I'm looking to upgrade. I'm currently playing an Agile AL-2500.

AMP: B-52 AT112 All Tube 1 x 12 Combo

MUSIC: Everything from Lamb of God style metal to AC/DC-esque classic rock to slow, creamy blues to hard-hitting, rolling funk.

BUDGET: Around 500 USD. Preferably less than that.

POSSIBILITIES:

Dean Caddy Select:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Cadillac-Select-Electri-%20Guitar?sku=512931

Dean Z Black Gold:

http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-DEAZBG?source=froogle

Epiphone '58 Explorer:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-1958-Explorer-Electric-Guitar?sku=518454

Or any other suggestions?
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
please.. none of those. If you want a mahogany guitar, look into LTD's. You can get an EC400 w/ EMG's for under $500 used. You can't really get anything of a considerable upgrade new for $500.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
the black gold looks the best IMO.
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
Go used or, if possible, B-stock.
I payed roughly $530 USD (AUD$600ish at the time) for my Xiphos because in the factory it'd been chipped very slightly, then the chip had been professionally re-painted (in that same factory). Not suitable for what you want, but more of an example of smart spending.
Basically, Craigslist, eBay, Pawn Shops and just look around.
Quote by apak
please.. none of those. If you want a mahogany guitar, look into LTD's. You can get an EC400 w/ EMG's for under $500 used. You can't really get anything of a considerable upgrade new for $500.

I actually have a friend selling an EC1000 for 600 bucks but it's not what I want. I've played the one he has a few times and I didn't like the thin neck or the high-gain pickups. Definitely not suited for me.

Quote by buid
DEAR GOD LOOK AT THAT GUITAR.

You don't like it?

I picked around on one in GC not too long ago and it kinda swooned me. It's definitely a very weird-feeling guitar; it sits in your lap and plays like a Les Paul but the marginally more narrow neck and crazy horn give it an exotic feel.

Interesting instrument for sure, but I'm not sold on it.

Quote by 3lusiv3
Go used or, if possible, B-stock.
I payed roughly $530 USD (AUD$600ish at the time) for my Xiphos because in the factory it'd been chipped very slightly, then the chip had been professionally re-painted (in that same factory). Not suitable for what you want, but more of an example of smart spending.
Basically, Craigslist, eBay, Pawn Shops and just look around.

I wouldn't mind going used but I'd have to seriously inspect a guitar before buying it. I don't think I could go eBay simply because I don't think I could buy a guitar that's used without looking it over. I don't even like buying a guitar new without looking it over.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
All three are really nice guitars. I have played all three here and there. The DEAN Cadillac guitars are very good. I myself love Epi Explorers but the DEAN Black and Gold is also good. If it was my decision I would go with the Epi but I really like Epis. I also like DEAN I have a few of those too. It's really personal preference I could recommend guitars here all day long that I have played and liked but other people might not like. I played a used Devlin Wraith today that was very inexpensive and I loved it so I bought it because I like it so much. Some people would ask why I bought it but it sounds amazing and plays very well.

I always say this you need to try out guitars your considering so you can get the feel and hear them. They all look great but that doesn't mean they play or sound good.

John
I've owned a Dean Cadillac (and an EVO Special Select as well, among others) for some time, and I love it. Did I say love it? I meant LOVE IT!

But mine was a Time Capsule edition- kinda high-end.

My advice to you is to hold your fire (if you can) and save up enough $$$ to expand your budget to $750-1000. Otherwise, you may not experience all that much of a difference between your current guitar and your prospective new purchase. And that could lead to dissatisfaction.

That increased budget will give you a huge variety of new options.

Another option you might consider at your budget level is to upgrade your pickups. Sometimes, that's all you really need.

At one point I was considering getting a Malden Subhuman, and I've seen some great demos of it featuring its wide tonal capabilities- it can do more than just metal. But I wanted it as a baritone, and they don't do custom work...yet. And it is a $1200 guitar.

So I'm currently investigating the option of upgrading my EVOs pickups to the the Subhuman's Tesla VR Extremes...which I can do for about $220 + labor. And if you fear the small, unknown manufacturers, try Seymour Duncans or DiMarzos.

http://www.teslapickups.com/vr-extreme
http://soft.com.sg/forum/guitar-fx-reviews/37910-tesla-vr-extreme.html

A lesser-known brand that I actually have tried out is Lace. I had some Alumitones installed in one of my custom guitars, and they're AWESOME. However, I'm not sure Alumitones have the voicing you're looking for. Fortunately, Lace makes a lot of different pickups.

http://www.lacemusic.com/electric_pickups/electric_pickups.php
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 23, 2009,
I almost bought one of those Malden Subhumans. It is a great guitar but it was under $500.00 the MSRP might be 1200 bills but they sell for a lot less. I never heard of the company before that and wanted to look it up on line. Anyway I decided to wait and when I went back to the store a week later is was gone.

Actually just upgrading your Agile with a set of better pups might do the trick. I do not think Agile pups are bad at all but changing them out might be worth it and you get to keep a guitar you are familiar with.

John