Soooo some of you may remember that awhile ago I had made a thread stating that I got the chance to go to a month-long EMT course and would at the end take the national registry test.

Well....

I passed!

So now I'm a nationally registered EMT, but seeing as how I rarely get to brush up on that EMT skills and knowledge with my job, what are some good ways of staying "fresh"?

For instance, free online tools that teach/quiz, etc.

I have some books to quiz myself from and read up on stuff from, along with a nifty program of over 1500 questions, but quizzing yourself gets pretty old pretty quick.

EDIT: Btw I'm really excited to be an EMT. I know I won't be as good as a civilian one because I won't be practicing/have it as a profession, but I'd like to be really good still
My God, it's full of stars!
It's a first aid thing isn't it
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
It's a first aid thing isn't it

EMT = Emergency Medical Technician.

They ride in ambulances and can do some life-saving things
just do some practice situations with a fellow EMT.
or go through the 'checklist' of what to do any time you enter into a room, it should help you become more aware of your surroundings which is a big thing with becoming an EMT.
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
yes basically a first aid thing...like people that drive ambulances are EMT's, they have enough knowledge to basically stabalize the patients until they can get you to the hospital.
what certification did you need? i only have my AMFR
Quote by edge11

i've been thinking about doing this actually, there's a 3-month Intro Program in my city. It's not something I'm insanely attracted to but I DO need a career, and helping to save lives would be quite a nice one...
'never a victim,' the role model said,
bang-bang, the bad guy is dead,
always a rockstar on eMpty TV,
the lesson complete, now the child has needs.
Quote by TempoTantrum
i've been thinking about doing this actually, there's a 3-month Intro Program in my city. It's not something I'm insanely attracted to but I DO need a career, and helping to save lives would be quite a nice one...

Yeah, saving lives is always a plus
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
Quote by Grindar
Woooah, Dready, one month?

Mine was an entire college program that awarded as diploma, it was around 2 years after I transferred over all my biology and chemistry units from university.

Yeah one month haha, it was a lot of cramming
I'm planning on becoming a firefighter and then an EMT as a second job
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Cross train as a medic. The three people I never fucked with when I was in the Army were Supply Sgts, Mess Sgts and Medics.
Sounds like you like it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
You could always troll the pit and wait for stupid people to post their ailments when they cut off their toe and go into shock rather than going to the hospital, then you can run to their house and save them and take their virginity and first born child in return.

Also, the EMTs in my area have been on strike for a while, you'd think the government would want the people who are going to take them to the hospital, in like a car crash or something, would want them well paid.
*pupils dilate, collapses into a seizure, turns pale*

WHAT DO YOU DO!?
you brought a hooker to church?
Quote by ghostnineone

WHAT DO YOU DO!?

laugh.
Quote by edge11

Quote by ghostnineone

WHAT DO YOU DO!?

Throw you back into the water because you're obviously a fish out of water.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Nelsean
Throw you back into the water because you're obviously a fish out of water.

a mario cookie for you

Quote by Grindar

Medics were the worst. It was always "Here, take this advil," or "Here, take this claritin," but no, I was not in pain, nor did I have allergies. Whenever anyone got injured: "oh, I only have gauze and a tourniquet, I guess your broken leg will stay broken for a little while longer."

Well hell man. Everybody knows a broken leg requires 'tussin.
Airborne must of had better medics than you legs.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
I actually have a few friends with EMTs, and from what they've said, I've gathered that you can't get the skills you need from the book. The only real way is to actually run rescue.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by Jackal58
Well hell man. Everybody knows a broken leg requires 'tussin.
Airborne must of had better medics than you legs.

airborne medics are the shit

"DOC!"

"what?!"

"i got shot"

*medic throws compress at him*
Quote by Jackal58
Cross train as a medic. The three people I never fucked with when I was in the Army were Supply Sgts, Mess Sgts and Medics.
Sounds like you like it.

