I'm debating whether to get a 7-string guitar or another 6. What bands play seven strings? I know the obvious ones like Unearth, Flaw, and Dream Theater (sometimes). Also, If you could recommend some good 7's that'd be great . My budget is ~$750 and I play mostly metal and some alternative.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
7 string thread.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
7 string thread.

I searched. I couldn't find it.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
dude if ur budget was a bit higher id say go with the ibanez xtp-707, but since its cheaper, cant help you man, srry. as 4 bands, necrophagist, whitechapel, amon amarth, its easier 2 use 7's to play carcass songs. basicly any band in drop A or B standard tuning
Quote by Minkaro
I''d congratulate him.

To be fair, he's done amazingly well to punch my hand when it's usually in my pocket.
Guitars: Ibanez Xiphos 707, Schecter Hellraiser & Atx Blackjack C-7, Agile has some indeed, Esp has some... But I'd mainly focus on the Schecters & Ibanez'.

As for bands: All Shall Perish, The Torture of Comacine, (early) After The Burial, Fell Silent, Trivium, ...

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

if you play those low tunings you'll want a 7-string. i use drop G with drop D for the first six. makes chugging power chords fun. but an issue is, i was talking to a winder in GBC, he said it's difficult to wind a 7-string without it sounding boomy. which my cheap ibanez is a bit boomy, i notice it more clean than distorted. an EQ with at lest 6-10 bands should help with it. i haven't tested that though.

point is, if you will use it go for the 7-stinger. if not just stick with 6. less options with 7, but their options get added onto constantly. so, if you will use it and can afford it. i say do it.
Well if you are going to be using the 7th string a lot, then you should go for it, but if you don't need it that much, playing 6-string songs becomes more difficult and you are going to have to alter your playing style.
Schecter and Ibanez are the companies you should check out
Dream theater, Trivium, KoRn, Jeff Loomis and Rusty Cooley I think all play seven's.

As for guitars, Get the Xiphos or a used 7 string Jackson rhoads I played one the other day there it was ****ing awesome.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Muse play a 7-string on one song, Citizen Erased.

Coincidentally its their best song.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car