Hi everyone,

I put a set of Gibson Dirty Finger Re-Issues in the bridge of my PRS Paul Allender SE. At first, i'm pretty sure i had them wired out of phase, cause my mid position sounded weak and nasal almost just mids. So I just finished rewiring them and the middle position sounds much more normal, but now i find that the DFs sound... well, plain.

Aren't these pickups supposed to be super hot? i'm pretty much a newb when it comes to guitars and stuff, but I had heard that DFs we're almost un-playable clean. The only difference I see with these pick ups is they're a bit brighter in the high end, but they deffinitely aren't much louder, muddy or distorted.

Am I just expecting to much or is this not normal?
What amp are you using?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I've been playing it through an Orange Crush 30r solid state amp, i'll be playing it through my old Garnet tube amp later this weekend, it's a 1980 combo amp with a 40w head and 2x12 cab
Quote by alex_the_cat
i'm pretty sure i had them wired out of phase, cause my mid position sounded weak and nasal almost just mids. So I just finished rewiring them and the middle position sounds much more normal, but now i find that the DFs sound... well, plain.
You should have 5 wires from each pickup. Please describe where you connected each wire.

Red -
White -
Green -
Black -
Bare/shield -

Oh, and we don't call it sounding "bland" any more. Now we say: "It just sounds Jared"
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Oct 23, 2009,
The DF pickup is wired as following

Green and white are soldered together and taped

Red and Shield on top of volume pot (i had the black one here first, but as I said earlier, I'm pretty sure it was wired out of phase)

Black is soldered to the bridge paddle of the 3-way selector switch
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Oh, and we don't call it sounding "bland" any more. Now we say: "It just sounds Jared"

not quite 3 stacks. but that's the first bland joke in a while that got me.well played sir.

if you wired it out of phase, it's gonna sound different TS

red is the hot on gibby pups.
Last edited by blandguitar at Oct 23, 2009,
it definitely did sound different, although i didn't see much difference with the bridge pickup selected, the noticeable difference was the middle selection, with the red solderd to the selector and the black to the vol pot, the middle selection sounded weak and all mid-tone, no body to it. after having re-soldered the red to the vol pot and the black to the selector, the mid sounds great, not all that different than the bridge selection. it just sounds a little less bright, the highs don't punch out quite as much. The difference is suttle
k, so you have the two coils of each HB wired in series. This is good.
You have the correct series link, so those two coils are in phase with each other. Also good.
Black and Red aren't all that important for which goes to hot and which to ground. Just so both pickups are in agreement with each other.

Next questions.

What is the resistance of your volume and tone pots?
Is your control cavity covered in carbon paint?
Do any of the exposed wires that are NOT connected to ground touching that paint?
If you hold down a string at the highest fret, how big is the gap between the polepiece of the pickup and the string?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
good question, i don't have a multimeter handy
Cavity is carbon painted
There are no exposed wires touching the cavity
Gap between strings and poles is between 1/16th and 1/8th of an inch, need to get it adjusted
Quote by alex_the_cat
good question, i don't have a multimeter handy
Cavity is carbon painted
There are no exposed wires touching the cavity
Gap between strings and poles is between 1/16th and 1/8th of an inch, need to get it adjusted
is there writing on the pots. or maybe even a stamping on the cover?
Something like 500k or 300k or 250k?

Gaps seem rather normal.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by blandguitar
a distortion pickup doesn't distort by itself. its just designed to sound nicer when distorted.

and about your thread title.

That's actually wrong, Jared. My Duncan Distortion does in fact distort my amp on clean.
Anyway, check the wiring, as said.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
That's actually wrong, Jared. My Duncan Distortion does in fact distort my amp on clean.
Anyway, check the wiring, as said.

does it really? i mean, i know they aren't as clean for cleans. but it doesn't sound like a distortion before the amp, not the ones i've tried anyway