I just got a new guitar with ESP locking tuners and i dont understand how to restring with locking tuners. If you have any experience with this please help. What i did at first when starting to remove the stock strings is i loosened tuning machines a little and then turned the locking tuners and made them a loose. Then, i turned the tuning machines the rest of the way to release the string and two of them flung out and popped right out of the tuning machine!! Is this bad? I really hope it didnt **** the neck up or anything . And from what i now understand, with the locking tuners, yur supposed to just put the string through the tuning machine and then just tighten the locking tuner with the thumbwheel and just cut off excess string. So, does this mean you dont even turn the tuning machine to make the string wrap around the post?
Btw..if you have this particular guitar in see thru blue can you tell me if your flame maple finish has some minor scuffy looking detail around the tone and volume knobs? And also, is your finish kinda aqua green/blue looking and not very light blue like it looks online?
thanks a lot people!
Last edited by todrlz41 at Oct 23, 2009,
Yep, you just put them in, tighten it, then tune. That's it.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
On my ec1000 the g goes out of tune when i bend :S think i need to wrap them round more then lock them

but yeah the locking tuners are pretty easy to figure out (Y)
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by Shredx
On my ec1000 the g goes out of tune when i bend :S think i need to wrap them round more then lock them

but yeah the locking tuners are pretty easy to figure out (Y)

Wrong - you don't wrap it around at all - just put the string through the hole lock it, and tune - if you wrap around the post you didn't pull the string tight enough.
Quote by mark_wuk
Wrong - you don't wrap it around at all - just put the string through the hole lock it, and tune - if you wrap around the post you didn't pull the string tight enough.

thats what i did first time oh well.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
another question..should i probably take the guitar to a shop and let them mess with the truss rod etc. and restring it before i do it myself cuz ive never messed with a truss rod? And, since some of the strings popped off when i was turning the locking tuners, is it okay if i just leave the guitar alone or should i go ahead and restring cuz it couild cause neck damage?
Why would you think it needs a truss rod adjustment?
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
because i've read that if you change the string guage, the intonation will be horrible if the truss rod isnt adjusted..
Quote by todrlz41
I just got a new guitar with ESP locking tuners and i dont understand how to restring with locking tuners. If you have any experience with this please help. What i did at first when starting to remove the stock strings is i loosened tuning machines a little and then turned the locking tuners and made them a loose. Then, i turned the tuning machines the rest of the way to release the string and two of them flung out and popped right out of the tuning machine!! Is this bad? I really hope it didnt **** the neck up or anything . And from what i now understand, with the locking tuners, yur supposed to just put the string through the tuning machine and then just tighten the locking tuner with the thumbwheel and just cut off excess string. So, does this mean you dont even turn the tuning machine to make the string wrap around the post?
Btw..if you have this particular guitar in see thru blue can you tell me if your flame maple finish has some minor scuffy looking detail around the tone and volume knobs? And also, is your finish kinda aqua green/blue looking and not very light blue like it looks online?
thanks a lot people!

Did you steal that blue one at sam ash in huntington i was gonna buy....... had to get green....

soo sad it's always there till you come back to buy !
Quote by todrlz41
because i've read that if you change the string guage, the intonation will be horrible if the truss rod isnt adjusted..

You shouldn't adjust the truss rod unless you feel/see a difference in the neck.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
sorry if im late guys but do you have to leave any slack when you lock down the string or do you just put it through normally?