Well I'll do some slight bit of training with the docs on wednesday, as backup medical personnel during someone else's live fire, but I can't really cross train as a medic, just hope to learn stuff from them. Our medics are hot shit, so they have a lot to teach

Becoming an EMT however opens up some cool school opportunities for me though, such as a special operations course where goats get ****ed up and you have to save them.

Other than that, only other training would be a real-life mission scenario, which isn't worth it :\
Quote by Dreadnought
Well I'll do some slight bit of training with the docs on wednesday, as backup medical personnel during someone else's live fire, but I can't really cross train as a medic, just hope to learn stuff from them. Our medics are hot shit, so they have a lot to teach

Becoming an EMT however opens up some cool school opportunities for me though, such as a special operations course where goats get ****ed up and you have to save them.

Other than that, only other training would be a real-life mission scenario, which isn't worth it :\

Why?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
I'm an EMR, not an EMT :x
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by maggot9779
Oh thank god there's an EMT in here, I have this nagging pain in my testicles, can you check it out?

I see the problem. Your vagina sucked them in!!!!!!!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
Why?

Because someone in my squad/platoon will have been shot?
Quote by Grindar

Medics were the worst. It was always "Here, take this advil," or "Here, take this claritin," but no, I was not in pain, nor did I have allergies. Whenever anyone got injured: "oh, I only have gauze and a tourniquet, I guess your broken leg will stay broken for a little while longer."

lol... my brother's base medic perscribes nothing but Motrin 800...for every thing.
epic7734
Last edited by epic7734 at Oct 23, 2009,
Quote by Dreadnought
Because someone in my squad/platoon will have been shot?

Surely there is someone in your squad/platoon you'd like to shoot by now??

Seriously I read that wrong. I thought you were saying training wasn't worth it. I totally missed the context.

But really there is somebody you want to shoot isn't there????
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
I considered it a while ago actually, not too sure why, i think at the back of my mind whenever i thought about it i thought about the time when i was pretty young and i had a bad allergic reaction, and if it wasn't for the paramedics fast response time (they arrived about 5 minutes after the call), i would have been dead, so i sort of felt i owed something.

Unfortunately, i got a bad grade in science, even though i was good at the work and quite intelligent i messed up the test, although i failed maths and have no excuse for that, so there is probably no way i could have entered a medical field, plus i am quite clumsy so i would have caused more harm than good.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I work in an ER. EMT's do a lot of volunteer work there to accrue experience with the ultimate goal of becoming a paramedic. A lot of volunteer ambulance companies will take you on and some towns offer property tax exemptions and retirement benefits to make it worthwhile.

There is no substitute for hands on training. You don't get good at drawing blood from a book and you have to learn to get over the shock and awe of someone else's traumatic experience, learn how to get over your own adrenaline during those times, and learn how to be the most level headed person on scene to make life or death judgement calls. That only comes with hands on experience, in my experience.

Also, some hospitals offer tuition reinbursement for healthcare related degrees. It's a great opportunity to look into, so that when you get out of the service, you won't live a life like Rambo.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by mystical_1
I work in an ER. EMT's do a lot of volunteer work there to accrue experience with the ultimate goal of becoming a paramedic. A lot of volunteer ambulance companies will take you on and some towns offer property tax exemptions and retirement benefits to make it worthwhile.

There is no substitute for hands on training. You don't get good at drawing blood from a book and you have to learn to get over the shock and awe of someone else's traumatic experience, learn how to get over your own adrenaline during those times, and learn how to be the most level headed person on scene to make life or death judgement calls. That only comes with hands on experience, in my experience.

Also, some hospitals offer tuition reinbursement for healthcare related degrees. It's a great opportunity to look into, so that when you get out of the service, you won't live a life like Rambo.

If i had a pound for every time you said "experience"

But these sound like wise words, like i said, i am not a paramedic or anything to do with medicine, but it sounds like its paramount to stay calm in crazy situations.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.