Alright pit, im looking to upgrade my car sound system but i realized that i didn't know much about things regarding car audio. What things do i need to upgrade to get the best sound and power? what are good companies to look into? What are the components of a good system? etc.

just general information about car audio systems would be great!

A 50x4 Searchbar would be great in your dash to start things off.

Being not a douche, for a basic bass-heavy system you need a head-unit, mono amplifier and a subwoofer(s).

Head Unit: I suggest Kenwood or Pioneer personally

Amplifer: Running just subs? Go for mono. If running speakers with it? Go for a 2/4 channel amp. Or both! Hi-Fonics makes GREAT amps, and Rockford Fosgate amps are pretty good too.

Speakers: Generally cars have 6 1/2" speakers in the doors and 6x9's in the rear, sometimes with tweeters in the dash. For brands I'd go for Boston Acoustics or Infinity. Alpine makes nice ones that won't break your budget.

Subwoofers:
8"? I don't see the point
10"? Clearest subs, but lack the 'bump' a lot of people look for
12"? The middle of the road, solid quality, solid 'bump'
15"? The big ones, loud, deep, heavy hitting, but some complain that they can be too "muddy," or make the low frequencies blend together which doesn't sound good
STAY AWAY FROM CHEAP SUBS!!!!
As in all "intro" model subs (cheap Kenwoods, Alpine Type-E, Pioneer "Premiere", etc.)
I like the Rockford Fosgate Stage 3 Punches, RE Audio SRX, Kicker L5's, and Alpine Type-S or (preferably) Type-X

Also, for good prices and selection go to audiosavings.com
Quote by Kensai
When I wear it I have to fight off women with a stick. Ifyouknowwhatimean.

Quote by daytripper75
Today, 2:51pm EST: Prodigy179 has officially hit puberty.

They're eating her! And then they're going to eat me!
OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-
Last edited by Motoxracer433 at Oct 23, 2009,
Subs,amp, and EQ basically. And oh my god I love tweeters.
Want something that looks like spam but is actually legit?! Well I have the thing for you. Nah dude, I actually get legit MS points from this and do like 2 surveys and you can get about 400.

http://www.points2shop.com/?ref=EmoSlayer
Well my dad has:

2 RockFord Fosgate P3's(400 U.S dollars for each)-15 inch

3000 watt rockford fosgate.

And his system HITS

but those are JUST for bass.

You needs speakers for:

High's
Mid's
And Low's

for tweeter's I recommend Bullet Tweeters...they are MASSIVE but soooo freaking good
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
Last edited by williamdllr at Oct 24, 2009,
Quote by Oroborous
(Invalid img)

Irony?

awh who cares it's hilarious
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

You could always make your car better and faster instead of make it annoying and unnecessarily loud. That just me though, I like my music at a volume that allows me to actually listen to it instead of permanantly damaging my hearing and making me appear like a crooked hat wearing douche.
Quote by Amos_Moses
You could always make your car better and faster instead of make it annoying and unnecessarily loud.

You don't have to have a $1500 body kit to be cool. Do you spend all your time admiring it or driving/being inside? Why would you want to make it faster? I'm sure it already goes fast, and unless you want to wrap yourself around a pole there is no reason for speeding.

My suggestion.. 12" or 15" Sony Xplod subs, head, speakers 6x9". You could probably just stick with stock speakers on the doors.
Last edited by ShallowEndings at Oct 24, 2009,
Quote by Amos_Moses
You could always make your car better and faster instead of make it annoying and unnecessarily loud. That just me though, I like my music at a volume that allows me to actually listen to it instead of permanantly damaging my hearing and making me appear like a crooked hat wearing douche.

Or you could help and be relevant to what he is asking instead of giving your OPINION because I doubt you will sway his.

Seeing as you have a huge spoiler on your honda civic and probably a cold air intake and thinking you are the shit.

Have a nice day.

and to ts,What kind of system are you going after?

Balanced?

Bassy?

Trebly?
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Quote by Amos_Moses
You could always make your car better and faster instead of make it annoying and unnecessarily loud.

You don't have to have a $1500 body kit to be cool. Do you spend all your time admiring it or driving/being inside? Why would you want to make it faster? I'm sure it already goes fast, and unless you want to wrap yourself around a pole there is no reason for speeding.

My suggestion.. 12" or 15" Sony Xplod subs, head, speakers 6x9". You could probably just stick with stock speakers on the doors.

Xplod's are weak and cheap sounding.

