brutality I'm looking for would be the chug Cannibal Corpse gets in the song A Cauldron of Hate. It's the lovely chunky sound during the main riff that I want. And going more brutal than that would be a plus XD

There's no real limit to what I can afford, so I'm just looking for suggestions as to what I can do, such as get some pedals or new pups.

Also I doubt it's the tuning they play in, seeing as how I'm tuned to G#.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

tl;dr I want to be more brutal.
In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.

╔═══╗
║  ██ ║
╠═══╣
║╬  •• ║
╚═══╝
Quote by Mark G
An overdrive would do you well. I adore the Maxxon OD 808

Cool beans. i'll give 'er a look.

╔═══╗
║  ██ ║
╠═══╣
║╬  •• ║
╚═══╝
It'll give you that bit of extra oomph you're looking for. Max the level, gain at 0 and the EQing where you like it. Turn down the gain on the amp a bit to compensate for the boost in gain, and you're set! More oomph and balls without adding any (or very little) gain.
WTLTL 2011
Besides the OD which really helps alot...check out the MXR ten band EQ (M-108 I believe). Throw it in the f/x loop it really helps shape your sound for whatever you need. It has separate volume/gain sliders (all sliders are +/- 12db). By far the best investment to "shape" the sound.
Looks like I got some searching/testing ahead of me.

Thanks for the advice.

╔═══╗
║  ██ ║
╠═══╣
║╬  •• ║
╚═══╝
Personally, I say new pickups. Although I really have no idea what stock pickups are in his Gibson, I'm guessing they are NOT high output. If he gets pickups with a MUCH higher output, it will sound MUCH better (imo). He already has a great amp, and guitar. His pickups are what are holding him back... it's like now he has the volume on his guitar at 5 (no "balls" to his signal, still good though) adds new pickups... volume at ten. Ya dig?
I thint that makes sense...
Gear
Ibanez JS1200
Agile 3000M w/ Emg 81/85
Takamine FP450SMC-SB
Peavey JSX w/ Saxon 2x12 (Eminence Governor's)
Line 6 M13
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez TS9DX
u seriously cant get a brutal sound out of a jsx?

wow the other guitarist in my band has one and its insane how brutal it is.

remember its an active eq so its ages and then ages more to find a brutal tone. also more gain dosnt get u a more brutal sound less gain does turn the gain down n it will be come more articulate for that chug sound.
If you have unlimited funds, Pat used a Dual Rectifier on that I believe. That should get you that tone. Or for a bit cheaper (ok, a lot cheaper), the Crate GX is what Owen used in mid-cannibal corpse (Gallery), my other guitarist has a GX-130C running into a Randall 4x12 and it sounds pretty sweet.

Or you could try out some different distortions/overdrives/eq's infront of the amp?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Wait, you're using it with the stock Peavey cab?

Try it with a Mesa cabinet next time you're at a guitar store. Peavey cabs aren't said to be particularly high quality.

Maybe also check out the FJA modded JSX: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjaKJQIQ-Ko&fmt=18
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by DTay47
Personally, I say new pickups. Although I really have no idea what stock pickups are in his Gibson, I'm guessing they are NOT high output. If he gets pickups with a MUCH higher output, it will sound MUCH better (imo). He already has a great amp, and guitar. His pickups are what are holding him back... it's like now he has the volume on his guitar at 5 (no "balls" to his signal, still good though) adds new pickups... volume at ten. Ya dig?
I thint that makes sense...

Should Be a 500t in the bridge and It's hot Enuff.
bad monkey and 10 band EQ..... I have the samen prob with ma JCM 900 and with the Bad monkey everything's ok now, pretty heavy and tight and thrasy and cool and. and and....
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Quote by SWBS_DJ_GUITAR
u seriously cant get a brutal sound out of a jsx?

wow the other guitarist in my band has one and its insane how brutal it is.

remember its an active eq so its ages and then ages more to find a brutal tone. also more gain dosnt get u a more brutal sound less gain does turn the gain down n it will be come more articulate for that chug sound.

It's not that I can't get a brutal sound, it's just that I want it more brutal. So pretty much as heavy as it can get, and a little more.

Quote by Raijouta
Wait, you're using it with the stock Peavey cab?

Try it with a Mesa cabinet next time you're at a guitar store. Peavey cabs aren't said to be particularly high quality.

Maybe also check out the FJA modded JSX: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjaKJQIQ-Ko&fmt=18

Yeah, I'll give a few more cabs a try. It's nice because the local shop has a JSX head and a ton of cabs to choose from.

Also that mod sounds quite sick, I've gotta say.

Quote by mmjohn
Should Be a 500t in the bridge and It's hot Enuff.

The bridge is the 500t, but I find my neck pickup a little muddy. I'd prolly swap out the neck eventually anyway.

Quote by Adrian89
bad monkey and 10 band EQ..... I have the samen prob with ma JCM 900 and with the Bad monkey everything's ok now, pretty heavy and tight and thrasy and cool and. and and....

Thanks man, I'll give a look and a good ol' test run.

╔═══╗
║  ██ ║
╠═══╣
║╬  •• ║
╚═══╝
Last edited by Metallicaxp at Oct 24, 2009,