I just bought a 2009 Gibson les paul standard and I took it out of the box and started playing, didnt set it up, or anything, do yu recommend that I go into a guitar shop and have it set up? Or does it not need to?
The only person that knows if it needs a setup is you. Does it feel and sound good? Is the action where you like it? Intonation check? I reccomend you read the setup sticky and checke everything yourself but do follow the golden rule.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Les Paul Traditional '08
Fender American Strat '99
Martin D16
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
535 Crybaby-Whammy-Small Clone-DD7 Delay

"I have a very high EQ--something like 3,000 hertz. If I think too hard, my brain hertz." Harrison
wait for awhile, the temperature of your house will make the wood expand or contract and could really mess up stuff like the action. dont get it set up till its been in your house for awhile
depends. They're supposed to do all that at the factory. If you're changing tunings or string gauges, I highly recommend it.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by britishsligean
if gibson do what they do with epiphones you shouldn't need to

My Gear:
Fender Custom Shop Time Machine 1956 relic
plus accessories
Your position and your relationship with music has to be one from the inside. - John Frusciante
and yes, my avatar is weezy, what?
If you'd just bought a thousand dollar suit off the shelf, would you invest another fifty bucks in getting it tailored to fit perfectly?
Most shops i know throw in a free setup when you buy a guitar that expensive...

If it came in a box and not off the shelf then it probally doesnt need one. But you should check its action and intonation to see if its in good shape.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

It's always good to get a guitar set up, the guitar was built in nashville and thats where it was set up, and i dont know where you live but still, its always a good idea to have a guitar set up.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
It won't hurt to get it set up if you think it needs one. How does it play and sound? I have bought guitars that were in dire need of a good set up and then there are a few I never bother with because they seemed fine. A good shop will set up a guitar but do not expect that from a huge retailer like GC.

John