i'm going to tryout for my schools jazz band and the competition is going to be tough. i know my 7th and 9th chords, minor pentatonic scales and the first position of the major scale. what else should i know? there's a while to prepare so throw it all at me. i would really appreciate it.
Ask the director what type of style he wants. In my highschool, it was ALL Freddie Green style comping. At my University, it's a more pianistic approach; less four-on-the-floor, more syncopated.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
i tried jazz band, its not worth wasting your time on. you never get to play anything fun, and your solos cant be impressive, just slow and on key. is that what you want to sit around doing?
Quote by Scutchington
May 1st 2010 I had a sandwich.

May 1st 2011 Osama is killed.

May 2nd 2011 I decided the sandwich I had last year was pretty good.
Quote by benomino324
i tried jazz band, its not worth wasting your time on. you never get to play anything fun, and your solos cant be impressive, just slow and on key. is that what you want to sit around doing?

honestly, i want to join to have some kind of organized group to play music with. i don't really know any musicians that want to play the music i want and jazz is as close to it as i can get.

and even if i don't make it, what you guys tell me should expand my playing.
II V I progressions, 12 bar blues, funk, etc. Make sure to at least know basic note reading, and have a good grasp of time signatures.

And I'm getting the feeling I have a pretty atypical jazz band; only a couple of our songs are true jazz.

EDIT: Instead of just basic 7th chords, know how to augment your chords as well, and know how to play other random chords, like the 11th, 13th, etc.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Last edited by Rogue Hermit at Oct 23, 2009,
Blues scales and 7th chords. Most of the music I play in jazz band is just 7th chords played in different styles. Most of the improv we do is supposed to be based off the blues scales.
Quote by angusfan16
I opened my eyes and found my mother standing next to me with my sheets in one hand and the other hand over her eyes. She said, "Why are you naked!" and i quickly tried to come up with an answer, but all i could get out was, "Feels good man."
Quote by benomino324

Fast does not equal impressive. And aren't all solos on key?
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Quote by metdethslaythrx
Blues scales and 7th chords. Most of the music I play in jazz band is just 7th chords played in different styles. Most of the improv we do is supposed to be based off the blues scales.

This sounds like a more blues based jazz than pure jazz..

It really depends how intense this group is. At my school there were a couple different groups with ranging skill levels. One would be mostly I IV V's and some II V I's with funk blues/jazz blues style whereas the other one was way more complicated with heaps of modulation and 3/4, 5/4, all these other time sigs..

So really it depends how intense it is..