So here's the deal:

I have an Epiphone Dot that I absolutely love...the only thing I would change about it is the bridge pickup. The neck has nice jazzy/bluesy cleans but I want something a bit hotter in the bridge, something that breaks-up a little easier. So I ordered a seymour duncan sh-4 jb based on the countless great reviews i found for it.

My question is how nicely does this pup clean up? If I back the volume off to about half will it still sound true to the guitar?

If there is some other pickup that you think would be better for me please mention it. Thanks for help
From my experience, the JB is good for high gain stuff. And that's it.
MY JB sounds horrible for cleans as it has too much high end presence [good for heavier music, not for cleans].

TBH though, it could just be that a mahogany superstrat + JB = bad cleans.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I don't think the JB is a great pickup for cleans, either. The kind of responsiveness you're thinking of can only really be found in quasi-vintage pickups or low output modern pickups. PRS Dragon II pickups would be nice in that situation. I would also consider a PAF clone of some sort or another -- something to give you a nice open, raw dirty sound but backs off to chimy cleans.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
I don't think the JB is a great pickup for cleans, either. The kind of responsiveness you're thinking of can only really be found in quasi-vintage pickups or low output modern pickups. PRS Dragon II pickups would be nice in that situation. I would also consider a PAF clone of some sort or another -- something to give you a nice open, raw dirty sound but backs off to chimy cleans.

are PAF pups really that hot though? from what i've heard they sound clean even with the volume maxed
Anything you're going to get that's so hot to break up a Twin Reverb isn't going to back off into nice cleans.
Hi, I'm Peter