Right so I'm building my own tele at the moment. I've gotten the body taken care of with electronics and aesthetics and whatnot so now, logically, the next step would to be to put the neck on. Herein lies my problem. I went to put the neck on today and I noticed that the neck socket is to small for the neck to fit in. My question to you folks is could this problem be solved with just a sander, sand down some of the neck until it fits in the socket or should I look into other ways to get this done?
Quote by ironmaiden=life
Right so I'm building my own tele at the moment. I've gotten the body taken care of with electronics and aesthetics and whatnot so now, logically, the next step would to be to put the neck on. Herein lies my problem. I went to put the neck on today and I noticed that the neck socket is to small for the neck to fit in. My question to you folks is could this problem be solved with just a sander, sand down some of the neck until it fits in the socket or should I look into other ways to get this done?

I have had that problem before and a quick sand-job to the sides of the neck solved it. But make sure you only sand where needed, of course.
Last.fm

Good Trades:
lp_dude_2 / miketheslut/ kshands / alexmack

Quote by Steve-Mo
I have had that problem before and a quick sand-job to the sides of the neck solved it. But make sure you only sand where needed, of course.

Cool man, thanks. You didnt have any problems afterwards did you? Like the neck leaning to one side or anything? I'm just trying to cover all the bases cuz I'm really excited about this tele.
Quote by ironmaiden=life
Cool man, thanks. You didnt have any problems afterwards did you? Like the neck leaning to one side or anything? I'm just trying to cover all the bases cuz I'm really excited about this tele.

Not at all. Worked like a charm, just make sure you only take off SMALL bits at a time. Sand a tad off each side then try inserting the neck again, repeat until it works. The neck may take a little force to insert, but not too much, or else you may damage the sides of the pocket.

EDIT: I just realized you mentioned using a sander. I may be wrong, but I'd do it by hand just to be safe. I've had to do this twice before, and each time it took less than 5 minutes from discovering the problem, to having it fit correctly. It's probably a very small amount of extra wood, but this is just from my experience.
Last.fm

Good Trades:
lp_dude_2 / miketheslut/ kshands / alexmack

Last edited by Steve-Mo at Oct 23, 2009,