Go for something real. Hit up actual car audio shops, not walmart/best buy. Let them guide you around etc.
Quote by ShallowEndings

Go for something real. Hit up actual car audio shops, not walmart/best buy. Let them guide you around etc.

Actually sony xplod comps hit pretty damn hard for there price.

But you could do MUCH better for a little more dough
Guitars:

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Quote by ShallowEndings

making it fast and driving it fast are two seperate actions, you can do one without the other. theres also responsible and safe areas to do that, most towns have a legal drag racing event for amatuers and whatever vechicle they want to enter in the event. i was in no way talking about body kits, i hate those abominations. if you werent saying i was suggestion those, i apologize for the misunderstanding.

also i admire my cars as i drive them and abnoxious loud thumps in my ear will not make it something to admire
Quote by ShallowEndings

Cheap? Something real? Walmart?

WTF.. Dude, that's where most people buy Sony from, an audio shop. And they definitely aren't cheap sounding. I honestly don't know what to say, to me that was a pretty stupid comment.

Quote by Amos_Moses
if you werent saying i was suggestion those, i apologize for the misunderstanding.

also i admire my cars as i drive them and abnoxious loud thumps in my ear will not make it something to admire

Yeah what i meant is kids these days are so obsessed with adding turbos and all that crap to make them feel cooler and add more horsepower. And than you add stupidy to the mix and their only contributing to their death.

And yes, sometimes the boom can get annoying.. What is annoying is that people listen to techno and love the boom, boom, boom, boom beats.. It all sounds the same
Last edited by ShallowEndings at Oct 25, 2009,
Quote by captaincrunk

Cheap? Something real? Walmart?

WTF.. Dude, that's where most people buy Sony from, an audio shop. And they definitely aren't cheap sounding. I honestly don't know what to say, to me that was a pretty stupid comment.

Not really. Sony Xplod's are pretty cheap. If you want quality audio you've got to go to a real shop...

Something like Cadence that you won't find available in walmart.
Quote by ShallowEndings

Not really. Sony Xplod's are pretty cheap. If you want quality audio you've got to go to a real shop...

Something like Cadence that you won't find available in walmart.

Well your entitled to your opinion, but i can't agree with you one bit. I think they are very good quality systems. Either way, if you have any system up loud your only damaging your hearing.

And why are your quotes of me not working right?
Quote by williamdllr

Seeing as you have a huge spoiler on your honda civic and probably a cold air intake and thinking you are the shit.

i have a 1993 ford explorer, a 2000 ford mustang gt and a 1975 chevy camaro im in the process of restoring, not only are none of those a shitty civic but they dont have a useless "spoiler". that would fall under my distain for body kits, perhaps you shouldnt be so quick to judge someone. im also a mechanic and i know what im talking about when it come to some thing that enhances performance
Quote by Amos_Moses
i have a 1993 ford explorer, a 2000 ford mustang gt and a 1975 chevy camaro im in the process of restoring, not only are none of those a shitty civic but they dont have a useless "spoiler". that would fall under my distain for body kits, perhaps you shouldnt be so quick to judge someone. im also a mechanic and i know what im talking about when it come to some thing that enhances performance

I'm glad to see you're not crazy about brand loyalty. Good stuff! I have an 88 crown vic
Quote by captaincrunk
I'm glad to see you're not crazy about brand loyalty. Good stuff! I have an 88 crown vic

big 3 is all good. 88 crown vic huh, nice find, those suckers are practictly tanks
i've always wanted an early to mid 90s crown vic, they just look bad ass and if its white people always slow down around you
Quote by captaincrunk

Well your entitled to your opinion, but i can't agree with you one bit. I think they are very good quality systems. Either way, if you have any system up loud your only damaging your hearing.

And why are your quotes of me not working right?

And you are entitled to your opinion also. But captaincrunk is right.
Sony X'plod is the MG of car audio.

TS.. car audio equipment isn't really known for its reliability to begin with. So by adding in budget equipment it may actually cost more in the long run. And there is plenty more to a system than the head unit, amp, and speakers.
epic7734
I have a 2008 Nissan Sentra and it has the stock 6 speaker system i believe.

i want a system that is balanced.

so what are my options guys? i don't want to spend TOO MUCH money on this but i want to get a decent system.

EDIT: oh yeah and i listen to mostly Metal(all types, death,thrash,prog,hardcore,etc) or Classic/Hard Rock. No Rap/HipHop at all.

ex) Megadeth, Guns N Roses, Lamb of God, Led Zepplin, Parkway Drive, Dream Theater, Buckethead, etc etc.
Last edited by WastedxYears at Oct 25, 2009,