I have been playing a Fender Stratocaster HSS (MIM) for almost 2 years and I plan on getting a Schecter Hellraiser C-1.

- What are some of the main differences will I notice?

- Is there a jump in quality going to the C-1 since it costs a few hundred dollars more?

I'm looking for more of a metal guitar. I play through a Vox Valvetronix 30W amp.

Thx
If you're looking for a metal guitar, you've definetly found a good guitar. The Schecter has active pups opposed to the passive ones on ur fender, which are best explained here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-459770.html

I havent personally played a strat b4 :-/ so I can't rele tell u what the differences would b but the hellraiser c-1 is definetly a good guitar
Quote by Don223
I have been playing a Fender Stratocaster HSS (MIM) for almost 2 years and I plan on getting a Schecter Hellraiser C-1.

- Is there a jump in quality going to the C-1 since it costs a few hundred dollars more?

I'm looking for more of a metal guitar. I play through a Vox Valvetronix 30W amp.

Thx

I love that guitar.
If you're looking for a good metal sound, that guitar is the right one for you. If you play a lot of songs with palm muting, you might want to go with the one with the Floyd Rose system. I find that one to be a lot more comfortable than the one without.
Quote by HailSlaytan
If you play a lot of songs with palm muting, you might want to go with the one with the Floyd Rose system. I find that one to be a lot more comfortable than the one without.

Hmmm. interesting. I'll have to try them both out. Why do I hear a lot of people saying to avoid FR systems? Pain in the ass to change strings?
Quote by Don223

Thx

It's a good guitar for sure, but hmm
If you're getting the one with a floyd rose, then obviously thats a difference youll notice.
Active EMG 81/89tws (Coil Tap)
The schecter has a fairly thick neck as well..
umm..mahogany body?
Quote by Pac_man0123
In my experience, a Valvetronix won't get you a very satisfying metal tone.

I get a great metal tone on mine, but I wasn't happy with it until I changed the speaker
Quote by Pac_man0123

I disagree.
Gear:
Guitars
ESP LTD M-1000 Deluxe w/ FR
Hamer XT-series SATQ
Fender Stratocaster
'75 Fender F-35 Acoustic
Amp
Vox VT15
Pedals
535Q Crybaby Wah
Quote by Pac_man0123

I'm actually quite satisfied with how my Vox sounds. The "UK Modern" sounds pretty heavy with a humbucker. I've only got the Vox and a Roland Micro Cube. I'm sure if I tried different amps I may not be as satisfied with the Vox. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Got any amp recommendations?
Just to be sure we're talking about the same model amp, this is what I have. Notice the "Amp" dial on the left. About the 2 O'Clock position is the "UK Modern" setting.

Last edited by Don223 at Oct 23, 2009,
I would simply go play an active pup guitar like that Schecter with a Valvetronix first. I think they can do passable metal tones on there own. I'd look at the new 6505+ 112 combo that is hitting the streets soon.

PS: I want a C-1 too.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 23, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'd look at the new 6505+ 112 combo that is hitting the streets soon.

You're talking about the Peavey 1x12 , right?
It's a good guitar, and I too went from a MIM HSS Strat to a Hellraiser. The hellraiser neck is much thinner than a strat neck, but not as thin as an ibanez. My hands are fairly large with long fingers though.

Definitely into getting a new amp...used ones are dirt cheap sometimes (and make sure you get teh t00bz).
Schecter Blackjack C-1 EX (BK Painkiller, DM Liquifire)
Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
ISP Decimator
Fargen modded Peavey JSX, w/ KT77's
Hardwire DL-8 Delay
Right. the 112.

My thing on guitars is if you are happy with the feel there are other things to spend your money on. I have an HSS strat but upgraded the humbucker. But did that after I upgraded my amp. If you just don't like the Strat then by all means find a guitar that feels right. You'll play more if you like your guitar. I think the VT is a fine amp but if you are wanting a better tone, a new guitar will not automatically fix things.
If you're looking for a new guitar, you're looking more for playability than sound. The C-1 would have an advantage with its 24 frets, possibly a Floyd Rose for crazy tremolo fun, and probably a thinner neck. This is all better for metal, playing fast solos and doing pinch harmonics and all. And of course, the pickups are more suited for metal.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Thank you, Red Comet, for restoring a bit of my faith in human kind.
Quote by ChecKxMaTe77
I disagree.

+1

Even using a sss strat i could get a reasonable metal tone from it. Its a good amp for the money.

(Please dont use this post to start to a "strat cant do metal flame war...")
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.